E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Is this what XI handling feels like?

12-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #23
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
The front control arm and tension rod will not fit our cars. The rear subframe bushings will though.
Do you know if the //M rear sway bar will fit?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #24
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I thought only the UUC sway bars fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #25
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I'll likely try the bushings this summer. Links I'm not too sure about. This may not work with the XI.
After looking at the suspension diagrams on realoem it looks like Kev is correct with respect to the front suspension pieces of the 335xi being different than 335i & M3. Although based on the schematic the 335xi front wishbone does look quite similar to the 335i and M3 front wishbone (different part numbers and actual dimensions could be quite different).

The rear setup seems identical between 335xi, 335i and M3.

As for the bushings it sounds like some are not interchangeable between 335 and M3 due to different diameters. Rear subframe rubber mounts - which Orb claims are important to upgrade - are the same between 335xi and 335i, and can be upgraded to M3 version (pn 33312283383 and 3331228338).

Quote:
Seeing that your from the great white north and your snow clearing cant be any better than mine, I'd wait so that you'll get a chance to have them installed, setup and adjusted correctly on pavement.
More accurately I am from the "other" great white North - but do have Cannuck roots. You are correct about waiting for better weather, but that's a seriously long wait up here! We'll see how long I can hold out...

Last edited by HERR FSTIR; 12-18-2008 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #26
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
The rear bar should, coz the rear suspension is the same as regular I's. The front bars are different though.
      12-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #27
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

so the rear sway, rear subframe bushings, and the front strut tower brace from the //M3 will fit our cars, thats great news to hear and I will definitely be doing this once I purchase a suspension upgrade. Which, according to Orb, the KW V3 is opposite of BMW design according to the spring rates, which turned me off completely from the KW's after reading that. Not sure what to get now as far as suspension?

Also, which front sway bar should we go with? I think I read one post which Orb stated to get the UUC front sway and buy H&R bushings. This suspension stuff is driving me crazy, so much crap, well for me at least
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #28
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well if the rear setup is the same on i, xi, and m3, what parts do they have im common? Is the suspension the same as on the 328? Im just trying to get an idea of what parts I have exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #29
Universal_Magnetic
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

a few suspension mods should help...sway bars, coil-overs, etc. some better tires too
      12-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #30
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Im thinking of making a list of all the xi suspension parts so it will be easier in the future to find all the xi stuff.

And your avatar always makes me laugh. I think of that cat wearing the fruit helmet, all pissed off about his BMW not handling correctly.
I still chuckle from time to time over the avitar. You got it. My sour taste from the suspension is the reason I switched to this avitar.

I'm still trying to get a handle on what is doable for the XI. The front end is the main hold up. Rear upgrades appear to work and certain limited changes to the front end.

I'd love to see that list. Hint hint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
The front control arm and tension rod will not fit our cars. The rear subframe bushings will though.
I was thinking the front tension rod would. You sure on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Do you know if the //M rear sway bar will fit?
The rear M sway will fit but that alone will further imbalance your car. I'm pretty sure this will further introduce understeer which is what you are trying to get rid of.

Quote:
I thought only the UUC sway bars fit.
UUC's are the only thing that fit up front.

We might want to consult with Orb and the fellow from HP Autowerks to see about working out a similar list for the XI.
      12-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #31
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah, we definitely need someone to help us clarify what we actually need to lower the car about an inch or so, and improve the handling while reducing understeer
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #32
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post

I was thinking the front tension rod would. You sure on that?

The rear M sway will fit but that alone will further imbalance your car. I'm pretty sure this will further introduce understeer which is what you are trying to get rid of.

UUC's are the only thing that fit up front.

We might want to consult with Orb and the fellow from HP Autowerks to see about working out a similar list for the XI.

The nomenclature is confusing (especially after reading Orb's thread), but I think the tension rod/strut is referred to as a wishbone on realoem. Regardless, this is the one front end piece that has similar geometry to the 335i/M3. I wonder if Mr. 5 can take a picture of his (he swapped out a lot of his components) so that we could compare with our version. Should have him photograph it with a ruler or other reference mark to get approximate dimensions.

Maybe we should PM Harold and see if he can piece together an upgrade kit for the 335xi. He's got one for the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #33
ede92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

Does the BMW front strut brace fit a 335xi Coupe?
      12-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #34
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede92 View Post
Does the BMW front strut brace fit a 335xi Coupe?
Yes, the ///M3 front strut brace does fit on the xi's

The BMW Performance ones only fit if you have an aftermarket intake
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #35
ede92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Yes, the ///M3 front strut brace does fit on the xi's

The BMW Performance ones only fit if you have an aftermarket intake
Thanks vinny!

I put a Mazdaspeed one on my MX-5 and it made a significant improvement in steering feel, car's rigidity, and handling in general.

Hope it does the same for my e92.
      12-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #36
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

awd gives a plow feeling when taking turns as the front end grips with more and more load when breaking and so on which is why i hate awd.. but latly i have had the pleasure of a 535xi loaner(72k loaner) for my 540i while i decide what to do in terms of repairs and or buy a replacement most likliy an x5 4.8..

now to the 535xi.. damn the new xdrive system kicks some serious ass.. i was dominated a range rover while i was trying to pass at a red light from the right lane.. i mean he had no traction and i was going in 3-4 inches of snow going up to a foot in some spots.. i was passing everything.. going the speed limit where others were going 10-20 mph... then i saw a subi forester spin out ggoing down a hill and smacked into support struts for a rail road over head and totaled the car.. at the same time a loaner e 350 4 matic for an s55 in for maintenence and damn what a POS!!! even my father was like damn the bmw is way better than the merc.. in ever category.. i mean EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the seats, the interior, dash, shifter everything.. the steering, handeling, the road feel, transmission, acceleration, traction in snow, much much less plowing in the bmw.. the merc felt like a Chrysler.. i was extremely dissapointed in the merc to the point you have to be retarded to own an e350 4 matic.

back to the new xdrive system.. god dam in the snow it is awesome.. but is it really worth it.. the gas it used up was about 25% more.. which is nuts.. plus it wasn't as fun being an awd car.. too tough to kick out the backend and the added weight doesn't benefit anything in terms of feel.. i really love the new system much more than the old.. but it hasn't converted me.. sure if i lived in the mountains ok.. but in chicago? who the hell needs awd in chicago.. i get everywhere fast with snow tires in my 335..even in 6 inches of snow i have no issues.. i can still go the speed limit without fear of losing control. so if you don't need to go up and down steep inclines constantly i would say you are nuts to buy a car with awd.. mainly because of the waste of gas. and the fact your tires wear more and overall maintenance will be raised significantly. if you live in socal i think you gotta be on crack to drive an xi. but if you need an awd system i don't know many better than this new one from bmw..it was better than the audi i was in over the weekend.. we were sliding around on winter tires too. on the same roads that were worse earlier in the day when i was in the 535xi.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #37
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
awd gives a plow feeling when taking turns as the front end grips with more and more load when breaking and so on which is why i hate awd.. but latly i have had the pleasure of a 535xi loaner(72k loaner) for my 540i while i decide what to do in terms of repairs and or buy a replacement most likliy an x5 4.8..

now to the 535xi.. damn the new xdrive system kicks some serious ass.. i was dominated a range rover while i was trying to pass at a red light from the right lane.. i mean he had no traction and i was going in 3-4 inches of snow going up to a foot in some spots.. i was passing everything.. going the speed limit where others were going 10-20 mph... then i saw a subi forester spin out ggoing down a hill and smacked into support struts for a rail road over head and totaled the car.. at the same time a loaner e 350 4 matic for an s55 in for maintenence and damn what a POS!!! even my father was like damn the bmw is way better than the merc.. in ever category.. i mean EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the seats, the interior, dash, shifter everything.. the steering, handeling, the road feel, transmission, acceleration, traction in snow, much much less plowing in the bmw.. the merc felt like a Chrysler.. i was extremely dissapointed in the merc to the point you have to be retarded to own an e350 4 matic.

back to the new xdrive system.. god dam in the snow it is awesome.. but is it really worth it.. the gas it used up was about 25% more.. which is nuts.. plus it wasn't as fun being an awd car.. too tough to kick out the backend and the added weight doesn't benefit anything in terms of feel.. i really love the new system much more than the old.. but it hasn't converted me.. sure if i lived in the mountains ok.. but in chicago? who the hell needs awd in chicago.. i get everywhere fast with snow tires in my 335..even in 6 inches of snow i have no issues.. i can still go the speed limit without fear of losing control. so if you don't need to go up and down steep inclines constantly i would say you are nuts to buy a car with awd.. mainly because of the waste of gas. and the fact your tires wear more and overall maintenance will be raised significantly. if you live in socal i think you gotta be on crack to drive an xi. but if you need an awd system i don't know many better than this new one from bmw..it was better than the audi i was in over the weekend.. we were sliding around on winter tires too. on the same roads that were worse earlier in the day when i was in the 535xi.
We already have awd. This thread is meant to improve the awd handling characteristics. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #38
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ive started a list to see what fits. Please tell me any corrections or additions. Im going to add prices soon too.

-KWs 1,2,3

-M3 Rear Sway
-M3 Rear Subframe Bushings
-M3 Front Strut Brace
-M3 Front Struts

-UUC Front Sway

-BMW Performance Front Strut Brace (only with aftermarket intake)

-Hotchkis Rear Chassis Brace

-H&R Bushings
-H&R Sport Springs
-H&R Coilovers

-Eibach Springs

-OEM "i" Sport Springs

-Bilstein Shock/Spring Kit

Last edited by deletedelete; 04-08-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #39
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ive started a list to see what fits. Please tell me any corrections or additions. Im going to add prices soon too.

-KWs (v1, v2, v3)
I believe only the V3 variant fits xdrive models. You also have choice of H&R coilovers. You could add Bilstein shock/spring kit with an asterisk since this is reportedly going to be released in 2009. I am not sure if FK silverfox coilovers fit xdrive, but when I talked with guys at Supremepower they gave the impression they would work.

This is a great idea. If we can produce an accurate list of proven suspension upgrades then we should make this a sticky.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #40
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
I believe only the V3 variant fits xdrive models. You also have choice of H&R coilovers. You could add Bilstein shock/spring kit with an asterisk since this is reportedly going to be released in 2009. I am not sure if FK silverfox coilovers fit xdrive, but when I talked with guys at Supremepower they gave the impression they would work.

This is a great idea. If we can produce an accurate list of proven suspension upgrades then we should make this a sticky.
In another thread I remember seeing someone recommend the v2 because it was cheaper. I thought they were talking about an xi model. Ill take it off the list until I get a confirmation. Thanks

And once the list gets big and accurate enough, Ill create a new thread with the list which could be used as a sticky.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #41
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:

-KWs v3

-M3 Rear Sway
-M3 Rear Subframe Bushings
-M3 Front Strut Brace

-UUC Front Sway

-BMW Performance Front Strut Brace (only with aftermarket intake)

-Hotchkis Rear Chassis Brace

-H&R Bushings
-H&R Sport Springs
-H&R Coilovers

-Bilstein Shock/Spring Kit (coming 2009)
I have a feeling you will like it lot better with the stock front sway bar with front M bar bushing/clamp and keep the rest. It is very difficult to get the 27 mm bar to work with KW if your goal is a balanced setup. I am removing mine just for that reason. In any case, it is easy to take on or off.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #42
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
I have a feeling you will like it lot better with the stock front sway bar with front M bar bushing/clamp and keep the rest. It is very difficult to get the 27 mm bar to work with KW if your goal is a balanced setup. I am removing mine just for that reason. In any case, it is easy to take on or off.

Orb
Thanks for the advice. So the m front bar and bushing/clamp is something I can add to the list? Ive heard that sway bars in either the front or rear imbalance the xi and should be left stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #43
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

KW v3 and front and rear struts& sways cure *most of xi's problem....I driven a friends car who had those mods with a tune and the difference is nite and day....After driving his car and coming back to mine which is all stock with just tune and car felt less agressive and SHITLOAD of bodyroll is what you really notice....With the KWv3 the bodyroll was pretty much gone and steering response is alot better as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #44
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
KW v3 and front and rear struts& sways cure *most of xi's problem....I driven a friends car who had those mods with a tune and the difference is nite and day....After driving his car and coming back to mine which is all stock with just tune and car felt less agressive and SHITLOAD of bodyroll is what you really notice....With the KWv3 the bodyroll was pretty much gone and steering response is alot better as well...
I thought the kw v3 was replacing the front/rear struts?

kw v3 seem to be what everyone says but im still gonna go with the less expensive stuff first. And others have said that sways were not something that should be done. Seems to be lots of conflicting stuff about the xi still.
Appreciate 0