E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > MASK-II: Head Unit not coded correctly

03-30-2024, 06:55 AM   #1
stomi4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i

MASK-II: Head Unit not coded correctly

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I purchased an E90 325i (2005) car. Currently, it has the MASK-II system installed, but every time I start it up, it displays "Head Unit not coded correctly."

Since the car is relatively early in production and pre-facelift, I suspect it originally had the MASK system installed, which was later replaced with MASK-II, but the coding was not done correctly. According to mdecoder, it originally had S606 "Navigation System Business" installed from the factory.

Interestingly, the iDrive itself works, but there are some functions that, although they appear in the menu, nothing happens when clicked. I assume these need to be properly programmed.

I have a K+DCAN cable and have downloaded the Easy BMW Tools for E Series (NCS EXPERT, INPA, EDIABAS, WINKFP, TOOL 32, NCS DUMMY) package as well. I have successfully connected to various modules using INPA.

How can I correctly program the system to eliminate the initial error message and ensure that only the functions that the car actually supports appear in the menu?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 09:06 AM   #2
stomi4
Registered
Rep

Meanwhile, I also tried to look into things. If I do this only with the MASK module, can I solve the problem?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...e39+dsc+module

I'm a bit confused, I've read a lot of forum posts already and I'm not sure about it. Some places said that I need to code the car's VIN into the MASK module because it currently has the VIN of the previous car, which is why some functions are not supported by my car. Allegedly, this can be done in WinKFP.
Others said that this is not necessary because if I run the SG_CODIEREN job with the default profile in NCS Expert, it automatically reads the VIN and resets the MASK module to factory settings based on that, as if it came from the factory like this.

Could someone help me figure out exactly what I should do now?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 06:19 AM   #3
stomi4
Registered
Rep

Yesterday I managed to fix it, now it no longer displays the error on startup, and the menu options that my car couldn't even use have disappeared.

I followed the instructions from the previous post, only selecting the MASK module in the ECU section.

One thing I would correct is that in my previous post, I mixed up the abbreviations for VIN and VO, and it doesn't work exactly as I assumed back then. I'm reading more about it, so I'm starting to understand the connections better.
Appreciate 0