E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Terraclean Engine Service - Comparable to walnut blasting?

07-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #23
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
I'd smack who ever told you this on the mouth..... The Walnut Blasting is done with plastic every where to keep the mess down, and worst case scenario it's a sand media blast (a very fine tiny sand that you could leaf blow out of a garage). The chemicals would be a headache to clean up becasue of all the EPA standards for disposal -- think about it, if that shit cuts through carbon build up on intake valves, it's probably not safe to just dump down a sewer drain. Pretty sure dealer's are pushing the chemical shit cause they need to get rid of it.

The only "plus" that the chemical cleaning has on walnut blasting if it's done like SeaFoam, where you just suck it up through a vacuum hose into the valves. NOW maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want that carbon build up being broken off by some chemical & then passing into the cylinders
+1 Not to mention, I have yet to see any evidence of a chemical ONLY cleaning being as effective as blasting....
      07-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
ultimateracing335
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: blk 335i sedan with mods

In my car they let the chemical sit for 15 20min and it broke down the carbon. If it didn't clean completely they just vacuumed what was there and poured more in. The second application made it perfect. They put an egr valve from smart car in the chemical and it completely made it spotless. Those egr valves are notorious for carbon build up.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #25
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateracing335 View Post
In my car they let the chemical sit for 15 20min and it broke down the carbon. If it didn't clean completely they just vacuumed what was there and poured more in. The second application made it perfect. They put an egr valve from smart car in the chemical and it completely made it spotless. Those egr valves are notorious for carbon build up.
Did you see the build up yourself before and after?
What did they charge for the service?
How do they keep the solution from entering the combustion chambers for the cylinders that arent TDC?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Did you see the build up yourself before and after?
What did they charge for the service?
How do they keep the solution from entering the combustion chambers for the cylinders that arent TDC?
Thanks.
^ This?
      07-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #27
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
^ This?
I got the answer to my 3rd question myself from another source. Each intake is done seperatly after the valves are set at TDC. The other ports are covered with tape to prevent materials getting into the C.C.
Still waiting for ans for the other two.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Any before/after pics? I'm thinking about giving the stuff a shot.
Appreciate 0