E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC Stage 2 Hardware Requirements Question

09-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

GIAC Stage 2 Hardware Requirements Question

I understand that the GIAC Stage 2 tune requires some supporting hardware - FMIC, Down Pipes, Exhaust, Intake. My question is, is the intake really required or can I just use a drop in with stage 2? From what I've been reading about intakes it seems that very few flow much better than OEM. I'd like to get the stage 2 tune when I have the rest of the hardware but I really don't want an aftermarket intake if I don't need it. Anyone know what the consequences will be if I just go with a drop-in? Will it give me trouble or just not reach the max power potential by a few ponies? If we're talking the latter I'm fine with that but if it will actually cause problems then certainly I won't do it. And what are we talking here, maybe 10hp that I'd be missing out on, if that? TIA guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
From what I've been reading about intakes it seems that very few flow much better than OEM.
In fact, many flow better but few flow better AND cooler...most of them suck hot air and this is felt the most at low-mid RPM when the air flow in the engine bay is low.

Last edited by cstavaru; 09-15-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
k3silk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 & 14 M5

Quote:
I understand that the GIAC Stage 2 tune requires some supporting hardware - FMIC, Down Pipes, Exhaust, Intake. My question is, is the intake really required or can I just use a drop in with stage 2? From what I've been reading about intakes it seems that very few flow much better than OEM. I'd like to get the stage 2 tune when I have the rest of the hardware but I really don't want an aftermarket intake if I don't need it. Anyone know what the consequences will be if I just go with a drop-in? Will it give me trouble or just not reach the max power potential by a few ponies? If we're talking the latter I'm fine with that but if it will actually cause problems then certainly I won't do it. And what are we talking here, maybe 10hp that I'd be missing out on, if that? TIA guys!
Im with you on this issue I dont want to buy an intake I dont like they way it looks I would like to just do a drop in for my stage two. Oh well we will see as more people post.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

Same here - hopefully some of the experts will chime in - Mr. 5, Enrita, Austin!, etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
chancejat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

its been proven that the "hot air" dci's help a lot more then they hurt. the turbos do not produce as much heat with the less restrictive dci, so you actually make more power even though your sucking in engine bay air.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancejat View Post
its been proven that the "hot air" dci's help a lot more then they hurt. the turbos do not produce as much heat with the less restrictive dci, so you actually make more power even though your sucking in engine bay air.
+1 the turbos need to breath freely. An intake has to be used with Stage 2 because of the high boost achieved. To get more air they will spin faster creating more heat. Injen is a good looking intake IMHO.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
I am running a Stett CAI with stage 1 - just waiting for the the stage 2 flash to get finalized with the flashloader (map switcher). The intake sits in front of the driver's side wheel and if you cut away the plastic shield behind the mesh in the front bumper you are essentially force feeding cold air directly into the intake. Don't drive through deep puddles or standing water, though!

Do you not like the look of the DCI or CAI?

I like the way my CAI looks, just black piping in the engine bay, not flashy or noticeable at all

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

It's not that I don't like the look, but an intake just screams "I'm modified" to the dealer when they pop the hood and I'm not at all interested in swapping it out every time I go in for warranty or maintenance service. I'd really like to keep the engine compartment as stock looking as possible.

Also, I really don't understand how the OEM intake is worse than an under hood DCI. The OEM intake gets cold air but a DCI doesn't. So why won't a decent drop in work? Does OEM really flow that much worse than a hot-air DCI?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

I also don't understand why an intake like Dinan doesn't use the snorkle in front that the OEM intake uses. Is that not getting cold air? Why must it be routed down low?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
Wickede92
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
It's not that I don't like the look, but an intake just screams "I'm modified" to the dealer when they pop the hood and I'm not at all interested in swapping it out every time I go in for warranty or maintenance service. I'd really like to keep the engine compartment as stock looking as possible.

Also, I really don't understand how the OEM intake is worse than an under hood DCI. The OEM intake gets cold air but a DCI doesn't. So why won't a decent drop in work? Does OEM really flow that much worse than a hot-air DCI?
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
I also don't understand why an intake like Dinan doesn't use the snorkle in front that the OEM intake uses. Is that not getting cold air? Why must it be routed down low?
Look closer...it uses the snorkel down low PLUS the one in front...too bad it doesn't fit the 335is and cars with BMW Power Kit installed

I gained 4whp with my Helene drop-in, over the stock filter.

Dinan claims 5 extra hp with their intake on a completely stock car, which means the stock intake is restrictive.

However, since the stock intake can accomodate the 13-14psi overboost in the 335is, it is another reason to believe that a drop-in filter may work with the 16psi GIAC Stage 2.

Last edited by cstavaru; 09-15-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
The Dinan intake still uses the stock snorkle. It adds a new lid, with an additional cold air snorkle. It is the ideal intake, some company just needs to make a cheaper noncarbon version.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

The Dinan is a great intake that will flow probably enough since it draws air from 2 sides. Expensive but definetely very well looking and engineered.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
joyride
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M-Sport

Quote:
Dinan DOES use the existing intake track, but also uses a CAI type snorkle w/ filter routed down low. It basically is a new top and CAI for the stock set up. It's a really nice set up, but a little pricey for most.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

BMW is suppossed to come out with their own performance intake but it will probably be expensive
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
old account 1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 463whp 2001.5 Audi S4

Quote:
The factory intake box will create vacuum and cause power loss. It is much more pronounced (based on our testing) with the stage 2 calibration. While the factory airbox will work, it will definitely rob you of some power. In order to make the stage 2 numbers we advertise, a DCI or "Mr. 5 modded airbox" will be required.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
old account 1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It pertains to air flow differences. The openings (or lack thereof) in the airbox will hinder how much air can enter the engine under higher boost pressures. With two cone filters, there is more physical area for air to enter the engine. Even if it is less dense from heat, if you are doubling it, there will be more. This is also why Mr. 5's airbox works, he increased the amount of air that could enter the airbox.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC View Post
The factory intake box will create vacuum and ca[u2b][/u2b]use power loss. It is much more pronounced (based on our testing) with the stage 2 calibration. While the factory airbox will work, it will definitely rob you of some power. In order to make the stage 2 numbers we advertise, a DCI or "Mr. 5 modded airbox" will be required.
Is catless downpipes ok with stage 2 or do you need full exhaust? If so what exactly is the restriction in the stock exhaust? Many have found the stock exhaust to work good at high hp levels.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
old account 1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Is catless downpipes ok with stage 2 or do you need full exhaust? If so what exactly is the restriction in the stock exhaust? Many have found the stock exhaust to work good at high hp levels.
The stock exhaust works, the secondary cats simply make EGTs climb. Though we want this software to be significantly more aggressive, we don't want to allow temperatures to operate at continually high levels. It has never been a matter of can, or can't; but rather, should or shoudn't.

For what it's worth, some of our testers used the stock exhaust and simply removed the secondary cats with good success.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

My understanding from previous PMs with Austin is that stage 2 (not 2+) absolutely requires an FMIC and downpipes. Second cat delete, exhaust and intake are recommended (for more gains) but are not necessary.

I don't know if these requirements and recommendations have changed. They might be putting together an official document right now before release. Who knows? If not, might be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #21
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

You guys are good - now I'm understanding...

I didn't realize Dinan used both - that makes a lot more sense.

So Austin, regarding the cats..., I have an AE catless exhaust right now and I'd rather run cats instead of a DP fix. So are you saying I'd be better off getting a set of high-flow catted DPs instead of cats down further in the system? I was thinking the opposite and was planning to get AE high-flow cats, add them into my exhaust, and go with catless DPs. The problem here is that AE no longer sells the high-flow cats so if I'm good to go with catted DPs that would be great. Also, am I correct in assuming that if I go with catted DPs (thinking of Macht Schnell or AR) I won't need the DP fix?

Thanks again, guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #22
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC View Post
For what it's worth, some of our testers used the stock exhaust and simply removed the secondary cats with good success.
Thanks, that was my next question. So basically a fully catless setup is recommended with stage 2, whether it be secondary cat delete, catless midpipe, or aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0