E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > A Look At What GIAC Has Been Up To...

07-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

A Look At What GIAC Has Been Up To...

I have been receiving many emails and PM's about our 18 psi Race file, and I can now say that testing and analysis is officially underway. While the Evolution Racewerks 135i has been successfully running this file for a number of races, we wanted to bring the car to our facilities for some analysis and further testing. Now that we have the car in our possession, we can finally get to work on the new Race file, and hopefully have a possible release date in sight. I will keep everyone updated as to the development of the new file, but in the meantime here is some video footage of our early testing with the ER 135i!

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Wowzerz. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
12beat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: it's nice

Woohoo! Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
E90335iflyer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5,BMW 335i, Porsche GT3
Location: JFK, SFO, LAX, NRT, TPE, PVG, HKG, LHR, ATH, MUC, FRA, SIN

Thomas,

What other mods are required to run such an aggressive tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90335iflyer View Post
Thomas,

What other mods are required to run such an aggressive tune?
This would be a Stage 2 Race file. As such, you would need the required Stage 2 hardware (upgraded intake, intercooler, downpipes) plus 100 octane or water-methanol injection.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

If we run meth, is there a built in fail safe for meth failure? Can I drive it if I run out of meth?
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
If we run meth, is there a built in fail safe for meth failure? Can I drive it if I run out of meth?
The DME acts as a built in fail-safe when you allow it to function properly. If meth flow lessens or comes to a halt, the DME will be able to pull the necessary timing. If you run out of meth, I would recommend switching back to the pump file using the handheld switcher. While the Race file can pull enough timing to run on regular octane, it is easy enough to simply switch back to the pump file.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

That race file ran great on track days, glad to see it might be going public soon
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
That race file ran great on track days, glad to see it might be going public soon
What fuel did you use with it ? If you also used methanol, what concentration did you use ?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
What fuel did you use with it ? If you also used methanol, what concentration did you use ?

Thanks !
ER may feel free to chime in, but there are confidentiality agreements with the race teams for competitive purposes.

I can say though, if we release this file it would be as a Race only file. Meaning that it would need to be utilized with 100 octane fuel or 91/93 with water-methanol injection (50/50).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
dicostal
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

kewl. this is something I would totally get depending on the power gains. Please let me know when it will be available to the public and supported methanol kits :-)

I am on stage II now and I love my GIAC tune.

Thank you
      07-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal View Post
kewl. this is something I would totally get depending on the power gains. Please let me know when it will be available to the public and supported methanol kits :-)

I am on stage II now and I love my GIAC tune.

Thank you
I will certainly make sure that everyone know when this file is available. In the meantime, if you have the current Race file with your Stage 2 I encourage you to give it a try with water-methanol injection (if you planned on installing this upgrade).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Wduck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan, auto black

That is going to be sweeeeet! I have a meth kit in the mail and I'm running stage 2. By the way, can I use the map switcher on the fly? I've always wondered.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wduck View Post
That is going to be sweeeeet! I have a meth kit in the mail and I'm running stage 2. By the way, can I use the map switcher on the fly? I've always wondered.
While we don't recommend it (due to legality issues with operating a device while driving), you can use it on the fly. If you are in a rush, I would recommend switching while you are stopped at a light or stop sign.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by normano View Post
no offense, thomas, but are you sure you want to go on record saying this? the DME is fantastic in the n54, but it's not a viable failsafe for running too aggressive of a tune, when meth runs out. my confidence in GIAC is lessened somewhat, if this is the company's stance.
So tell me, what does your fail-safe do when methanol runs out? Have you logged this event?

I have posted on this topic numerous times, but I realize that it has come to the point where many individuals are just tied to their beliefs. At this point, all I can really do is point to our track record. If we have been preaching misinformation for 20 years, would we still be here? Still be powering GP cars, Le Mans cars, endurance teams, and working with OEM manufacturers?

Just last week we tuned a customer's V10 R8 Twin Turbo. This vehicle has now become a dedicated track car, with a fully gutted interior and roll cage. And guess what? It is running GIAC software with water-methanol injection. And believe it or not, it does not have a flow meter that will trigger a boost cut. Crazy, I know, but I suppose that since so much was spent on this vehicle the owner couldn't spare the change for a "fail-safe".

But nobody wants to hear about these vehicles, they only want to state their opinions and ignore the logic of facts. There are different ways to go about controlling the engine's functions, and with certain methods come the need for other systems in place.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Just curious, but why do you suggest changing maps once the methanol runs out if the DME will pull timing safely anyways? Does it change performance? I'm just curious.

Also, wouldn't this mean that the DME would safely pull timing on other flash tunes (Such as RennTech and Cobb) if they were running tuned for and running meth but ran out?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADebelius View Post
Just curious, but why do you suggest changing maps once the methanol runs out if the DME will pull timing safely anyways? Does it change performance? I'm just curious.

Also, wouldn't this mean that the DME would safely pull timing on other flash tunes (Such as RennTech and Cobb) if they were running tuned for and running meth but ran out?
If you already know that you do not have the recommended octane level, it is easy enough to just switch to another file using the Flash Loader (a second process).

The main reason though is that the DME will over-correct. In this instance, you will actually have less power than you would on the normal Pump file.

We take the time to remap the entire DME. The benefit of this is that the DME knows exactly what is happening at all times. There is no setting unattainable boost limits to make power, no falsifying IAT's to keep boost pressure up, no fake values to overcome torque request limits.

By receiving all signals exactly as they are occurring, the DME can now take action as it needs to. I cannot necessarily say that this is the case with all flash tunes. There are certain obstacles to overcome when you are only flashing maps.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC View Post
The DME acts as a built in fail-safe when you allow it to function properly. If meth flow lessens or comes to a halt, the DME will be able to pull the necessary timing. If you run out of meth, I would recommend switching back to the pump file using the handheld switcher. While the Race file can pull enough timing to run on regular octane, it is easy enough to simply switch back to the pump file.
I would highly recommend running a simple failsafe such as the AEM Failsafe or even Aquamist HSF-4. You can set them so if there is less flow then required they can trigger the wastegates to open up or something.

Relying on the DME to react is playing with fire.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Ah gotcha, that's cool. Learn something new everyday!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I would highly recommend running a simple failsafe such as the AEM Failsafe or even Aquamist HSF-4. You can set them so if there is less flow then required they can trigger the wastegates to open up or something.

Relying on the DME to react is playing with fire.
Regardless of what triggers the event, the DME is always the reactor. So you can have the DME tell itself to react, or you can have an external device tell the DME to react.

So what is more efficient? When you speak to the media through a translator, or when you speak directly?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

Omg Wowzers!

Video Of It On The Dyno! So Gangsta!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC View Post
Regardless of what triggers the event, the DME is always the reactor. So you can have the DME tell itself to react, or you can have an external device tell the DME to react.

So what is more efficient? When you speak to the media through a translator, or when you speak directly?
Thomas no need to be so defensive. I hope you know there are a few individuals who've had their engines blow running methanol and high boost with hopes of having the DME react fast enough.

I consider people in this community my friends and therefore I would never recommend relying on the DME when there are perfectly good options out there to aid them.

Actions speak louder then words. IF you are that confident in your approach then have one of your cars go out on the track and purposely cut out methanol completely mid pull in the top of 4th gear, then we will see how your theory holds up. In the meantime it is all hearsay. You would think someone in your industry would have a more conservative approach.

High boost 4th gear, full load at 18 PSI, how many degree of ignition does your tune run at 4500 RPM? Without methanol it would likely need -2 to 0 degrees ignition in the mid-range. Last I remember the DME can only respond to -3 degrees per stroke.

Last I remember most methanol cars run 10 degrees in the mid-range and can ramp up to upwards of 14 by redline. So if your at 10 degrees and need to get down to 0 degrees ignition for no meth flow, that is atleast 3 strokes of extreme knock in a high load gear, I dont think anyone here finds that appetizing.
Appreciate 0