E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 328i Sedan mods on a budget

07-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #23
dhc905
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Would a 2ndary cat delete create an emissions an issue? Do any of the intake or exhaust mods impact emissions testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Secondary cat delete. Dyno tested to add hp. Cheap. 3 stage intake manifold. added torque. V1 suspension and sport springs, or performance springs and shorter bump stops. Rims. your choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #24
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc905 View Post
Would a 2ndary cat delete create an emissions an issue? Do any of the intake or exhaust mods impact emissions testing?
intake will not do anything to emissions.

secondary cat delete will not throw any codes or show up on the car computer. It should still pass a sniffer test but it would fail you on a visual inspection.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #25
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Corvette Z51

That's good, I don't think my place does visual tests. So many people go through there in a day and they aren't paid enough to care.

I really would like to do a quad exhaust system and sweet bumper...but I'm 17 and am really stringent about spending my money. I'll settle for a 2nd cat delete, black 3" DiMisa tips, and possibly a high flow muffler(?)

I see an M3 rep bumper on MB for $500 with shipping. But it's only for 06-08 I couldn't find anything for 2009 on a quick search — is there one? Even if not, how much would it cost to get something like that painted in Space Grey Metallic, out of curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #26
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep

The Rogue Ikon Exhaust interests me. ($550)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #27
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Low Key OG
That's good, I don't think my place does visual tests. So many people go through there in a day and they aren't paid enough to care.

I really would like to do a quad exhaust system and sweet bumper...but I'm 17 and am really stringent about spending my money. I'll settle for a 2nd cat delete, black 3" DiMisa tips, and possibly a high flow muffler(?)

I see an M3 rep bumper on MB for $500 with shipping. But it's only for 06-08 I couldn't find anything for 2009 on a quick search — is there one? Even if not, how much would it cost to get something like that painted in Space Grey Metallic, out of curiosity.
Paint will kill you. Price ranges from $250(Sh*tty Job) to $500 to just paint one bumper.
Make sure they use OEM paint and not some crap color match mix.
      08-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnet2dboi View Post
Paint will kill you. Price ranges from $250(Sh*tty Job) to $500 to just paint one bumper.
Can dealers paint them? That would probably be the best place for it, but I'm not sure if they have the facilities.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #29
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Low Key OG
Quote:
Can dealers paint them? That would probably be the best place for it, but I'm not sure if they have the facilities.
Dealers usually send to local authorized bodyshop for the paint. Unless they own one themselves. But I wouldn't recommend because you will pay a premium for sure.
      08-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #30
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Low Key OG View Post
They outsource it, as mentioned.

Quote:
Dealers usually send to local authorized bodyshop for the paint. Unless they own one themselves. But I wouldn't recommend because you will pay a premium for sure.
Even using their shops, their shops usually aren't cheap either, just cheaper than the dealership tacking on a referral cost or something.

I had my front bumper replaced from an accident. I found the shop that the local BMW dealership sends people to, and that shop charged the insurance company about $500 for painting just the front bumper. The insurance company originally estimated like $175 for painting the (repaired) front bumper and hood.... With what? A sharpie or rattlecans? The actual cost was a lot more, but that's what insurance is for been paying it all these years, finally put it to good use.
      08-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #31
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I would just start with the cat delete and see what it sounds like. I have heard of the golf tee mod but I never did it. Those two in conjunction should change your note, hopefully to your liking.

Personally, I am weary of changing any muffler unless you have proven gains for your specific set up. Losing HP to make your ride look/sound good is a fail in my book. The OEM muffler and most OEM parts on this car are designed with a lot more consideration than we realize.

pre-lci rear bumpers i.e. 06-08 should fit your car just the same. You could get a one sided m3 rep bumper or go mtech oem. I paid $350 by a bmwna certified body shop to paint my rear bumper. They did it after hours and use OEM products. Try to ask around to see if someone knows someone who knows someone. Also, I only paid about $285 for my rear m3 bumper. Shipping was extra. Contact Suvneer.com and ask them to price match ddm tuning. You will get it a better price.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #32
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
I would just start with the cat delete and see what it sounds like. I have heard of the golf tee mod but I never did it. Those two in conjunction should change your note, hopefully to your liking.

Personally, I am weary of changing any muffler unless you have proven gains for your specific set up. Losing HP to make your ride look/sound good is a fail in my book. The OEM muffler and most OEM parts on this car are designed with a lot more consideration than we realize.

pre-lci rear bumpers i.e. 06-08 should fit your car just the same. You could get a one sided m3 rep bumper or go mtech oem. I paid $350 by a bmwna certified body shop to paint my rear bumper. They did it after hours and use OEM products. Try to ask around to see if someone knows someone who knows someone. Also, I only paid about $285 for my rear m3 bumper. Shipping was extra. Contact Suvneer.com and ask them to price match ddm tuning. You will get it a better price.
I agree on that part. There's not enough power there to trade it for sound. I definitely want a louder sound. I love the I6 sound, but I feel it's too quiet as is. I don't like the stock tips at all, I definitely want to change them out.

I couldn't find an M3 bumper on either of those sites - could you link me? I love the quad tips look and wouldn't be afraid to get a quote on something like that. I'm also pretty interested in the M3 front bumper. I read that the 06-08 bumper only needs a slight modification to fit the LCI models. I'll shoot a respected BMW bodyshop an email and see what they have to say and get a quote. I will probably just stick with the single side exhaust though.

So much for my budget...

Last edited by MattMD; 08-01-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
I agree on that part. There's not enough power there to trade it for sound. I definitely want a louder sound. I love the I6 sound, but I feel it's too quiet as is. I don't like the stock tips at all, I definitely want to change them out.

I couldn't find an M3 bumper on either of those sites - could you link me? I love the quad tips look and wouldn't be afraid to get a quote on something like that. I'm also pretty interested in the M3 front bumper. I read that the 06-08 bumper only needs a slight modification to fit the LCI models. I'll shoot a respected BMW bodyshop an email and see what they have to say and get a quote. I will probably just stick with the single side exhaust though.

So much for my budget...
Are you talking about the M3 rep rear or front?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #34
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Are you talking about the M3 rep rear or front?
I'm kind of thinking both. I'd probably do the front M3 rep first, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #35
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
I'm kind of thinking both. I'd probably do the front M3 rep first, though.
The rear will be a direct bolt up, even if it's made for pre-LCI. Just make sure the seller uses the regular bumper guides and not the M-Tech ones (which I am sure is the case). As far as the front M3 rep goes, I have seen a few floating around on here but most of them seem to be for pre-LCI. I would PM a vendor on here though, they can usually get the correct bumper for you. The only reason the pre-LCI bumper won't work on the LCI is the grill design, it's different due to the hood.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #36
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:

So much for my budget...
check out ddm tuning prices and then call them up and ask for the same. They are a supplier so they don't really advertise direct, but it is almost certain they will have the bumpers.

Also, pre lci front will not fit easily. It is vice versa. LCI bumper can be put on pre lci with more ease. There was a thread with an m3 rep for lci. Its a bit more expensive but fit was good.

about the quad rear on a stock bumper...I don't know, it may lose power too due to the change in piping. At this point and the money I have put into exhausts, I would say it is best not to mess with them unless you have cold hard dyno proof of it making power.

I have only seen independent proof of a secondary delete and primary delete making a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #37
tamster00
Uhh, Hi =)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 335i, 12' Fit Sport

Quote:
The Rogue Ikon Exhaust interests me. ($550)
I had it before on my 328i. Sound great, but not worth the $550 IMO. You're better off either doing a muffler delete, secondary cat delete along with removing the resonator to make it loud and roaring.

For cosmetic, carbon fiber/painted front lip splitters and trunk spoiler, tinted windows.

Performance, AA Stage 2 w/Simon Tool, K&N drop in with Charcoal delete (best bang for the buck, but other folks may say there's not much performance in that

Now - 11' E90 335i Performance Edition|Space Gray Metallic|Sport|Premium|Navigation|Steptronic|JB4|E R Charge Pipe|HP Autowerks Foam Filter
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #38
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamster00 View Post
I had it before on my 328i. Sound great, but not worth the $550 IMO. You're better off either doing a muffler delete, secondary cat delete along with removing the resonator to make it loud and roaring.

For cosmetic, carbon fiber/painted front lip splitters and trunk spoiler, tinted windows.

Performance, AA Stage 2 w/Simon Tool, K&N drop in with Charcoal delete (best bang for the buck, but other folks may say there's not much performance in that
Glad someone had experience with it. Thanks. Does the 2nd cat+resonator delete still comply with emissions? Someone said the 2nd cat delete removal complies, but nothing about the conjuction.

I'll look at those. Would be a lot cheaper (and easier) than replacing the bumpers. I plan on a 35% tint. I think 20% is a little too dark and it's illegal.

I'll take a look at how to do a charcoal delete. For the AA tune, I think $850 is more than I want to pay, probably will just do the PBX.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #39
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

resonator or muffler delete have nothing to do with emissions. They just regulate sound and in the case of the muffler, backpressure.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #40
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i SP

Not even joking my favorite buget mod has been cleaning my maf sensor. It made my car feel really nice even better then when I did the charcoal delete. I suggest that you unplug your battery for 30 mins, while cleaning your maf, do a charcoal delete, put in a oem filter, put everything back together. Let your car warm up and while you wait set your clock

Then drive it like you stole it

Enjoy your sexy car and be safe!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #41
drewski554
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

I realize this thread is a few months old, but if there are amateurs out there (like me), I bet they are still viewing this thread hoping for answers.

Here is a complete 328i modification list -- let me know what you think:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=668026
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #42
thejackyltm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski554 View Post
I realize this thread is a few months old, but if there are amateurs out there (like me), I bet they are still viewing this thread hoping for answers.

Here is a complete 328i modification list -- let me know what you think:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=668026

thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #43
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Hi, I own a 2009 328i sedan. I am not looking to spend a whole lot of money on some upgrades. (Not over $1000) I don't really care about dynos or track performance, I just want my car to look a little better and feel a little faster.

I am pretty set on H8 Angel Eyes and a BMS Powerbox. Any thoughts on those?

What else could I get within my budget? I will probably buy an air intake or filter, but I have no idea which and what to buy. Do you have any suggestions? What about anything with the exhaust?

Thanks, I appreciate all help. I'm finally around to tuning her.
The best mods for your budget of ~1K:

1. AA tune
2. Apex wheels 17" wheels

Apex wheels are very light ~17 lbs square set-up and you will instantly gain performance by reducing unsprung weight. The car will be faster and nimbler since the rotational mass is decreased and your performance and drivability will improve. This is the best mod you can do - period!

Then, consider AA tune. I have it and it is good mainly because it improves the throttle response and you feel a stronger pull above 3500 rpm.

As stated above, I would put in less restrictive KN filter - cheap. Charcoal delete has no effect, don't care what others state on this forum.

If you have $ I would get performance exhaust. You will love the sound.

Don't waste money on coilovers. You will not get the value you are looking for unless you get an awesome deal on a used set.

GL
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #44
Teeeg28
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 "328i" N51
Location: San Diego a.k.a. A Whales Vagina // Cal State San Marcos

AA tune was the best mod I have ever done to my car. I got it done for 430 and it IS faster and IS noticeable... by a long shot
Appreciate 0