E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > **First Time Tuners** Start Here** Official Misfire Thread| Updated!

03-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #243
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle6986 View Post
Well, all plugs, injectors and coils have been changed. The car just had all of the intake valves cleaned and It has a new high pressure fuel pump. The car still misfires constantly while accelerating. I think this will be his first and last BMW (1 month of ownership). Anybody interested in a 2008 335XI with manual trans? Only has 60k miles but runs like a tractor.
Beetle have a look at this thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...+solder&page=6

Most likely the ecu is your problem. May be covered under emissions warranty. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #244
CROWNE
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Recommendations?

Mod suggestions for stock 2007 335i..downpipes&exhaust..etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #245
headsup7up
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CSM 135i

I feel everyones pain. i started getting a misfire last year so i replaced the plugs and all seemed to be fine, at least for a few hundred miles. i then brought it to the dealer where they replaced all my injectors with the new updated ones and the problem wasn't fixed, so i figured i would replace the coils and the plugs again. After those the car ran fine for a few hundred miles again. when the misfire started again, i brought it to a friend who is a bmw tech, he noticed a mouse had chewed some of my coil pack and injector wires. i bought and replaced that, nothing changed after the wire harness so i gave up. after a few weeks of just ignoring the problem the misfire got worse and worse until the car would no longer fire on cyl1 at all. So i brought the car back to bmw where they found i had no compression on cyl 1. so now i have a new 0 mile long-block, new injectors, new coils, new plugs, new wire harness and now after 1000 miles... i have a misfire at idle again.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #246
bbstoke
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [10.00]
Misfire started last week with the engine management light on.
Took it in today and the codes thrown up are as follows..

29cc Misfire detection
29cf Misfire cylinder 3 in 2d firing sequence
29c0 or d Misfire cylinder in 1st firing

The mech changed the spark plugs, still doing it.

Cars still in, he's getting no volts from the knock sensor

Any clues anyone ?

Wondering of anyone has had these codes before?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #247
bbstoke
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [10.00]
Had it done today, it was coils , so had set of plugs and three coils on.. £170 ( $280) that's with the parts , labour and plug in -reset
Cars running great now... hope this helps someone else
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #248
mistertml
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i SE Edition

Garage List
Hi
Are people still having issues with their SI's.

I've just purchased one and it's showing misfires on cylinders 1-2. And this is after changing the sparks and coils on all 4 cylinders.
Had a compression test done and this is showing low compression on the the cylinders.

Is it already time to give the car back?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #249
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

is anybody running colder plugs than stock? I'd think that with the mods we throw at these things they're prefer a colder temp range than the stock stuff, but I suppose without a misfire/timing pull there's no real reason to change them... are people running stock on the fbo/meth/18psi cars too?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #250
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETBLK335i View Post
Hi all. hope this is the right thread, but can anyone tell me if this chart looks ok?

im running proceed REV 2.5 and DCI.

im going to replace the spark plugs as a starting point, but i am throwing the following codes

CD87, 29CD, 29CF, 29CC, CDA7
What was the resolution to CD87?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #251
xjohnnyleex
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I was having misfire in cylinder 5 under load.

After changing plugs and coils and verifying injectors were not the issue, a cleaning of the intake valves via walnut blasting looks to have fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #252
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Very informative thread. I'm trying to fix a misfire issue I have on cold starts where the car will not idle and will eventually go into limp mode, after a minute or so however the car will run fine unless I am driving it hard in which It will misfire when I go WOT. So far i've replaced the plugs, coils, injectors, HPFP sensor and walnut blasted. What should I look into next? Possible to clean this vanos thing I've heard about.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #253
gray335coupe
Rep
Drives: bmw 335 coupe

greattt

love this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
All First Time Tuners to this platform should read this sticky. This car has a history of misfires and they are all well documented and typically easy to fix. If you are new to tuning your vehicle and you have over 25,000 miles on your vehicle spark plugs the first thing you should do before installing your tune is get fresh spark plugs. This problem is so common for newly tuned vehicles that even Cobb has made a video.

Cobb's Video on Misfires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FsNK1ySAlSo

Here is a list of things you can try in no particular order and there may be more. I would suggest starting with the least expensive ideas first.

-Spark Plug Gap
- New Spark plugs
- Swapping Coilpacks
-New Coilpacks
-Injectors
-High Pressure/Low Pressure Fuel Pump
-Carbon Build up in intake valves
-Vanos Solenoid

Troubleshooting Misfires

Multiple cylinders:

Check Your Spark Plug Gap:
The cheapest quick fix is to ensure your spark plug gap is within spec. BMW 135i and BMW 335i Stock Spark Plug gap for 2007-2010 is .028".

Replace Spark Plugs:
If this fix does work then you still may want to consider changing your spark plugs to new, especially if they have over 25,000 miles on them.

If the misfire is on one or two cylinders:
Try swapping coil packs to see if the problem moves to another cylinder: i.e. if cylinder 1 is misfiring, swap coil 1 to 3 and see if the misfire now happens on cylinder 3. If it moves the coil pack needs replacement.

If the misfires does not move then you need to check your spark plug gap and or replace them before moving on to the next steps.

If changing spark plugs and moving/replacing coil packs does not work it could be the following:

Leaky Injector: Your spark plug(s) would show an indication of fouling and smell of fuel. This would be an indication your injectors may be leaking at the seals. A leaky injector in most cases also causes a rough start and or idle.

Weak/ Failing Low Pressure Fuel Pump: Not as common but a weak LPFP can cause misfires. You can measure this by trying to get logs from your tune of the LPFP voltage/pressure. You can also check your fuel trims to see if they are exceeding 31-34%. (However, your tune may just need adjustment). We advise to contact your tuner of choice in regads to fuel trims and if your low pressure pump may be on the fritz.

Weak/Failing High Pressure Fuel Pump: Not as common but a weak HPFP can also cause misfires.

Excessive Carbon on Intake Valves: This will happen to all N54 Engines. It is a result of not having fuel sprayed over the intake valves like traditional Port Fuel Injection. Since the N54 is direct injection over time the intake valves gunk up with carbon deposits. We've seen historically that after 35,000 miles all N54 vehicles could use a Intake Valve Cleaning. The benefits for most are smoother power delivery, increased power, smooth idle and in some cases a fix for misfires.

Vanos Solenoids: Usually attributed with Vanos codes, the Vanos Solenoids can cause misfires. A quick fix is to clean them. See DIY.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #254
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego
Very informative thread. I'm trying to fix a misfire issue I have on cold starts where the car will not idle and will eventually go into limp mode, after a minute or so however the car will run fine unless I am driving it hard in which It will misfire when I go WOT. So far i've replaced the plugs, coils, injectors, HPFP sensor and walnut blasted. What should I look into next? Possible to clean this vanos thing I've heard about.
Possible to clean but usually only a temporary fix. You start by swapping the 2 solenoids around and blowing compressed air on them to clean. I'd recommend just buying but vanos throw a specific code. Quite a few posts on it

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #255
awawd335
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Cylinder 2 misfire

I've been having cylinder 2 misfires only with WOT. It happens pretty much every time I do a prolonged pull. It is also associated with a 2AAF code (not sure the significance of this one). I have about 83000 miles (mostly highway) and have been tuned for most of it. Went FBO recently. Had intake valve cleaning a couple weeks ago (just before I had this problem start).

I tried swapping coil packs but the code stayed with cylinder 2. I next pulled the spark plug, but it seemed to be in good shape (only about 10,000 miles on the plug) so I swapped it with a different plug. The misfire code stayed with cylinder 2.

Any thoughts on where I should go next? Thanks.

Last edited by awawd335; 07-20-2014 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #256
Andrew5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Alpine White

Cars in the shop getting new spark plugs put in as we speak
H&R Sport Springs, Depot Headlights and Tail lights
LCI Front Bumper and Hood
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #257
Welterweight
Major
Rep
Drives: Truck in snow, coupe in summer

Garage List
just had this happen last night

Cylinder 1 misfire

Car is new to me with 65k miles.

I plan to replace plugs first and see if it helps.

Car is mostly stock with Cobb AP, K&N Drop in, 7" FMIC
      08-16-2014, 03:36 AM   #258
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4

Hey guys this problem is giving me the biggest headache and frustrations.

I'm running jb4 g5 FBO. I run either map 2 or map 5 if I run e85. I keep having misfire on cylinder 1.
I have:

-changed bank 1 injectors
-new coils and plugs
-carbon clean up (100 miles)

The misfire only happen in cylinder 1. Not all the time, but it will trigger whenever I thought I fixed the problem, so annoying!!!

Once it popped up 29dc - "cylinder shut off" code. This code has not come back since the last time. But I would get misfire on cylinder 1. I would say 1 out of 5 run the misfire will trigger.

Please help me guys I'm so clueless at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:40 AM   #259
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by awawd335
I've been having cylinder 2 misfires only with WOT. It happens pretty much every time I do a prolonged pull. It is also associated with a 2AAF code (not sure the significance of this one). I have about 83000 miles (mostly highway) and have been tuned for most of it. Went FBO recently. Had intake valve cleaning a couple weeks ago (just before I had this problem start).

I tried swapping coil packs but the code stayed with cylinder 2. I next pulled the spark plug, but it seemed to be in good shape (only about 10,000 miles on the plug) so I swapped it with a different plug. The misfire code stayed with cylinder 2.

Any thoughts on where I should go next? Thanks.
I would go for injector next. That seems to be the problem. That's the last step check. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #260
flako05z
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 2007

sticky notes

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #261
boostedbmr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

This past week I started having misfires on cold startups from what this thread is telling me is that it's a leaky injector, but the thing is I'm getting missfires in multiple cylinders mainly cyl 1 & 4 sometimes cyl 5. Is it likely that multiple injectors are leaking at the same time?? Or maybe these missfire are related to something else like the hpfp?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #262
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstphr335 View Post
This past week I started having misfires on cold startups from what this thread is telling me is that it's a leaky injector, but the thing is I'm getting missfires in multiple cylinders mainly cyl 1 & 4 sometimes cyl 5. Is it likely that multiple injectors are leaking at the same time?? Or maybe these missfire are related to something else like the hpfp?
It's likely your spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #263
boostedbmr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstphr335 View Post
It's likely your spark plugs.
I change them about 2k miles ago, this has been going on over a month only happens at idle occasionally and I as well get jitter from time to time.

I have not gotten a misfire on WOT yet and I have been pushing the car frequently
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #264
Welterweight
Major
Rep
Drives: Truck in snow, coupe in summer

Garage List
I recently got a Vanos Solenoid code thrown and plan to install two new ones as they are most likely original and I am at 67k. My question relates to the Cobb and the ability to view the required and actual values for both intake and exhaust on the Vanos. Should the values or actual match the required? My Exhaust is almost dead on. The intake is however quite far off. Thank you!