E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb Acess Port for just tune?

12-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #67
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
What is the opinion of the intake? In your opinion, do you think it was a good choice? (vs the 2 cone open system). I also unplugged that exaust port cable in the back of the car to make it sound better. Assuming that won't do anything to HP - I am not ready to get a new muffler yet... I don't see the gains that are worth the 1000 plus dollars to do that...

So what HP and TQ do you think I should expect with what I have on the stage 1 agressive? What do you need to go to stage 2? I think this 335 has the intercooler because of the sport package... just not sure how good the injectors and coils are since I purchased used.. plugs were changed at 46000 miles by BMW dealer with previous owner.
You'd be surprised with the intakes. Terry@BMS did a test of open vs. closed element filters and there was no significant difference in IATs. Chances are you'll trap a little more cold air with aFe since it's a closed filter & takes air directly from behind the kidneys.

For the exhaust, your real gains are gonna be from catless downpipes. DP back system are absurdly priced & will net you at most 10 HP (the OEM exhaust system is good until 500 WHP). Stage 1 Aggressive (no timing corrections & holding boost) will put you around 330 WHP / 340 WTQ (a 60 HP/70 TQ gain over stock); you'll be boosting ~4-6 psi over stock (from 8 to ~12 psi; OEM Turbos are fine up to 18 psi midrange). I would recommend that your next mod be a real FMIC upgrade (Helix, Active Autowerke, Evolution Racewerks, ETS; anything not OEM) and run the Stage 1+ Maps. The OEM intercooler (sport package or not) is the same & will heatsoak very quickly (thus, the DME starts pulling timing & reduces performance). To go Stage 2, all you need is Catless/Race Cat Downpipes. Shockingly enough, the Stage 1+ Maps are more powerful (which is why I recommend the FMIC upgrade 1st).

As of right now, the N54 does not have any aftermarket injector options (we're actually JUST about to a fuel pump upgrade). Spark plugs are good for 20-25k tuned & the Ignition Coils last ~45k. The OEM Bosch Plugs/Coils are fine until you start making BIG power (talking aftermarket turbos HP).

Sadly enough, while the N54 is VERY responsive to aftermarket mods, it gets very expensive very quickly. Welcome to COBB though
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #68
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Thanks for the feedback... yeah we are 93 oct here in GA... so no problem there.. Glad to hear the feedback on the walnut blasting... funny thing is a lot of bmw shops either have no clue what I'm asking, or just don't do it... so I guess its actually hard to shop around for pricing...

What is the opinion of the intake? In your opinion, do you think it was a good choice? (vs the 2 cone open system). I also unplugged that exaust port cable in the back of the car to make it sound better. Assuming that won't do anything to HP - I am not ready to get a new muffler yet... I don't see the gains that are worth the 1000 plus dollars to do that...

So what HP and TQ do you think I should expect with what I have on the stage 1 agressive? What do you need to go to stage 2? I think this 335 has the intercooler because of the sport package... just not sure how good the injectors and coils are since I purchased used.. plugs were changed at 46000 miles by BMW dealer with previous owner.
Keep in mind that not all 93 octane is created equal. Use top tier gasoline(Shell, Exxon etc..) and you should be good to run the aggressive maps but like i said be sure to datalog.

Most people see ~50rwhp/~60rwtq gains running stage 1 agg but all cars are a little different so you may get a little more or a little less.

The CAI vs DCI debate has been around for A LONG time and it's never been 100% conclusive either way. MY PERSONAL opinion is that the turbos need the coolest air they can get so a CAI is not a bad idea. However, the speed at which the air is drawn thorugh the engine bay/filter housing is so fast that i doubt it has enough time to transfer the heat to the incoming air. I run the BMS DCI because it's cheap and proven to work well thousands of times over.

All N54 engines are intercooled. The stock intercooler isn't very good though so that should probably be your next mod. Especially in the GA humidity.

The Cobb stages require the following mods:
Stage 1= stock car(intake recommended)
Stage 1+= Intake and upgraded Intercooler.
Stage 2= Intake and High Flow downpipes
Stage 2+=Intake, downpipes and upgraded intercooler(this is commonly referred to as FBO or Full Bolt-Ons)
Race gas/E30= FBO and race gas or E30 ethanol blend.

Coils and injectors are a crapshoot. Sometimes they last for A LONG time and sometimes they don't. Coils are cheap enough that if you have one go out you might as well replace them all. Injectors are pricey so i would just change them when/if they go out.
      12-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #69
john36
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 6mt

I know this is a random question but can I use the Acessport from my 535xi on the 335i? I would rather have the 335 tuned and can uninstall the tune on the 535xi. Should I update the maps to the 335i or will it just work?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #70
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john36 View Post
I know this is a random question but can I use the Acessport from my 535xi on the 335i? I would rather have the 335 tuned and can uninstall the tune on the 535xi. Should I update the maps to the 335i or will it just work?
Here's the screenshot off the COBB website of all the BMW vehicles (and years) that their tune applies to. Not sure how many maps the 535 gets, but once you find out what ROM is installed on your car, just check on the OTS Site

Last edited by benzy89; 12-05-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #71
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
The sophistication of the DME is so far advanced in comparison to the older JDM ECU's it's ridiculous. The DME allows the Piggy and Flash tunes to be alot easier than most other platforms. First off it tunes for AFR's not injector pulse widths using factory wideband O2's. The injectors for most peoples needs are big enough and never need upgraded. The knock sensing and other environmental (temps, IAT's etc) keep tunes from hurting anything. You would almost have to try to screw it up on purpose to blow anything up on this engine other than the turbo's and have seen very few engine failures on these sites aside from a few freak incidents and I don't think any of them were due to power levels or tuning problems. As for your experience with Greddy that's never a pleasant experience their products used to be good but their ease of use, instructions and customer service were always the worst. Which ever route you go either Piggy or Flash I don't think you'll regret it either way. I don't have any experience on the piggy's but I've heard that the JB4 can be a little easier to manage and it's a fact that BMS has the best customer service but you will find those few occasions of people having a bad experience with one of the tunes, then switching and saying how horrible the first one was and how great the second one is.

That's good to know! Thank you!
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #72
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I can say my Cobb works great on Dayton gas! My intensions wher the same as yours, just get some more boost and leave the car stock. Now that some time has passed, I want more power.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #73
john36
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Here's the screenshot off the COBB website of all the BMW vehicles (and years) that their tune applies to. Not sure how many maps the 535 gets, but once you find out what ROM is installed on your car, just check on the OTS Site
Thank you.

I picked up the 335i yesterday and flashed the cobb stage 1 aggressive map today. First impression is I've updated the AP to the new version which I think came out yesterday so everyone should update through the AP Manager. I kind of knew what to expect with the tune since it came off my e61 535xi but it surprised me in the smaller rwd car. I would like to change the intake as well and debating on doing just a K&N drop-in or the DCI. Any thoughts if the DCI yields much better results?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #74
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john36 View Post
I would like to change the intake as well and debating on doing just a K&N drop-in or the DCI. Any thoughts if the DCI yields much better results?
If you're gonna mod beyond the tune (FMIC and/or DPs), the DCI would be a better purchase. If the car is going to stay Tune Only; then a drop-in filter with the OEM box is good.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #75
ritjeff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335xi

Dang it. After reading all this, I really need to get around to ordering something.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #76
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjeff View Post
Dang it. After reading all this, I really need to get around to ordering something.
Go COBB & hit up Jake@PTF. Here's why: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778331
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #77
ritjeff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjeff View Post
Go COBB & hit up Jake@PTF. Here's why: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778331
You told me this awhile back, but a crazy schedule and lots of travel got in the way.

Sooooo, in response I did and I will! :0)
Appreciate 0