E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Can someone please help...

02-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 58' Reg 320i MSport Le Mans Bl

Can someone please help...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys ( I hope im posting in the right section),

I am living in the UK for the last 5 years and im just graduated from college and im working in the UK until next christmas when i will then return to ireland. I bought a car (BMW 320i) at the end of july as i needed it for work and also i will be able to bring it back to Ireland with me at christmas and i will be exempt form paying the VRT however my dad also now wants to buy a car in the UK in my name and then he wants me to bring it back with me when im coming home so he will also save himself the VRT charges..Im wondering is this possible and can it be done i.e. can i buy two cars back there and bring them back with me next xmas and not pay the VRT? and if so how do i go about doing it in order to insure everything is ok when im bringing it across on the ferry? Ive herd of people doing this and hence why im asking.

Please help...

I know this is a big topic but i would be extremely greatful if anybody could help me as i do not know where to start...

Thanks a million,

Cormac
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac07 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys ( I hope im posting in the right section),

I am living in the UK for the last 5 years and im just graduated from college and im working in the UK until next christmas when i will then return to ireland. I bought a car (BMW 320i) at the end of july as i needed it for work and also i will be able to bring it back to Ireland with me at christmas and i will be exempt form paying the VRT however my dad also now wants to buy a car in the UK in my name and then he wants me to bring it back with me when im coming home so he will also save himself the VRT charges..Im wondering is this possible and can it be done i.e. can i buy two cars back there and bring them back with me next xmas and not pay the VRT? and if so how do i go about doing it in order to insure everything is ok when im bringing it across on the ferry? Ive herd of people doing this and hence why im asking.

Please help...

I know this is a big topic but i would be extremely greatful if anybody could help me as i do not know where to start...

Thanks a million,

Cormac
Hi Cormac, fellow Irishman here. As the VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) is very much a Rep of Ireland thing not too many on here will have much experience of. I did the same as you many years ago (albeit with a 5 year old Astra!!) and got a years no claims bonus in my own name too before starting work in Dublin.

My dad also thought about me bringing a car back for him but to avoid the VRT you would need to own the car for 12 months before you import to to ROI...so you would need to insure both cars in your name here for a year etc... When we looked at it it didn't make any sense fnancially (depreciation + insurance + other running costs for a year outweighed the VRT saving).

Not sure if that is still the same but I expect it will be.

John
      02-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 58' Reg 320i MSport Le Mans Bl

thanks a million john for that info, that is a good way of looking at it, ill have to think twice about it!

thanks again
Appreciate 0