E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Traffic citation! Advice needed ...Atl

03-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 S2K, e92, 5.0

Traffic citation! Advice needed ...Atl

Got snagged going 25mph over, 70 in 45 in local so no GA "super speeding." Was on Pleasant hill for those who know where it is. I wasn't even driving my car, was in a much smaller econo-rental box. Cop specifically said I have no record of speeding in the past 5 years when he handed the ticket. The citation is a little shy of $500. Court date is in a couple of weeks. Questions:

Should I
1. Hire a lawyer, pay the attorney fee and hope they can take care of it, some claim they can make it as "nothing happened." My concern on this is if that I still end up having to pay a fine, the total expense will most likely exceed other options (below).
2. Plead "nolo." I'm not sure what's the consequence on this, some say it won't report to insurance, some say it will. Theoretically, I can pay the full fine and be done with it, but as far as I understand, paying the fine is a gesture of admitting guilt, hence insurance will still increase. Thoughts?
3. Plead non-guilty. I'm not sure how I would go about this, since I got snagged by laser and the ticket has equipment calibration of 1600, I assume that was 4pm and the ticket was at approx 9pm. It was 'medium traffic' so technically I could argue it was not my car that got caught and could be another car next to me.. chances are if at the court date, cop shows up and proves it was me, then I'm down with the fine AND additional court fee. If the cop does not show up, as far as I understand, case gets thrown out.

Need advice if you have anything helpful to chime in.

Before blowing your flames on I could be endangering others...not here looking for schooling on how I should not speed...I'm sure everyone here is guilty one way or another on speeding (if this was a Prius forum, it'd be different story). Just bad luck if you ask me
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Sell you car and ride the bus. J/K

Seriously though. If you're old enough to "not need a schooling on speeding" you're old enough to make these decisions on your own.

How painful life would be if i had to run every decision i made through the forum first...... Maybe you've heard of these sayings.... "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." "You've made your bed, now lie in it" "If you play with fire, you get burnt." "Make your own fucking decisions!!!"

Edit: i apologize in advance for my lack of tolerance with regards to people not being able to make decisions on their own. I hope which ever route you decide to go works out best for you. But really, grow a pair and make a decision. Dman it!! I'm sorry again. All the best, really.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 03-12-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post

Seriously though. If you're old enough to "not need a schooling on speeding" you're old enough to make these decisions on your own.

How painful life would be if i had to run every decision i made through the forum first...... Maybe you've heard of these sayings.... "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." "You've made your bed, now lie in it" "if you play with fire, you get burnt" "make your own fucking decisions"
lol
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

-Pay off ticket
-Avoid points to prevent getting raked on insurance (use. lawyer, traffic school.. etc. etc).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Sleep with the cops wife
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Sounds like someone had a long day. First time with a citation, looking for opinions. Isn't that forums are for. No need to apologize, your "lack of tolerance" is not really an "offense" to me anyway. I guess if your reply to all the discussions on any board is "grow a pair and make your own decisions" then so be it. Insightful input.

Quote:

How painful life would be if i had to run every decision i made through the forum first...... Maybe you've heard of these sayings.... "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." "You've made your bed, now lie in it" "If you play with fire, you get burnt." "Make your own fucking decisions!!!"

Edit: i apologize in advance for my lack of tolerance with regards to people not being able to make decisions on their own. I hope which ever route you decide to go works out best for you. But really, grow a pair and make a decision. Dman it!! I'm sorry again. All the best, really.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
notasensei
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Sleep with the cops wife
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasensei View Post
Sounds like someone had a long day. First time with a citation, looking for opinions. Isn't that forums are for. No need to apologize, your "lack of tolerance" is not really an "offense" to me anyway. I guess if your reply to all the discussions on any board is "grow a pair and make your own decisions" then so be it. Insightful input.
Sorry, i should have said. "Sleep with the cops wife". Cause as long as you perceive "insightful input" as comical it's all lols.
      03-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Sell your car and ride the bus.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Get a traffic lawyer that knock the ticket down to non moving violation. Your city needs money. Cop and judge are there to make city money, so don't bank on them giving you a break. If you let them know they will get their cut, they won't care if the ticket got knock down to "sleep with cop's wife". The typical fee including the ticket"should" be a bit over the ticket fine, lawyer need their cut as well. Everyone needs at least 3 friends, a Doc, a lawyer, and a handyman. For BMW owner, throw in a car mechanic as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
MonteB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Black on Black

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
post this in the Southeast section. lots of info on this for ATL
      03-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

LOL some people are idiots everyone speeds, hire a traffic lawyer and he'll take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan23 View Post
LOL some people are idiots everyone speeds, hire a traffic lawyer and he'll take care of it.
Big difference between going 5-10 over on an open highway and going 25 over on a local road.