E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DSC just kicked in, Yo...

05-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TloqKRuZF0
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Just turn it off all the way next time... be careful.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Other way round.

A short press activates DTC (DSC restricted) - the car will now allow a small amount of slip & slide before it takes action to correct.

A press and hold (can't remember if it's 3 or 10 seconds) deactivates DSC completely - you're own your own now. The car will not intervene regardless of how severe the slide is.
im a bit confused lol Is the TC turned off as default, then pressing DTC activates it and then holding the DTC disables even more driver aids?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #26
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

No.

Every time you start the car everything is fully on, DSC is activated. The car is in it's safest mode.

A short press will activate DTC. IIRC this is "Dynamic Traction Control". DSC is now restricted. In this mode you can have a little fun without (hopefully) wrapping your car around a lamppost. With DTC activate the car will permit a little slip without letting you get too badly out of shape, if things start to get too wild the system will intervene to save your butt.

A long press (3 seconds) will deactivate DSC completely. In this mode you are completely on your Jack Jones. Get it wrong and the car will do nothing to save you. This is unlike other vehicles where, even when deactivated, the system may still intervene in extreme circumstances (Mercs come to mind IIRC).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #27
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP / R56 JCW

I remember a few months back it was late, and raining and I was at a traffic light waiting to go right...on the M3s the DSC button is on the side of the centre console, and if you rest your knees on the side, you can end up fully turning it off without noticing.....which happened to me. Lights turned green and the car behind me flashed me to go (it was late and my mind was not on point I must admit) so I pressed the gas a bit too hard at that moment without knowing all traction control is fully off and suddenly the car just went wild! took my by total surprise as I didnt know it was off. Slid left to right, just going insane!! luckily I gained control quick and stirred the opposite direction and gained control of the car. Really took me by surprise, now i try to make sure I dont rest my knees on that part lol.

DSC off can be good fun, its not always as bad as people make it out - you need to me more focused though, make sure you dont forget its fully off! In my 335i it used to be all over the place with it off, good fun though. The M3 is more controllable I would say. Never try it out in the wet! Dont really try it even if it rained the day before as even with just M-mode on I was going sideways for quite a bit when it was damp...felt good though
      05-16-2011, 02:58 AM   #28
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Hmmm... Maybe I should experiment in the dry then...
      05-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I love all this DSC talk. Some of us remember the BMWs of old, that really had a bite back, (E30 anyone?)

We were so pleased when DSC came along, as now cars were so much more controlled and predictable.

Many an experienced BMW driver ended up the wrong way around, (or worse) entering a dual carriageway, coming off a roundabout with too much enthusiasm.

Drive safe guys, remember the laws of physics come into play.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #30
Muz
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320D MSport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Driving home late the other night, I thought I'd take advantage of the empty and wet roads to *ahem* explore the limits of the car's handling... I pressed the DTC button, thinking that since it was the first time I'd tried this going the whole hog and disabling DSC completely was probably a silly idea...

Well, I found a nice big roundabout, with perfect entry and exit opportunities, nice smooth tarmac, nice wide lanes just in case... Auto box into manual, and accelerated onto the roundabout. Steered to the right and squeezed the throttle just a little harder than necessary, and the back end started to break away beautifully

For about a second I was loving it - completely under control, exactly where I had planned to be, and just starting to give it a bit of opposite lock, when (I presume) the DSC decided that I had had enough fun, and

BLAM!, it was as if I'd hit a lamppost side on, the reaction was so violent

I had to hang on to the wheel as the back of the car whipped around behind me to my right, then back to the left, and again, and again, until I was back on course. I was shaking as I turned all the driver aids back on and drove home very steadily...

I think I perhaps need to find somewhere to explore it a bit more - was I expecting too much without disabling the DSC completely?
Get in the car, seatbelt on, ignition on, Traction fully off, mirror, signal, manoeuvre

That's my routine!

Just get used to the annoying little warning on your dash!
      05-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #31
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
No.

Every time you start the car everything is fully on, DSC is activated. The car is in it's safest mode.

A short press will activate DTC. IIRC this is "Dynamic Traction Control". DSC is now restricted.

A long press (3 seconds) will deactivate DSC completely. In this mode you are completely on your Jack Jones. Get it wrong and the car will do nothing to save you. This is unlike other vehicles where, even when deactivated, the system may still intervene in extreme circumstances (Mercs come to mind IIRC).

I believe the correct term to use is ...*deactivate* DTC ...

as when starting the car, EVERY AID IS FULLY ACTIVATED/ ON, so 1 quick press will DEACTIVATE DTC, AND ONE LONG PRESS WILL DEACTIVATE DSC....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:51 AM   #32
Muz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I believe the correct term to use is ...*deactivate* DTC ...

as when starting the car, EVERY AID IS FULLY ACTIVATED/ ON, so 1 quick press will DEACTIVATE DTC, AND ONE LONG PRESS WILL DEACTIVATE DSC....
nope, it's activate, DTC isn't on by default, your poverty killjoy traction is.

whap DTC on for a bit more fun, or everything off for a trip into a hedgerow!

edit

maybe I'm wrong, so DSC is on first?!?!?!

edit again, actually I think it is activate lol

I just turn it all off anyway, manfoot!

Last edited by Muz; 05-16-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #33
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz View Post

edit

You are correct, DTC in not on by default. We activate DTC by the quick press of the button. Press quickly again to deactivate it, and back to full DSC control and intervention.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #34
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz View Post

edit

DTC DYNAMIC TRACTION CONTROL.....traction control!!!....it kills all joy and prevents you from sliding....

altho DTC is illuminated on the dash..... doesn't mean that its "activated"....it means that it will now let you slide "a bit"... as TRACTION CONTROL is now DEACTIVATED.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #35
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Hmmm - never had that violent a reaction before with traction "half" or "fully" off.

My pulse does rise a bit when I fully disable it - never ever with kids or wife in the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #36
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You are correct, DTC in not on by default. We activate DTC by the quick press of the button. Press quickly again to deactivate it, and back to full DSC control and intervention.

HighlandPete
you mean DEACTIVATE.....

the right word to use is deactivate!...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:15 AM   #37
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
you mean DEACTIVATE.....

How can you deactivate a funtion you are switching on, within the DSC function?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #38
Muz
Private
Rep

Quote:
you mean DEACTIVATE.....

DTC is a "form" of traction control, it does let you slide a little

and pressing the DTC button activates it, if it deactivated it wouldn't we get a warning symbol instead of just DTC?

05-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #39
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote BMW

Quote:
DTC Dynamic Traction Control
DTC is a version of DSC in which the drive output is optimized for particular road conditions, e.g. unplowed snow-covered roads. The system assures the maximal drive output, but with reduced driving stability. It is therefore necessary to drive with appropriate caution.

You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC under the following special circumstances:
HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #40
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I still think that it would be clearer it BMW used the word deactivate....because default mode....all aid is activated....

1 short press will deactivate DTC....which will let you slide a little bit...

1 long press will deactivate DSC...which will let you slide for longer and longer!...

much more simple to undertsand!

but I guess i'll have to stick to the handbook!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #41
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
How can you deactivate a funtion you are switching on, within the DSC function?

HighlandPete
ok, i'll use activate from now on ...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #42
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1986 mr2 mk1

too harsh on the throttle while turning either on or off will cause a tank slapper (with a little damp road as well of course ,unless your really crazy and do this in the dry) ,trying to brake ,trying to straighten the car up too soon ,if they breakaway easy ,they should be coxed back gentley ,thats why i dont like dsc its too harsh ,don't try this at home though ,goto a track day or something ,the public road is not the place to try this the first,second or anytime really ,I was a boy racer with a 325i e30 as a teenager with lots of country roads to drive on ,best experience ever for car control ,wouldnt do it as a 40yr old
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #43
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I still think that it would be clearer it BMW used the word deactivate....because default mode....all aid is activated....

1 short press will deactivate DTC....which will let you slide a little bit...

1 long press will deactivate DSC...which will let you slide for longer and longer!...

much more simple to undertsand!

but I guess i'll have to stick to the handbook!
I still think you are reading DTC as a partly disabled function of DSC, in fact it is not described that way by BMW.

Problem is, BMW play fast and loose with how they use DTC (and Sport+ function in some models). They emphasis the safety issue in some descriptions, and its function, but a sportier drive in other descriptions.

But whatever way we read the detail, pressing the button activates a function, it switches DTC on, it doesn't switch DTC off. Traction control becomes dynamic.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #44
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikoV View Post
It's scary I know...Reminds me of the time when I just bought my M3 in 2005. After driving like Miss Daisy for a couple of thousand miles to get accustomed to it, I thought I'd fully disable traction control. BIG BIG mistake.
come on the, don't leave us hanging!!
Appreciate 0