E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > £430k compo for police officer

02-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

£430k compo for police officer

Has anyone seen the clip on the net off the Welsh PC who batters some 74 yr old guys Range Rover winder screen and side window , Supposedly went viral and is so embarrassed he has been paid off with 430k and 10k for damage to the RR Driver , he was speeding and find £200.

There has to be more to this story
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
There has to be more to this story
There is.

Gwent Police (employer) behaved despicably and in a way you wouldn't when dealing with a Criminal. This payout is about what the Officer would have earnt had he been allowed complete his remaining years of Service.

This is about how his employer's unreasonable behaviour towards him. And like any employee whose rights were violated he sought redress. Gwent Police were found wanting. An employer cannot treat their employee unfairly.

But this won't be reported.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry , I meant was the guy in the RR a hardened criminal mafia boss ,Known to be a member of a gang, The office on the bonnet kicking the screen in etc.

Totally disproportionate to the offence , BBC reports he was stopped for not wearing a seatbelt drive off because he thought it had been dealt with thats how you stop a 70yr old boy to issue a fixed penalty ticket.So for failing to take his ticket they do £10k damage to the car and another £430k comp to the officer

Now been viewed by 30m on the net, The officers look to me like a liability to any employer like a pair off thugs mugging a old boy.

The £430k would appear cheap now to get the liability gone, A bit like the social services boss Shoesmith in the baby P incident the other year sacked for running a poor social services team in london then sues a wins 1m+ in lost wages only happens to government workers , In the real world do a crap job you are let go.

I fully understand he may have well been made to look bad , Similar to the met officers tucking up the MP in pleb gate bunch off lying Aholes. Hillsborough enquiry falsifying statements etc. Bad apples need putting out with the trash

Last edited by scooba0010; 02-06-2014 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: Watched it again ! mental !
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:06 AM   #4
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpj View Post
This is about how his employer's unreasonable behaviour towards him. And like any employee whose rights were violated he sought redress. Gwent Police were found wanting. An employer cannot treat their employee unfairly.

That's been very clearly reported in all the reports I've read this morning.

Regardless, cases like this do not reflect well on the police as a whole.
      02-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #5
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

When a vehicle makes off, as this one did; and the decision is made to pursue and stop, you don't then politely ask the driver to exit the vehicle at his convenience when it is stopped. You don't know why it fled and don't know the risks the driver and occupants might pose. So you use move in hard and fast to secure the vehicle and the occupants.

To comment that one believes force used was disproportionate or the officers behaviour inappropriate is unhelpful at best. It is an uninformed opinion because you don't know the guidance on stopping vehicles and the process that dictates actions. This matter after all was looked into by the relevant authorities and Officers cleared of individual wrong doing.

I've been in similar situations both as the Officer stopping and assisting. On each occasion, I have put the window in to secure the vehicle because whether you are 17 or 70, behind the wheel of a car, you pose the same danger to the Public, my colleagues and I.

This man was convicted of driving offences and they were upheld.

I agree however this does not reflect well on the Police but much of what we do doesn't because we are in the business of dealing with dangerous and difficult situations that many armchair experts would never face but feel able to provide their expert opinion and insight into a situation they do not understand.

None of this is directed at any one in particular or meant to cause offence. However I have my flame suit to hand and ready to go

Last edited by ihpj; 02-06-2014 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #6
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Quote:
When a vehicle makes off, as this one did; and the decision is made to pursue and stop, you don't then politely ask the driver to exit the vehicle at his convenience when it is stopped. You don't know why it fled and don't know the risks the driver and occupants might pose. So you use move in hard and fast to secure the vehicle and the occupants.

To comment that one believes force used was disproportionate or the officers behaviour inappropriate is unhelpful at best. It is an uninformed opinion because you don't know the guidance on stopping vehicles and the process that dictates actions. This matter after all was looked into by the relevant authorities and Officers cleared of individual wrong doing.

I've been in similar situations both as the Officer stopping and assisting. On each occasion, I have put the window in to secure the vehicle because whether you are 17 or 70, behind the wheel of a car, you pose the same danger to the Public, my colleagues and I.

I agree however this does not reflect well on the Police but much of what we do doesn't because we are in the business of dealing with dangerous and difficult situations that many armchair experts would never face but feel able to provide their expert opinion and insight into a situation they do not understand.

None of this is directed at any one in particular or meant to cause offence. However I have my flame suit to hand and ready to go
F*cked if you do, f*cked if you don't
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
If the driver is such a risk. Why does one of the coppers stand on the bonnet?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...al-online.html
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:04 AM   #8
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

It's pathetic. I'll bear ihpj's comment that it won't be fully reported in mind, but it seems that his colleagues took the piss relentlessly and the employer did little or nothing to prevent this.

Bless his little heart.

He was big and hard whilst giving it the big 'un in the video but now he gets nearly half-a-million (despite having now secured alternative income) because his sensibilities were upset.

The only good thing to come out of this is that he is no longer a serving police officer.

I doubt if even ihpj would agree that's reasonable, never mind the under-served general public.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:29 AM   #9
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Vid linky?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #10
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I wonder how much he would've been awarded if he'd been a mechanic or worked a small company office? £430 compensation is outrageous, he can either do his job competently in which case he needs to grow a thicker skin or he should be dismissed for incompetence. The fact that his colleagues were taking the P suggests that they also thought he was a bit gung-ho in his actions. Unfortunately, most of us have bumped into officers like this, at some time or other, and they bring dedicated and competent officers into disrepute.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #11
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Bit of a sideways step here but having been involved in both competing and training combat sports for roughly 15 years I always find it interesting to watch some of these videos and Police Camera Action type shows. It never fails to amaze me that given the training a lot of these guys have an the situations that they find themselves in that they often completely fail to manage the adrenalin dump.

I remember seeing this video and it certainly looked like such a case to me. If this is what the Police guidance is on the process for stopping a vehicle then I think it might be time to address the training manual.

I don't really care about how his employer acted within reason. I would say that disciplining colleagues for ribbing the guy would be ridiculous. We normally become mates with the people we work with, I would expect this more so in something like the Police force. If I acted like a tool in front of my mates they would get some mileage out of it.
      02-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #12
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
Vid linky?
Linky

As posted by creepy coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #13
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Wow @ that video. The police just look like a bunch of thugs. I cannot see what any of them were trying to achieve. Where in police guidance does it say "once the vehicle has stopped have one officer jump on the bonnet and another smash the shit ouf of it"?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #14
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

The officer seemed calm when talking on his radio.

He then took an age to break the window, when in that time he must have realised it was already a nothing incident, but preceded to keep smashing away.

One done instantly walks back to the car having now decided turning the siren off was more important.

The Police shouldn't be compensating him for being mocked. Worse case scenario they should be taking action against those mocking him if they overstepped the mark. Not giving a ridiculous pay off that wouldn't happen elsewhere.

The fact workmates mocked him, they obviously feel he has called this one wrong too.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #15
E91-Gaz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 318d

Quote:
There is.

Gwent Police (employer) behaved despicably and in a way you wouldn't when dealing with a Criminal. This payout is about what the Officer would have earnt had he been allowed complete his remaining years of Service.

There is more to the story yes....wasnt it the case that the guy had already been pulled over for not wearing his seatbelt and then believing that he had already been dealt with went on his way but then completely failed to notice the pursuing officers?

I have little sympathy for the driver as he should have seen the officers following, however these officers knew he was a 70 year old pensioner as they had already pulled him over, both of the officers actions should have been subject to an external inquiry not internal, by finding them not guilty his superiors paved the way for this payout.

And no I'm not anti police but very against unfair payouts for peoples who's performance falls below standard. The money could have been used to give bonuses to police officers who undertake their duites very well. Once again this country rewards failure.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #16
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

Humans are programmed to react to violence by releasing fight or flight hormones, so police instigated violence hardly seems like the best way to ensure anyone's safety. Its a wonder the guy didn't drive off again, which would have almost certainly injured the officer who was trying to kick in the windscreen.

At best this shows 2 officers acting very injudiciously, certainly risking their own safety and potentially escalating the situation massively. If nothing else, an unmitigated PR disaster for our long suffering police.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #17
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
..... Where in police guidance does it say "once the vehicle has stopped have one officer jump on the bonnet and another smash the shit ouf of it"?
That's simple:

Quote:
It is a well know fact that the safest way to disable a fleeing car is stand on the bonnet thereby preventing injury to pursuing police officers - simples!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #18
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
The Land Rover drove off and he didn't stop as soon as the police started following him.

I guess the police's reaction to this, was if you gona play rough old man, we can do it too!...

There was another video on PH where a car was driving well above the speed limit and dangerously, being chased by the police. I think that, in this one....the guy should have got a good beating.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #19
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
That's simple:

It is a well know fact that the safest way to disable a fleeing car is stand on the bonnet thereby preventing injury to pursuing police officers - simples!!
That's the joke about this. How would this case look if the driver had feared for his life due to the disproportionate force used and drove that officer down the road at 40 mph on his bonnet?

There are loads of police chase videos, ones where they are actually chasing a vehicle that won't stop. Even when they immobilise the suspects car they don't do stupid shit like this. I'd have mocked this guy too, he acted stupidly.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #20
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

What happened to the officer that stood on the bonnet trying to kick the window in? I feel the way he dealt with the situation was far less professional than the other officer.
      02-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #21
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I am sorry mr ihpj

The report states a man was stopped for not wearing a seatbelt !, They new he was old as they spoke with him , The defence in court stated he thought the chat had dealt with it and went on his way .

Now we know defence QC can say what ever they like so we will allow that to be questioned . No one knows why he drove off but like the 30m views on net it does reflect on a officer being a little out of control.

Totally over the top , They behaved like thugs !

If some one in a uniform had treated my Granddad like that I would ensure he was dealt with one way or the other ,

The old boy should have been given the benefit of doubt 73 yrs old

BUT look at the MP in the pleb gate situation in downing st , Clearly the Met Office lied through his teeth , Then the others closed ranks and tried to help him out even the investigation was found to support there buddies but now the guy has decided to resign and confess What does that say about the other officers and the investigation ?????

I was bought up to believe that Police officers were honest etc and after the recent revelations off doctoring off hillsborough victims statements and the disaster making out the fans were totally to blame I sort have lost faith a little, They are well paid but as the lads at work pointed out they believe they are above the law .
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #22
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

He was convicted off Not wearing a Seatbelt ! And driving off before getting his fixed penalty notice.

If this was say your Father or Grandfather would you be defending your officers and saying good job boys ! or have you gone mad !.

I am sorry you just don't get it . It looks really awful and thats why it has been viewed 30 million times and the thousands of thumbs ups on posts on the mail write up on the case stating the officers were morons etc
Appreciate 0