E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2010 with HiFi Stereo -Do I Need a DSP Converter?

10-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #23
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernors View Post
Ahhhhhhh, ok then I was getting confused if this is the case. I thought the amp had built in DSP and that I'd need to swap in either a converter or a DSP/Amp combo.....

So, if this is true, then the iDrive talks to a DSP Unit, which then connects to a traditional analog amp, which sends the signals to the speakers...

My options open up a lot because then I'm back to the choice of using a wiring harness and then just swapping out amp and speakers.

To Ctuna's point, using a DSP/Amp combo will enable me to custom tune the cabin by setting time delays, etc....which the HiFi system doesn't offer. (I assume....?)

Do I have that right?
Mostly accurate. You're HiFi so it's headunit to OE amp via copper. There's no DSP or anything else in between, it's just plain, simple analog signal.

To put it more simply, it's no different really than if you had an aftermarket headunit other than raw copper leads vs having RCA ends.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #24
vernors
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Setting up a DSP is a long process sometimes you can find
some canned DSP files that can get you in the Ballpark other wise there is this 14 part series on y tube.

look the rest of them up.
Yeah, I don't doubt it could be a PITA for someone who's never done it. But, I've got a buddy who is an electrical sound engineer, my guess is he can set something up pretty easily. Already got a call out to him. I appreciate the advice from all of you, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #25
vernors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
Mostly accurate. You're HiFi so it's headunit to OE amp via copper. There's no DSP or anything else in between, it's just plain, simple analog signal.

To put it more simply, it's no different really than if you had an aftermarket headunit other than raw copper leads vs having RCA ends.
Great, it's nice to know exactly what I'm facing. Will give it some thought and keep an eye out for gear.....not getting the car until January/February so have time to watch out for Black Friday, Christmas and then early '18 when a lot of people will be upgrading/selling stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #26
vernors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yep, agreed but am clear now. Thanks for all the info Ctuna, I know which way I'm going to go...which is still with a DSP, either a combo unit or a standalone processes and separate amp.

Not sure which ones yet, the Helix options are really nice but twice the price I want to spend. So, probably not an option.

AudioControl makes a DSP/Amp combo unit and also separates, I don't know anything about the company but will read up. Have you heard of them?

AudioControl D-6.1200 is the 6 channel, 125 watt RMS each....with DSP.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #27
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Be careful a lot of the company's advertising DSP don't actually have
DSP they have and electronic crossover that they call DSP.
When you start hearing things like accubass it's a sign of overmarketing to the uninformed.
DSP Control does not equal DSP.
Always download the manual to check for these things.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-20-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #28
vernors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Interesting, I didn't know that. I'll definitely download the manual. Apparently the Audiocontrol product just came out this year and would therefore assume it's brand new technology.

Manual: http://www.audiocontrol.com/download...tart-guide.pdf

Excerpt from Crutchfield:

Computer-controlled digital signal processing
You won't find any knobs on the D-6.1200 — you make adjustments and save settings via your PC, Android, or iOS device. AudioControl's Smart-User DSP software package includes 12 or 24 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley crossovers, 30-band equalizers, parametric filters, time delay/alignment for inputs and outputs, phase correction, AccuBass™ bass correction, and real-time analyzers (RTA) for the inputs and outputs so you can visually confirm the improvements in the sound.

Says digital signal processing, and do see information on time delay, etc....so sounds like it has DSP built in....looks pretty advanced, but haven't read up on it yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #29
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There isn't anything about the software or adjustment for time
delay in that spec sheet or diagram.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #30
Go Horns!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

The Audio Control LC-6.1200 does not inlcude a DSP.

The Audio Control D-6.1200 does include a DSP.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_161D61....html?tp=61658
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #31
vernors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok, so I just picked up a set of 8" midbass drivers out of a component set called X-ION 200 from "Audio Systems", which appears to be related to Mosconi and Gladen.

I've found the system listed, but I don't see any specs. Anyone got a manual or have an idea on what the frequency response of the 8" drive is?

Have you heard these speakers in person?

Last edited by vernors; 10-27-2017 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 12:29 AM   #32
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170691
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:28 AM   #33
vernors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks! That was everything I needed to know. Took a gamble buying them, hopefully they arrive in good shape but should be a good fit to the system. They seemed to dip down surprisingly low, 25hz that thread said.

Been considering what to go with for the main amp/DSP. You've sold me on the idea of getting a processor.

But instead of an amp/DSP combo I'm probably going to stick with the Helix Dark Blue 5 channel as it's stable to 1 ohm. Those 8"s are 2 ohm (I think). Not going to worry about stereo for them and this way I already know what to expect from the amp. It sounds good and has 75 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Plus, I think it's somewhere around 700 watts at 1 ohm for channel 5, Way more than enough for the 8's.

So, now need to figure out which DSP to choose. One that sounds interesting is the Mosconi 6 to 8. I only need 6 channels if I keep the two 8's on one....but I like that the Mosconi can be controlled via an android ap. Going with an MHD app/tuner anyway...so makes sense to control both through the same device. I'm planning on mounting it somewhere in the car.

I've heard that there are other DSP's that also work through an app. Anyone know of app controled DSPs? Would be cool to have different sound layouts/set ups for when there are other people in the car....as well as rolling solo.

Last edited by vernors; 10-29-2017 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:51 AM   #34
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernors View Post
Thanks! That was everything I needed to know. Took a gamble buying them, hopefully they arrive in good shape but should be a good fit to the system. They seemed to dip down surprisingly low, 25hz that thread said.

Been considering what to go with for the main amp/DSP. You've sold me on the idea of getting a processor.

But instead of an amp/DSP combo I'm probably going to stick with the Helix Dark Blue 5 channel as it's stable to 1 ohm. Those 8"s are 2 ohm (I think). Not going to worry about stereo for them and this way I already know what to expect from the amp. It sounds good and has 75 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Plus, I think it's somewhere around 700 watts at 1 ohm for channel 5, Way more than enough for the 8's.

So, now need to figure out which DSP to choose. Here are the considerations.

Audison Bit Ten
Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 or .3
AudioControl DM-608
JL Audio Twk 88
Mosconi 6 to 8

I like the idea that the Mosconi can be controlled via an android ap. Going with MHD...so makes sense to control both through the same device. I've heard that there are other DSP's that work through an app.

Know any app controlled DSPS? Thoughts on the above choices? Thx.
Mono midbass- not a great idea.

The 6to8 is only Android controlled through the optional BT dongle and does only volume, sub, fader/balance, presets. It does not allowing for tuning via Android or any app, that is still all PC based.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:25 PM   #35
vernors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, logically running both underseats in mono won't be as good as in stereo.

But, I also don't know how much difference there would be between the two set ups. No question, there would be some negative staging/imaging affect, but since they are under the seats and they are already muffled it may not be significant enough. If they were positioned in a door card or wheel well I'd definitely go stereo.

Going to set up without for now, once tuned with the DSP I'll see how it sounds.

Regarding the Mosconi, you mention 'presets' does that mean I'll be able to set and select different tune set ups? If so, that's a bonus as I've always assumed that having people in the car should change the sound stage to be more pleasant for all.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #36
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Just chiming in on upgrades that I'm in the process of. My journey was to install the ccc that I bought with my donor car, but as luck would find it, I found a bunch of goodies local to me, like hd radio, Sirius, and logic 7 ( all speakers and amp). I have the basic sub amp and needed a serious change. So for now I installed the logic 7 speakers in the front doors, rear deck and subs. These upgrades made a huge difference. I may just sell the amp and go aftermarket, unless you run all the speaker wires from the head, forget the logic 7 amp. The speakers themselves are much clearer than the cheaper ones. Powering the subs would be perfect, now to start running wires for the nav, antennas,hd radio, and iboc tuner.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #37
vernors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, the speakers are a big let down in the HiFi system. I've heard the Logic 7 and it sounds significantly better. Good luck with the upgrades, swapping the amp will make a huge difference.

I've been going back and forth on this part as I've got a 5 channel Helix which is a very good amp....but really should go with the JLXD600/6v2....
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #38
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Given that you have an E60 and the E60 and E90 Hi Fi systems are different and it appears no one has pointed that out yet, I wanted to jump in and make sure you don't end up purchasing something that won't work for you. If you plan on purchasing a Technic harness make sure you get one specifically for the E60 HiFi system. The E60 utilizes the headunit to power the mids/highs and only uses an amplifier mounted in the trunk to power the under seat woofers. The Technic harness you need will require removing the factory head unit and running a new harness from the front to the trunk of the car.
Appreciate 0