E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > For those of you with scratches, do you fix it or wait to accumulate more?

01-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
For those of you with scratches, do you fix it or wait to accumulate more?

Haven't really examined my car's paint closely in a while, did so today, and noticed I got these long claw looking scratch marks on the side of my hood. Doesn't seem too deep probably just the top clear coat, looks like maybe something dragged across cause you'll only notice it if you look closely through a certain angle.

Nevertheless, it's pissing me off, should I pay a detailer to fix this right away? Or is it something I should wait to accumulate more damages eventually (the rest of the car seems fine as of now) and get my whole car detailed altogether in the future ?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
If it annoys you, get it fixed now. Think positive, you may never get any more scratches
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Certain color paint systems are more prone to surface defects in the BMW lines. Jet Black is one of them. The paint is super soft.

When it does scratch, it generally comes out with a mild approach ( pad and polish). It does takes a bit of experience to finish down_however.

I would recommend you look into a coating ( such as Opti-coat, Cquartz, GTechniq Crystal Lacquer ) after your paint has been corrected by a good detailer.
      01-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

I tend to do a one step correction once a year, when the weather gets nice again.

Until then, if it gets nice enough I do a quick coat of einzette polish wax that hides a lot of that stuff and top it with another coat of einzette glanz wax.

Mine is no show car by any means but people routinely ask me if it's new, despite 125k miles.
      01-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
supasta01
Rep
Drives: E90 328Xi

Scratches

I was really damn concerned about the scratches my car accumulated (Black Sapphire). I kinda have given up now... cause at the end of it all, your going to get scratches no matter how you try.

All I do is use foam gun instead of a regular brush and use wool gloves to wash them. Then, I use spray wax or hard wax to protect the car.

I've had the car for a while and tried many different things but kinda ignoring the scratches helps you not to stay stressed ( I mean come on there are better things to do in life) Just sayin!
Appreciate 0