Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > rear tires used faster than front! Is that normal?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 / 18'F82

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
rear tires used faster than front! Is that normal?

Hey guys! I have a question regarding to my tires, As the title said, My rear tires is used much more faster than the front, I just used them for half year and the rear is almost used up while the front still have more than half way to go. Is that normal?(prob not) They are brand new Continental DWs, I bought them in the last summer from tire rack. Any input is appreciated.

ps I know I might post it in the wrong section but I guess here has more experts than other section
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Really depends if your car has camber in the rear and your driving habits, but i'm assuming you have camber in the rear so your answer would be yes the rears should wear out faster since all the weight gets transferred there during acceleration.

But for AWD, they should wear evenly but once again put everything I said into thought.
      02-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
Really depends if your car has camber in the rear and your driving habits, but i'm assuming you have camber in the rear so your answer would be yes the rears should wear out faster since all the weight gets transferred there during acceleration.

But for AWD, they should wear evenly but once again put everything I said into thought.
Thanks man, I think there is no camber in the rear, at least I can't notice that. And my driving habit is a bit of aggresive but not too much. I'm thinking maybe it's because of the alignment? I was driving with wrong alignment for 5 month and got it corrected recently. I just can't measure how much impact it would be.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

There ya go, you answered your own question must of been an alignment all along, did you by any chance get an alignment after you got your springs installed? if not then there's the culprit and got a picture of your alignment papers?
      02-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Whether the alignment is spot on or not, you will wear the rear tires faster than front.

Same exact thing on my 09 328 - Conti DW staggered setup - bought (2) sets of rear tires to (1) set of fronts. Tires were worn evenly.

The fronts however, have a tendency to wear faster on the inside edges about 2" in before the rest of the tread is worn - due to alignment specs.

I have my car aligned by dealer 1X/yr and get Before/After spec printouts - always right in the required range for all settings.

I was told both by dealer & Tirerack that this is normal...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
There ya go, you answered your own question must of been an alignment all along, did you by any chance get an alignment after you got your springs installed? if not then there's the culprit and got a picture of your alignment papers?
Lol, yea. Found a thread in the tire section where the OP has the same question with me, read all 4 pages then find out

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Whether the alignment is spot on or not, you will wear the rear tires faster than front.

Same exact thing on my 09 328 - Conti DW staggered setup - bought (2) sets of rear tires to (1) set of fronts. Tires were worn evenly.

The fronts however, have a tendency to wear faster on the inside edges about 2" in before the rest of the tread is worn - due to alignment specs.

I have my car aligned by dealer 1X/yr and get Before/After spec printouts - always right in the required range for all settings.

I was told both by dealer & Tirerack that this is normal...
Really? it is normal?

It makes me feel better lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Well, that's what I have been told by the so called 'experts' (dealer/Tirerack)

Another tidbit I learned during my last conversation with Tirerack:

If you have tires that offer a treadwear warranty thru the manufacturer, & you are running a staggered tire size setup - the treadwear warranty is VOID - even if the tires are worn evenly and you have proof of regular alignments
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

Yes normal. My staggered setup goes through rears about twice as fast as fronts. It's really curvy where I live though.
      02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

Absolutely normal, the BMW is more rear wheel biased even on an xDrive.
You will notice camber wear regardless if your alignment has been done or not.
      02-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Thanks guys, your advices really helped me. Now I can order a new set of rear tires peacefully
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, that's what I have been told by the so called 'experts' (dealer/Tirerack)

Another tidbit I learned during my last conversation with Tirerack:

If you have tires that offer a treadwear warranty thru the manufacturer, & you are running a staggered tire size setup - the treadwear warranty is VOID - even if the tires are worn evenly and you have proof of regular alignments
one more question
staggered setup means different tire size between front and rear? like my front is 235/35/19 and rear is 265/30/19?
If so, then does bmw performance wheels&tires from dealership has threadwear warranty? cuz there are F225 R255?

well, I asked two questions lol
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
cuiter23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2 6Spd

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [6.00]
post this in the wheels and tires section.
[SOLD] 2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
2023 G87 M2 6Spd - HEA Package | OEM M Performance Carbon Wing
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
How many Km's do you think you got on your DW's before you had to swap them? My rears lasted two seasons and about 35000 kms. So yeah, the rears go way before the fronts.

Last edited by Volasko; 02-03-2013 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Edited for accuracy and grammer
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Fwiw. Just replaced both back tires today. Both
were punctured and worn out, per the SA. The
back passenger was a little worse than the back
driver.

i thought I was a conservative driver.

Fronts had 4/32 left and he said go another month or
two.

25,000 miles. Bridgestone Potenza RFS.
Covered with the tire warranty.

Last edited by Noncom23; 02-14-2013 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I have Conti DWs stock staggered for sport package. Roughly 33k miles on them. Rears are near wear bars, can't see the DW, fronts look like they have at least 10k more miles. Still not bad mileage overall. Thinking of going square setup to rotate and even things out.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Void? Doubtful; most manufacturers will warranty staggered tire fitments for at least HALF the warranty period that a square setup would receive...

From Michelin's website:
Quote:
* Mileage Warranty Exceptions
Split fitments - If your vehicle has tires of different sizes on the front versus the rear axles, your tires cannot be rotated as recommended. Therefore, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire line.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #18
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Simply passing along what I was told by Tirerack salesman on the phone.

I was relating to him that my rear Conti wore out 2X as fast as fronts.

Conti has no treadwear warranty

Inquired about several other mfg. of All-Season tires WITH warranty in staggered setup for my next purchase

Was told directly that it didn't matter whether the mfg. offers a treadwear warranty or not - if you are running staggered setup - the warranty is VOID.

Now whether that particular person had any idea about what he was talking about - couldn't tell you. But as a rep of a large company that's main business is selling tires day in & day out, I would think they would be trained to give correct info...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Well, if you follow that school of thought than I'd imagine you wouldn't have a problem trusting EVERY dealership service adviser you come across as well lol misinformation

If you want proper information, try investing some time in separating truth from fiction by going straight to the source. Yes, your DWs are the exception, but that's not true for other tires at all. I mean even tirerack has this information clearly spelled out on their website; you just have to look for it:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....remeContact+DW

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Super+Sport

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ort+A%2FS+Plus

*obviously, you'll have to click on the "Warranty" tab for each link selected above*
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Void? Doubtful; most manufacturers will warranty staggered tire fitments for at least HALF the warranty period that a square setup would receive...

From Michelin's website:
Yes, exactly their policy. When I had to have some tires replaced for "chunking" (Michelin traced the problem back to a faulty mold in their factory at the time they were made), that's what they quoted to figure my rebate under the warranty.

But, when I complained that both front and rears had the problem, they tore up the policy and honored the FULL warranty on the tires, decision made on the phone with the tire installer, took maybe 15 minutes.

Way to step up to the plate, Michelin!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

I had this same problem on my E90 330xi. I was lowered on Bilstein Sport shocks and H&R "i" specific sport springs. Would literally go through a set of 275/30/19 rear tires in one summer/season. Despite my alignment/camber being in spec, I had the same problem the following summer. My shop couldn't figure it out, but rear tires were literally bald after one season.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I know the Tire Rack sponsors this section of the Forum but...

So I had this same issue. I replaced my suspension with BMW OEM components at 183,000 miles last June. Did my FIRST alignment at that mileage. I routinely averaged about 35,000 miles per set of tires, which is on my sport package 325i with a square set up - switched to 18" CSLs - running 235/40-18 ultra high performance all-season. Well the shop totally effed the alignment (toe was way out) and I went through the rear tires really quick (they had about 17K on them at the time of the alignment and only went another 10K) I replaced the tires in November 2011. Rotated them in December at 5,000 miles. In February I went to rotate them again at 11,000 total miles on the new set and the rears were toast. I was pissed. Went back to alignment shop and of course they said the alignment was in spec, but they could "tweak it" to make it better. BS BS BS...

Long story short, called tire rack. Good luck with mileage warranty. Since I have my own shop at home, I buy tires from the Rack, ship to my house, remove the wheels, take everything to a tire shop in my pickup and have the tires mounted on the rims and I reinstall everything back home - so my car never goes to the shop to get tires installed, thus no record of mileage when the tires are installed. Now I have records of every fill up by date, so I can prove the date I have the tires installed, and inference to the mileage they were installed (by me), but that was no help.

To make a warranty claim at the Rack, you have to ship the tires back to them, which costs you money. In my case the issue was obviously the alignment, so the Rack gets to point at the alignment shop and the alignment shop gets to point at the tires (i.e. leave it to a mileage claim with the Rack). So I was SOL.

Lesson learned. My advice is just get tires from a reputable tire shop and have the alignment checked and set properly. If you then find your tires do not last to the warranty mileage, you can go back to the shop that sold you the tires and did the alignment and not have any finger pointing. The Rack doesn't save you enough money to make it worth giving up convenient claim to a treadwear warranty.
Appreciate 0