E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Just when you think it won't happen to you...

05-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Just when you think it won't happen to you...

I got in the car this morning to head off to work (instead of Bimmerfest ), and I had extremely rough startup and idle. There were no long cranks, just a really rough idle. There was also a pretty foul gaseous smell evident in the garage (yes I had the door opened). I'm guessing this means I have been bitten by the dreaded HPFP bug. I currently have about 21K miles and I use only Shell 91. Guess I'm taking it in Monday. I had to drive the minivan to work today!!
      05-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

that about when mine went, never had gas smell. sorry man, should only be a day in the shop

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Could be a bad plug or coil, due to the rough idle..Did a check engine light pop up?
      05-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep

So Sunday rolls around, go out and start the car...no issues. I'm thinking cool, maybe it was an isolated incident on Saturday. Monday morning I go out and start the car...rough idle, SES light, "engine malfunction, reduced power" message. I turn off the car for a bit, restart it and all is well. I take it down to BMW of SD, and they had it most of the day and (according to the paperwork) it says fault code 29D0 came up. I think this is misfire cylinder 4. My SA said BMW's procedure is to reset the codes, drive and see if it reappears. If not, return car to customer. So they call me back after doing nothing, to pick up the car. I pick it up, go in this morning to start the car...and I get rough idle, SES light, "engine malfunction, reduced power." Again, I turn it off for a bit, restart it with no issues. I head off to work, I floor it to pass someone on the freeway...and I get a SES light, "engine malfunction, reduced power." Am I under the impression that BMW wants me to live with my car like this until it actually breaks down for good. Until then I'm driving a POS, that may or may not leave me stranded. I have absolutely loved my car up to this point, now I have doubts. You shouldn't have to wonder if your going to be able to make it to work on time or at all with a nearly $50K new car.
      05-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

That sucks. All I had to say was I had long cranks in the morning. I never had a ses. They took my car and had it back the next day with a new pump. depends on the dealer ivguess. They should all be aware of the fuel pump issues on these engines.

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep

The problem continued today, a total of 3 times. I called the dealer...they said bring it in tomorrow. So I guess we'll see what they say tomorrow. I'm really freakin pissed, not what you expect from a car you pay so much for.

Coincidentally, there is a full page article in this month's Bimmer magazine that highlights the BMW's from 1999- present. They had nothing but bad to say about the E9X 335 and the related problems. Value and longtime ownership of these (according to them) will most certainly go down. They highlighted many of the problems we already know about including: HPFP, injectors, coils, etc. They said beyond the warranty, not recommended to keep car unless you have a really good job (paraphrased).

Almost wondering if I should of bought a nice used E46 M3.
      05-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Cleanasscoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I just picked up my 335i 4 days ago....everyday since then I had extremely long cranks and it was very shaky when it finally started...and to make things worse...I got a low oil reading..it came on when the car started then went away
I took it in for service yesterday and they said they changed the hpfp and topped of the oil...hopefully when i pick it up today I will not have any more problems...good luck to you bro.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's still in the shop, for the second time in a week. They kept it over the long weekend, and I should get it back Tuesday or Wednesday. I talked for a while with the SA about the issue. He said, as mentioned on here before, that most of the troubleshooting issues with this kind of thing are handled by BMWNA and not the dealerships. Their hands are kind of tied when it comes to dealing with this.

He did give me the number to BMWNA and recommended I call and complain about my issues. Despite what people believe (or refuse to), he said the problem is very common amongst the N54 engines. He said he is aware of a few favorable buy-backs from BMW because of the issue.

He said basically they were told by BMWNA to replace all my injectors and coil packs and something else. Nothing about the HPFP though; which means I'll probably be back.

Ultimately, I still love the car and want it fixed. But it won't take too many more repeat stops at the dealer before I demand a buy back from BMW.
      06-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

That sounds about right...I would have said new injectors. My 2008 had two HPFPs, new injectors, three fuel sensors, a new fuel gauge and 2x reprogramming before BMW would buy the car back. I would say my buy-black was highly favorable.

The car was so awesome, I ordered a new one. The price/performance can't be beat if you can handle the HPFP issues.
      06-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just heard from the SA. He said they replaced the injectors, spark plugs and de-couplers (hold injectors ??). Did not replace the HPFP though.

He also said they could not reload my DINAN and that they needed to remove the DME and send to DINAN...so I wait another 3 or 4 days....
      06-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
brentseay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90

Garage List
1996 318i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
I, uh, don't like hearing anything about any of this, haha. I bought a BMW because XYZ and "it'll last 200k miles and hold it's value". I'm not going back to an accord or a dodge ram. BMW needs to quit the runaround. If there's a problem, they need to fix it.

My dealership has been lightyears beyond any experience I've ever had. I've gotten so much free stuff from them not part of my 100k warranty/maintenance it's not funny. And not to mention complimentary details of the car after every service. My BMW dealer knows how to treat a damn customer.

Today, I went in and told them e90post.com told me the tweeting noises from my brakes are caused by a bad brake sensor. They verified it and replaced the rear pads and sensor as part of my free maintenance. Tweeting gone.

I can only hope if I tell them e90post.com said the HPFP is dying that they will be as listening and replace it. Other than brakes and the HPFP, I'm not reading/hearing any other major problems that are extremely common with stock cars. But I'm still a noob around here so maybe I missed a few things.

Brent
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep

The dealership has been good in all of this so far, they've had me in a brand new 328i, which despite the lack of power actually drives pretty nice.

The dealers (in most cases) are just as frustrated about the ongoing problems (HPFP, injectors, etc) with the N54's. That is the main reason my SA said to give BMWNA a call and voice my disappointment.

I love the car. I'm upset that it has been in the dealership for one week and will possibly go into two weeks.

Really I'm not overly concerned about the repairs themselves, I just don't want the car fu*ked up while it sits at the dealer. I am super anal about my car. It is almost 3 years old and it looks brand new inside and out.