E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Winter storage

08-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Bungle009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Winter storage

Im in the process of buying an E92 M3, and am considering getting a daily driver for the winter months (Dec - Feb) for about 2k, whilst SORN & Garaging the M3, and use it for 9 months (Mar - November). I do about 15k miles p/a so this would trim the mileage from the M3 and wouldn't cost too much to do.

What would I need to do to store the m3. Would it need any preparation or maintenance while stored. I don't think i could run both cars through the winter as i need to transfer NCB from 1 to the other. Could i insure both cars at the same time ?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Your insurer will usually let you copy your current NCB onto another car. That is what I did last year when I bought a winter runaround whilst keeping my 335d also insured.

Do you really want your M3 sitting in a garage with no insurance, sounds too risky to me. As regards prep of the car there is nothing really to do, don't let it get mega dusty, some consider a trickle battery charger but best option is to take it out a few runs, that charges up the battery and then gives you the incentive to wash it before parking again for a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle009 View Post
Im in the process of buying an E92 M3, and am considering getting a daily driver for the winter months (Dec - Feb) for about 2k, whilst SORN & Garaging the M3, and use it for 9 months (Mar - November). I do about 15k miles p/a so this would trim the mileage from the M3 and wouldn't cost too much to do.

What would I need to do to store the m3. Would it need any preparation or maintenance while stored. I don't think i could run both cars through the winter as i need to transfer NCB from 1 to the other. Could i insure both cars at the same time ?
I'd keep the M3 insured - then you can go for a blast if the roads are salt-free at any time. It will be fine for a couple of months without charging the battery. My E60 530d used to stand outside for that length of time and was always a good starter (until the battery expired!!)

In my experience, an insurer will give you some introductory credit for having NCB on another car, but they do tend to think you are a high risk, just because you have another car.

For a winter hack, don't discount the larger car - at that end of the price scale they can be more cost effective than buying a smaller car which carry a premium because a lot of people want a smaller car. I'm currently running a £1300 '05 Mondeo Diesel Ghia. Fairly cheap to insure as an "extra" (around £300 fully comp iirc). It starts well, is surprisingly comfortable, averages 50mpg, will cruise at the MSL happily, I don't mind filling the boot with rubble for the tip, it pulls the caravan or the bike trailer, will produce an impressive smoke screen when booted, rolls like a dog on wet grass when cornered enthusiastically, has a quickclear screen for frosty mornings. But it is beige, with a beige interior

(and comes in handy when (heaven forbid) someone writes off your BMW like what happened to me)

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I faced the same decision when buying my winter car last year, larger cars can be cheaper than the smaller ones but my reckoning was that a Fiesta / Corsa would be much easier to sell on as more people want them. I bought an 03 Fiesta Zetec, held out to find a black one, again for resale. Sold really easily for £50 more than I paid for it come the end of winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Bungle009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Im looking at a 55 plate Mazda 6 2.3 sport. 2.5k. 70k miles. They should be bullet proof. Will speak to my insurer about adding another car. Thanks chaps.
Appreciate 0