E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 325i 3.0 N53 Remap

05-13-2017, 03:46 AM   #45
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
What fault codes are you getting? I doubt Nox will be holding you back, it will be plug/coil/fuel related..
I'm not sure on the code, the garage just said there is a box sensor fault but that won't be effecting my power. Even though injectors are not throwing up a code or engine management light there is definitely something wrong with some of them as I get the rough start and little puff of smoke when flooring it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #46
SID2GO
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 325i N53

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_feet View Post
I'm not sure on the code, the garage just said there is a box sensor fault but that won't be effecting my power. Even though injectors are not throwing up a code or engine management light there is definitely something wrong with some of them as I get the rough start and little puff of smoke when flooring it.
I dont get the rough start but i do get puff of smoke and slight hesitant when the car idles. At the moment i just forked out £1030 for 6 injectors and waiting for their arrival. no error code for me but i have seen some who suffer from this issue and its just a 50/50 on whether you get the code or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #47
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID2GO View Post
I dont get the rough start but i do get puff of smoke and slight hesitant when the car idles. At the moment i just forked out £1030 for 6 injectors and waiting for their arrival. no error code for me but i have seen some who suffer from this issue and its just a 50/50 on whether you get the code or not.
I had same issues on my 325i M sport N53 which was doing the same thing. Bought idle but when it got better it would idle fine.

Car had LSD, 330i DISA valves manifold and Mossleman tune. There is a huge diff w Tune and without. When BMW flashed it w update, it ran very slow. W flash those cars have seen 295hp on Dyno.

Anyhow whomever has my old SB10 reg plus the other 3 numbers black 325i M-SPort , has a pretty sweet car w Bilsteins, Eibach and HR sways, and autofolding mirrors but that damn misfire you're talking about, I know what it is. After I changed the valve cover as it started to leak oil and had a crack. Its started to misfire shortly before the change of the manifold.

Its not injectors. Its the high pressure fuel pump. That is why I traded the car. Its an easy enough job, but I was just tired of working on it and at 700 plus for the part. it was it. Car had about 70K when it was traded.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #48
tim.buckley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i SE 3.0 N53 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterspeed View Post
I had same issues on my 325i M sport N53 which was doing the same thing. Bought idle but when it got better it would idle fine.

Car had LSD, 330i DISA valves manifold and Mossleman tune. There is a huge diff w Tune and without. When BMW flashed it w update, it ran very slow. W flash those cars have seen 295hp on Dyno.

Anyhow whomever has my old SB10 reg plus the other 3 numbers black 325i M-SPort , has a pretty sweet car w Bilsteins, Eibach and HR sways, and autofolding mirrors but that damn misfire you're talking about, I know what it is. After I changed the valve cover as it started to leak oil and had a crack. Its started to misfire shortly before the change of the manifold.

Its not injectors. Its the high pressure fuel pump. That is why I traded the car. Its an easy enough job, but I was just tired of working on it and at 700 plus for the part. it was it. Car had about 70K when it was traded.
I've got a 2007 N53 3.0 325i SE which has around 76k on it. Prior to my ownership, it has had two replacement injectors, replacement NOX sensor, and there was another warranty payout I can't recall the details of. I bought it late last year and had nothing but trouble. The garage I bought it from paid for my local garage who I trust implicitly to do the repairs, so to try and stop it from misfiring (multiple), shaking, cutting out and going into limp mode it has had two new injectors, a new HPFP, low pressure fuel sensor, and 6 new spark plugs. The engine management light is like a lottery, sometimes it's on, sometimes it isn't, and as it is the car that my wife uses for work and school runs etc, it needs to be reliable, and it simply isn't. It's going in for service and MOT within the next 4 weeks, I'll get it plugged into the computer to look for stored codes.

I'm currently running it on VPower instead of normal 95 Shell fuel, but so far it doesn't seem any better on 99 fuel with better additive packs.

If it doesn't start running better then it's going, shame as it's a lovely car to look at, it's Sparkling Anthracite E90, paintwork shines up nicely, I've added staggered M Sport wheels. It's my first experience with BMW, and currently I'm filled with nothing but regret. We got rid of a 64 plate car (Corsa) for the BMW as it was too small, too slow and the depreciation was terrible.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #49
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Personally I would just take out a BMW Warranty for £40-50 a month and then take it to BMW to sort out.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #50
jamherber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330i N53 & Lotus Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Personally I would just take out a BMW Warranty for £40-50 a month and then take it to BMW to sort out.
Unfortunately the age and mileage put the monthly figure north of £90 plus a £100 excess for every claim. If it's an intermittent fault they'll replace a component or group of components and claim it's fixed. If it throws up another error, they'll take another £100 excess from you so unless you're sure it's one particular pricey item (or group of items eg multiple injectors), then this may not be the most cost effective route.

Just worth baring in mind if going down this route.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #51
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamherber View Post
Unfortunately the age and mileage put the monthly figure north of £90 plus a £100 excess for every claim. If it's an intermittent fault they'll replace a component or group of components and claim it's fixed. If it throws up another error, they'll take another £100 excess from you so unless you're sure it's one particular pricey item (or group of items eg multiple injectors), then this may not be the most cost effective route.

Just worth baring in mind if going down this route.
Yes but the most common fault with these engines are the injectors, coils, plugs and HPFP. My car went into limp mode in the first few months of ownership. Car got collected on a flat bed by BMW, due to the various PUMA articles and my warranty they replaced all 6 injectors, plugs, coils and HPFP. Over £2ks worth of work for one claim

All these items now have a BMW 2 year parts warranty so doesn't class as another claim unless they fail after the 2 years.

Car hasn't missed a beat in over a year.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 03:00 AM   #52
jamherber
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Yes but the most common fault with these engines are the injectors, coils, plugs and HPFP. My car went into limp mode in the first few months of ownership. Car got collected on a flat bed by BMW, due to the various PUMA articles and my warranty they replaced all 6 injectors, plugs, coils and HPFP. Over £2ks worth of work for one claim

All these items now have a BMW 2 year parts warranty so doesn't class as another claim unless they fail after the 2 years.

Car hasn't missed a beat in over a year.
Sounds like you had a very helpful dealer and it worked out well for you. Friend of mine had the warranty and cold start issues and the dealer would only replace the injector/s that were flagged up as an issue on the diagnostics - he had three injectors replaced but one at a time and had to pay the excess each time so it didn't work out quite as well for him.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 06:49 AM   #53
SID2GO
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterspeed View Post

that's a shame. I brought my car when it had 72k on it. as i said before some on else had issue with their 330i when it only dyno 230bhp. If it was my hpfp then a code should have appeared and also would have a the long crank issue. i even change the spark plugs and they came out white instead of black. it was dry so i was not sure what it could mean as before i use to have a vw 2.0T and the spark plugs are black. I have a feeling its the injectors as before i had the nox and cat delete i would get a misfire code from cylinder 6 only and a low pressure fuel pump code also. after the remap im not getting any codes. before the map my car was running 160bhp, after the map i got 203bhp, after the nox and cat delete i ended up with 230bhp. after my research people had to get their injectors changed after having the nox sensor replaced which made believe that i should also change mine. I have not checked the current injector revisions as of yet but i did recieve my new injectors yesterday which are all rev 11 and will have them fitted tomorrow morning by a certified bmw indie garage for £125 which includes labour and the injector programmed to the ecu. currently my car is at 80k as we speak now but i have never seen a engine warning light or the drive effected apart from performance drop and the slight hesitation on idle.

i would like to also mention that i once have done a 400 mile round trip and i did get the O2 and lambda sensor over heating code for all 4 sensors. but after clearing the code it has not appeared as of lately as i was only visiting family.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 03:04 AM   #54
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

My understanding is that injector have to be replace in at least 3 at a time - i.e. per bank... If the BMW dealer is doing it...

Otherwise you should never mix injectors model ranges and Ive a felling this maybe a lot to do with the problems...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #55
jamherber
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My understanding is that injector have to be replace in at least 3 at a time - i.e. per bank... If the BMW dealer is doing it...

Otherwise you should never mix injectors model ranges and Ive a felling this maybe a lot to do with the problems...
Our N53 330i has a mix of different index injectors on each bank (a dealer replaced 4 of the 6 under warranty in 2011 and I've had to replace 2 more in the last 6 months).

Runs absolutely spot on.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #56
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Our N53 330i has a mix of different index injectors on each bank (a dealer replaced 4 of the 6 under warranty in 2011 and I've had to replace 2 more in the last 6 months).

Runs absolutely spot on.
Are you running index 11?

My understanding is that Index 11 is not recommended to be mixed per engine (although it may work fine). However previous index's could be mixed as long as they were the same per bank...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #57
jamherber
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you running index 11?

My understanding is that Index 11 is not recommended to be mixed per engine (although it may work fine). However previous index's could be mixed as long as they were the same per bank...
Yes running 2x index 11's, both on same bank. Only info I can find relating to not mixing certain index injectors is for the N54 engine which uses slightly different injectors (and is now at index 12 for that engine).

My local dealer wasn't aware of the need to replace in banks and said they'd replaced several with index 11 individually to date (on the N53 engines).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #58
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Sorry I'm probably not grasping this, are you saying that you have mixed bank? 2 x index11 with 1 index 10/9 etc?

Or that you have 1 bank of index 11 (so 3 injectors in cylinder 1-3 or 4-6) and the second bank with a different index..?

The reason you can't mix index per bank is they are not programmable or controllable in anything less than one bank at a time - there are 2 connections from the ecu to each bank not to each injector.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #59
jamherber
Private First Class
Rep

2 x index 11 with one index 09 on bank 1, bank 2 has one index 01, one 06 and one 09 (like this after last main dealer warranty work).

Have done 9k miles like this so far, perfect idle, 43mpg on a run, pulls strongely to the limiter.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #60
SID2GO
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

So, had my injectors installed last Thursday and my car feels so much better. my old injectors are all rev 11 which is strange. but i will probably put them on ebay untested
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 03:01 AM   #61
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

I think injector index 11 being more reliable is a matter of hope than fact..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #62
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
2 x index 11 with one index 09 on bank 1, bank 2 has one index 01, one 06 and one 09 (like this after last main dealer warranty work).

Have done 9k miles like this so far, perfect idle, 43mpg on a run, pulls strongely to the limiter.
43MPG !!!!!!
Appreciate 0