E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC Stage 2 is here. Now Available at your local GIAC dealer.

09-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #67
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
The price point is amazing if you think about how much power you're getting for the money. There are very few applications where you can get 100hp for only $1000 - stock-like smooth horse power...
Sorry, but I have to disagree, in order to get their top performing map you need to spend an additional $350 (flashloader + race map). So the price is actually $1350 which roughly 2.5x more expensive than a JB3 and 1.5x more than a PROcede which both produce more power and offer a heck of a lot more features.

I am guessing it produces smooth power delivery and is an excellent product (it is getting a lot of postive reviews) but it is significantly overpriced compared to the top performing solutions for the N54 platform for what you get.
      09-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #68
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Huh? You mean you can load a stage 2 on the car without all the supporting hardware mods, and add them later one piece at a time?
Good Sir,

This should make more sense. My Post was mentioning the options (Stock/Race/Valet| HandHeld Switcher) for the Stage 2 Flash. I did not mention any other hardware mods.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #69
only1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z06, 09 e90335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree, in order to get their top performing map you need to spend an additional $350 (flashloader + race map). So the price is actually $1350 which roughly 2.5x more expensive than a JB3 and 1.5x more than a PROcede which both produce more power and offer a heck of a lot more features.

I am guessing it produces smooth power delivery and is an excellent product (it is getting a lot of postive reviews) but it is significantly overpriced compared to the top performing solutions for the N54 platform for what you get.

actually, i have the top map and paid only 1000. who says you need the switcher?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #70
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC View Post
Tire Company stocks will be going up.
I hear ya there - it's good to finally see Stage2 released.

As with AE, we are also an authorized GIAC flashing facility.

We'll have our 1er flashed with the handheld switcher on Monday for those wanting to see the tune/switcher in action. Those within the Orange County area - we can flash on site or even bench-flash for those willing to ship their DME to us.

Any questions, feel free to call, email or PM any of us directly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #71
OctoberfestE92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

this IS good news !!

looking forward to getting that hand held switcher...
      09-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #72
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberfestE92 View Post
this IS good news !!

looking forward to getting that hand held switcher...
Yes indeed!

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #73
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

The pricing seems a little insane for what it is. Btwn the dyno/track results, it always finishes lower/slower. If htat price was cut in half then maybe there would be more intrest. Any GIAC guys in the north jersey area? Id like to check it out one day and maybe "compare" a couple of things.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #74
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1 View Post
actually, i have the top map and paid only 1000. who says you need the switcher?
Do you fill with 105 octane all the time, in order to drive on that map ?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 03:00 AM   #75
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Nick - so your saying I can put stage 2 on my stock car and run it without mods, but add the mods as I can?
The fact is, all of the required hardware mods (besides the DCI but even that) cause increased engine stress if not used. You would not want to risk your engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #76
only1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z06, 09 e90335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Do you fill with 105 octane all the time, in order to drive on that map ?
No, but i run meth and 94, 100 percent of the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #77
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
The fact is, all of the required hardware mods (besides the DCI but even that) cause increased engine stress if not used. You would not want to risk your engine.
Care to elaborate? How does a free flow exhaust, DPs, or FMIC cause more engine stress?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #78
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Care to elaborate? How does a free flow exhaust, DPs, or FMIC cause more engine stress?
No, I'm pretty sure that running stage 2 without stage 2 mods will hurt your engine and that's what he was saying. Notice the "if not used" on the end of his statement. It took me a while to catch that.

I think there's some confusing information on this thread so I will clear things up. I believe that Nick was trying to explain this but it probably didn't read the same way he was thinking.

Here's the bottom line...

You cannot run stage 2 if you don't have stage 2 mods, which is what was listed on the first thread.

DPs
Aftermarket IC
Intake
High Flow Exhaust

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #79
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
No, I'm pretty sure that running stage 2 without stage 2 mods will hurt your engine and that's what he was saying. Notice the "if not used" on the end of his statement. It took me a while to catch that.

I think there's some confusing information on this thread so I will clear things up. I believe that Nick was trying to explain this but it probably didn't read the same way he was thinking.

Here's the bottom line...

You cannot run stage 2 if you don't have stage 2 mods, which is what was listed on the first thread.

DPs
Aftermarket IC
Intake
High Flow Exhaust
Oh - thanks Mr. 5, now I see that too...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #80
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
The pricing seems a little insane for what it is. Btwn the dyno/track results, it always finishes lower/slower. If htat price was cut in half then maybe there would be more intrest. Any GIAC guys in the north jersey area? Id like to check it out one day and maybe "compare" a couple of things.
The price is dirt cheap considering the HP and TQ gains and the stock-like power delivery. Many of us buy aftermarket exhausts for more money to gain 2 HP and make noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #81
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The stress is caused if they are NOT used with the Stage 2, that's what I was saying. Everything (besides the DCI in my opinion) is geared towards lowering EGTs. I think the DCI should be replaced with a CAI for best results...Mr. 5 - style intake would be the best (I'm still trying to find a way to fit a cone filter inside the bumper next to my supplemental water cooler from the Power Kit which takes up all the space... )
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #82
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Does this new flash option allow you to return the car back to stock for service/dealer visits? I do realize that flashes will leave certain information in the car's computer like over boost.....

In any event, I'm very interested if I can use this flash loader at home to add or remove the GIAC myself rather than bring it to a GIAC dealer to remove it, then bring it to BMW to get something fixed, and then bring it back to a GIAC dealer to get the car reflashed...
      09-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #83
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

The stock map is just "stock-like" the GIAC software cannot be removed or applied outside of a GIAC shop. It simply dials down everything so the car drives as it was not tuned. GIAC requires several items as precautionary measures to prevent users from frying their DME at home - hence if you want your stock software you'll have to head on back to your local GIAC dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #84
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I hear ya there - it's good to finally see Stage2 released.

As with AE, we are also an authorized GIAC flashing facility.

We'll have our 1er flashed with the handheld switcher on Monday for those wanting to see the tune/switcher in action. Those within the Orange County area - we can flash on site or even bench-flash for those willing to ship their DME to us.

Any questions, feel free to call, email or PM any of us directly.

So you actually have the ability to download the files you need for any of the new maps for the switcher off GIAC's server right now and they are available?
      09-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #85
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post

The Stage 2 flash is $1000MSRP. Then, $150 if you want a switcher, and they will throw the Stock map in with the switcher as a freebie.

That equals $1,150.

More than Procede and JB?

Sure..but you didn't have to disassemble your car, tamper with the ECU, break some plastic parts potentially, mess up some wiring holders etc...etc..to get the power.

Worse case scenario, you have to have them flash the stocker back on the car and haul it to the dealer. $25 typically.

Does it have less features? Sure does compared to Procede Canbus and the new JB coming out.

I personally don't think it is practical with all the trips people make to the dealer with warranty/service issues to continually install/remove the piggybacks. The 1 time I installed the Procede I said to myself, yeah right..I can really see me on the side of the road with a HPFP issue and the car is dead carrying an 8mm socket and small screw driver around trying to put it back to stock in 94 deg heat and 80% humidity in my work clothes on the side of a busy highway...don't think so!

For some people a good tune with the ability to put it back to stock and go to the dealer is a good option with no tampering of anything but the OBD cover.

The dealer has no ability in house to determine if you have a flash on the DME. Only BMW does if they upload all the DME info to them.

If you think you have a major problem, flash the stock map back. Or, if you have a piggback, you have to remove the piggyback and put it back to stock and clear the codes. Either way, you aren't bringing the car in modded form if you like your warranty in tact.

Also, if the rumors are true that the DME stores tuner codes, such as overboost numbers etc...no matter what tune you have on your car, you will have your warranty voided if they upload the DME data.

So, if latter is the case, then it doesn't matter what flash/piggyback you run, it just depends on personal preference and your needs/goals.

GIAC and flashes in general offer another alternative to provide good power gains, with minimal effort and hassles. It might have less features, but many don't want or care about those features.

I can tell you this, when my warranty is getting close. I am going back to Procede, slapping some DPS/FMIC and other mod parts on the car and going to get crazy. But until that time, I'm going to stick to a more conservative simplistic approach to power gains personally.
      09-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #86
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
The Stage 2 flash is $1000MSRP. Then, $150 if you want a switcher, and they will throw the Stock map in with the switcher as a freebie.

That equals $1,150.

More than Procede and JB?

Sure..but you didn't have to disassemble your car, tamper with the ECU, break some plastic parts potentially, mess up some wiring holders etc...etc..to get the power.

Worse case scenario, you have to have them flash the stocker back on the car and haul it to the dealer. $25 typically.

Does it have less features? Sure does compared to Procede Canbus and the new JB coming out.

I personally don't think it is practical with all the trips people make to the dealer with warranty/service issues to continually install/remove the piggybacks. The 1 time I installed the Procede I said to myself, yeah right..I can really see me on the side of the road with a HPFP issue and the car is dead carrying an 8mm socket and small screw driver around trying to put it back to stock in 94 deg heat and 80% humidity in my work clothes on the side of a busy highway...don't think so!

For some people a good tune with the ability to put it back to stock and go to the dealer is a good option with no tampering of anything but the OBD cover.

The dealer has no ability in house to determine if you have a flash on the DME. Only BMW does if they upload all the DME info to them.

If you think you have a major problem, flash the stock map back. Or, if you have a piggback, you have to remove the piggyback and put it back to stock and clear the codes. Either way, you aren't bringing the car in modded form if you like your warranty in tact.

Also, if the rumors are true that the DME stores tuner codes, such as overboost numbers etc...no matter what tune you have on your car, you will have your warranty voided if they upload the DME data.

So, if latter is the case, then it doesn't matter what flash/piggyback you run, it just depends on personal preference and your needs/goals.

GIAC and flashes in general offer another alternative to provide good power gains, with minimal effort and hassles. It might have less features, but many don't want or care about those features.

I can tell you this, when my warranty is getting close. I am going back to Procede, slapping some DPS/FMIC and other mod parts on the car and going to get crazy. But until that time, I'm going to stick to a more conservative simplistic approach to power gains personally.
Your post is not convicing at all. Piggybacks are clearly more warranty-safe.

But I like GIAC for it's technical quality, not warranty reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #87
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Your post is not convicing at all. Piggybacks are clearly more warranty-safe.

But I like GIAC for it's technical quality, not warranty reasons.
Not according to BMW and they are the ones who can deny the warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #88
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Sure..but you didn't have to disassemble your car
lol at that statement..

I pictured the car stripped and in pieces when I read that. Never has taking the cowl off (5min job) been equated to disassembling the car

Mike
Appreciate 0