E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bimmerpost Interview with BMW Performance (Parts 1-4 online now)

03-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #111
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold fast sailor View Post
Remote start factory option
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) remote start is not even an option due to European laws about it being illegal to have the car running without someone in it? I don't know the details, but I think this was covered in a thread a while back.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #112
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) remote start is not even an option due to European laws about it being illegal to have the car running without someone in it? I don't know the details, but I think this was covered in a thread a while back.
That's probably why most of those systems are aftermarket, then.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #113
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I was at the Geneva Auto Show today and BMW told me there will be a BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Air Intake.
OP, can you please ask the interviewed person about this too ? Maybe it's not just a rumor
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #114
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
OP, can you please ask the interviewed person about this too ? Maybe it's not just a rumor
Absolutely will do.
Mods: (All OEM) | BMW Performance CF Splitters | BMW Blackline Taillights | BMW Rear Deck Spoiler | BMW Performance Auto Shift Knob and Alcantara Boot | BMW Black Dakota Leather Split Folding Armrest | BMW Euro Fog Light Switch | BMW Style 193M Wheels | BMW Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills | BMW Front Clear Bra | BMW Performance Steering Wheel (non-elec)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #115
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Some things for the E90 club that I would like to see available:

- A BBK that better fits the E9x (and not a repainted 135 brake kit)

- Pricing that would reflect a higher volume of sales (some prices are out of this world for marginally better than stock products.)

- A performance spare tire kit (since one is not offered via factory)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #116
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

to@vgame64: BMW Performance Intake not for 335i but for M3. But as you are interessted for 335i, if there will be, then only for N55 and not N54.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #117
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Getting the M Tech package from the get go and not having to wait for the LCI for it to be availible.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #118
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Question: What is BMW doing to increase awareness among dealers about the Performance line products?

I ask because I have been interested in many Performance products, including the Power Kit, but the dealers never seem to know anything about them. It would be nice if the dealers could provide concrete information re: roll out, costs, benefits, labor etc. for people (like me) that ask about the Performance products. For example, since many Performance products have a high price tag associated with them, I don't think it would be too much to ask to have a fact sheet to distribute to people interested in the product. I've asked several dealers, in different states, basic questions about Performance products and they never have the answers.

Thanks for representing e90Post!

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #119
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
Question: What is BMW doing to increase awareness among dealers about the Performance line products?

I ask because I have been interested in many Performance products, including the Power Kit, but the dealers never seem to know anything about them. It would be nice if the dealers could provide concrete information re: roll out, costs, benefits, labor etc. for people (like me) that ask about the Performance products. For example, since many Performance products have a high price tag associated with them, I don't think it would be too much to ask to have a fact sheet to distribute to people interested in the product. I've asked several dealers, in different states, basic questions about Performance products and they never have the answers.

Thanks for representing e90Post!
Great questions everybody. This should be one exciting interview!

I am working on a preliminary question list now and checking all of my video recording equipment.
Mods: (All OEM) | BMW Performance CF Splitters | BMW Blackline Taillights | BMW Rear Deck Spoiler | BMW Performance Auto Shift Knob and Alcantara Boot | BMW Black Dakota Leather Split Folding Armrest | BMW Euro Fog Light Switch | BMW Style 193M Wheels | BMW Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills | BMW Front Clear Bra | BMW Performance Steering Wheel (non-elec)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #120
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

+1

BMW performance upgrades are price wise more expensive and deliver less performance per dollar. Most people end up going with after market things because BMW does not offer the same performance per dollar. If BMW was to deliver the same performance per dollar most every buyer would consider them first. I think BMW does not realize that if they take this seriously there is a lot of money to be made out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspaceman View Post
I'd like to hear as to why wouldn't BMW compete in both pricing and performance with their BMW Performance upgrades, given the successes of so many aftermarket tuners. It seems to me that BMW would move more units if pricing and performance was in balance with its competitors. Does BMW realize that the people bolting this stuff on their cars are more interested in performance and less interested in warranty?

BMW has a unique opportunity in the tuning marketing. We drive the ultimate driving machines. Surely, we want the ultimate performance out of them.

I'm also curious as to when we will see a performance intake for the 335. As others have posted, the dynos don't lie.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #121
Z4@Phuket
Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [8.00]
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
Any plan for Z4 E89?

Waiting for performance parts for the new Z4
Recently I put the BMW performance brake in my Z4 (front only)
but the rear brake is mounted with electric handbrake. Can't do the upgrade yet.

Would like to see more performance parts for Z4
Thanks
      03-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #122
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4@Phuket View Post
Waiting for performance parts for the new Z4
Recently I put the BMW performance brake in my Z4 (front only)
but the rear brake is mounted with electric handbrake. Can't do the upgrade yet.

Would like to see more performance parts for Z4
Thanks
I hope with the Z4 sDrive35is, more parts trickle their way to the BMW Performance line.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #123
DBerg
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i BlkSap/Ter,MT,SP,PP,CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Why cant the cars be ordered from the factory with the Performance parts rather than customers having to pay twice ie: They already have the wheels that came with the car but if they want the Performance wheels then they will have paid for 2 sets from BMW. Same with steering wheel, bumpers, suspension etc.

Let us order it from the factory!
I agree with this logic - why pay twice? This is a must-ask question! (I suspect that the answer will relate to the high cost of too many buildable combinations, but BMW could have a mod-center where these upgrades are completed, and hopefully reuse the removed parts (if the mod center is in the ass'y. plant. I'm sure they can figure it out.)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #124
Nescio
Rep
Drives: 1996 318ti

The M cloth/alacantara seats for the 335is would be wonderful!
Leather/leatherette is too hot and cold and slippery.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #125
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigolas View Post
Will BMW Performance bring out some performance kits for diesels? chiptuning, intercooler.. ?

Will the Performance seats be available in different colors?
they already did. In Europe the information is already available. There is a "Power Kit" for the 320d. (not sure you have this one in the States though). It included an upgraded torqueconverter for automatics.
+15KW and +40Nm.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #126
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nescio View Post
The M cloth/alacantara seats for the 335is would be wonderful!
Leather/leatherette is too hot and cold and slippery.
The performance seats would be perfect...but crash testing would be too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #127
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
The performance seats would be perfect...but crash testing would be too expensive.
The alcantara/cloth surfacing is available in Euro on the regular sport seats. That is what we are requesting. It would not be a performance division issue though, just a normal ordering option, maybe via Individual.

There are a lot of Qs being asked here that are not in the purview of BMW Perf Div. Maybe Eric can pass on some of these Qs to the appropriate sections.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #128
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
The alcantara/cloth surfacing is available in Euro on the regular sport seats. That is what we are requesting. It would not be a performance division issue though, just a normal ordering option, maybe via Individual.

There are a lot of Qs being asked here that are not in the purview of BMW Perf Div. Maybe Eric can pass on some of these Qs to the appropriate sections.
Ah I see. OK, I will keep all the non-perf related questions aside and see if he can help find answers to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #129
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Why cant the cars be ordered from the factory with the Performance parts rather than customers having to pay twice ie: They already have the wheels that came with the car but if they want the Performance wheels then they will have paid for 2 sets from BMW. Same with steering wheel, bumpers, suspension etc.

Let us order it from the factory!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBerg View Post
I agree with this logic - why pay twice? This is a must-ask question! (I suspect that the answer will relate to the high cost of too many buildable combinations, but BMW could have a mod-center where these upgrades are completed, and hopefully reuse the removed parts (if the mod center is in the ass'y. plant. I'm sure they can figure it out.)
This is a great question. I think BMW would make a killing on having a "mod-center" or mod-division. It would also be a huge differentiator for them and I'll be it would increase sales. Harley Davidson is the same way - but even worse. When you buy a Harley you typically end up throwing away 75% of the parts to replace them with mods....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #130
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
This is a great question. I think BMW would make a killing on having a "mod-center" or mod-division. It would also be a huge differentiator for them and I'll be it would increase sales. Harley Davidson is the same way - but even worse. When you buy a Harley you typically end up throwing away 75% of the parts to replace them with mods....
I will have the final list of questions ready tonight.

Nasty storm knocked out the power here during the day.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #131
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Original post edited with questions/topics to be discussed.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #132
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

The N54/N55's are pretty much Frankenstein on wheels with all the swapped bits and pieces- aftermarket style. Keeping the upgrades in line with BMW will preserve what they are about.
For an extra 100Hp, LSD, and a real suspension by BMW Pparts, would anyone give up 1 year of warranty? or the option of obtaining an extended warranty?
I ask it this way because the motors/cars are already built and they weren't designed with the intent of such mods, regardless that they're obviously capable of it.

How can we sell BMW on the idea that we want much better performance products? You can ask away on the questions, but try to sell them the idea as well. They should take a poll.

Last edited by BBBluey; 03-14-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0