E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Friend says he will never buy bmw because of my 328i

05-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #67
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT81 View Post
See, I disagree. I have a bare bones 335xi. Only options are the Sport Package (the only non-negotiable for me) and Park Distance Control. I feel like my car is pretty well-equipped. Sure I don't have a lot of options but its got what I need. Xenons, nice cruise control, power seats, sunroof, auxiliary audio input, very good stock 10-speaker stereo, heated seats, headlight washers, folding rear seats.

The Canadian 335s come better equipped than their US counterparts I think. Maybe if I had a base 328, it'd be different.
That's not barebones
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #68
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
the only reason I came to BMW is for the performance and handling. luxury was not a concern, the less luxury and more performance is better
Then the fact that you bought a BMW at all makes no sense at all. Why didn't you just get a used Viper or Z06 vette?? Gobs of performace and ZERO luxury. And a lot easier and cheaper to give it more performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #69
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Then the fact that you bought a BMW at all makes no sense at all. Why didn't you just get a used Viper or Z06 vette?? Gobs of performace and ZERO luxury. And a lot easier and cheaper to give it more performance.
Was going to say the same thing
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #70
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Gas guzzlers? I am talking about as a DD not a weekend warrior.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #71
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Gas guzzlers? I am talking about as a DD not a weekend warrior.
Corvette doesn't use more gas than a 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #72
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

I have a barebones 08 328i. At the time of getting this car, it was either this or a Kia Optima with bells and whistles. Now I tell you yes I am pissed I didnt get the BT or Sat Radio like the dealer said was there (kia). But I test drove them once and the result is I am here on this forum.

There are certain features that are standard on BMW that are not that of a Kia honda whatever... For Instance does your friend recognize dual zone climate control as standard? How about Fog lights? Sun roof? Leather seats? (I have not to this day seen a BMW with cloth seats) Why I got this car? Because I love driving. Handling, performance oh I had to image me pulling up anywhere in a BMW over a kia you get the drift. Like everyone said though your friend likes the other things beside what the car was made for; driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #73
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
With that attitude they would still have non power windows as standard.. after so many years somethings just need to be standard
Sure, things that a large majority of buyers would order should be standard, but the things that you've listed are not necessarily things that everyone is willing to pay for. For example, I did not want a nav system or bluetooth. Should I be required to pay an extra $2500 for it? If I lived in Florida, should I be required to pay for the cold weather package?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #74
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
Corvette doesn't use more gas than a 335i
....didn't know that, but still, I personally don't like American made cars I love my German and Japanese performance cars
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #75
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

All I say to people when they ask why I don't have things like power seats is this "BMW was ahead of the curve in 2007, try getting a car then with standard cool features like the rain sensing wipers, hot and cold cup holder, etc" or "Yes, your toyota might have bluetooth/nav/ipod standard but my BMW is sporty, fun to drive, and If i wanted that stuff I could have gotten it"

point being people that want to hate on the brand always use the lack of standard features.

All I know is that my car starts, and I'm happy when I get in it in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #76
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
I have a barebones 08 328i. At the time of getting this car, it was either this or a Kia Optima with bells and whistles. Now I tell you yes I am pissed I didnt get the BT or Sat Radio like the dealer said was there (kia). But I test drove them once and the result is I am here on this forum.

There are certain features that are standard on BMW that are not that of a Kia honda whatever... For Instance does your friend recognize dual zone climate control as standard? How about Fog lights? Sun roof? Leather seats? (I have not to this day seen a BMW with cloth seats) Why I got this car? Because I love driving. Handling, performance oh I had to image me pulling up anywhere in a BMW over a kia you get the drift. Like everyone said though your friend likes the other things beside what the car was made for; driving.
Leather seats are not standard in BMW and sunroofs are no longer standard btw.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #77
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick603 View Post
Sure, things that a large majority of buyers would order should be standard, but the things that you've listed are not necessarily things that everyone is willing to pay for. For example, I did not want a nav system or bluetooth. Should I be required to pay an extra $2500 for it? If I lived in Florida, should I be required to pay for the cold weather package?
2500 is the horrible rip off BMW is charging you. Lets not pretend this is pre 2000's where bluetooth and touchscreens cost a ton. They now cost almost nothing to add to a car. Also, bluetooth has been around almost 20 years. GPS nav I think is another staple technology. Nothing that anyone should consider fancy anymore
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #78
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 N51

Not many know about this alternative to stream music via bluetooth which I always found annoying since bluetooth with the premium package only makes calls. There's also other ones which allow you to make calls if you don't have it already built in.

http://www.amazon.com/Technologies-T.../dp/B004GJURHM
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #79
90rr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie
I for one am a fan of a la carte. Yes options get expensive but I'd much rather have the choice of various options than forcing car companies forcing me to get a bunch of stuff that isn't important to me in a big expensive options package.
right on!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #80
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Quote:
It's just rather pathetic that Kia can figure out options like Ventilated Seats for an entry level SUV of 40k$, but brands like RR or BMW need to charge you an extra 10-20K for some stupid option package that includes the one option you want. It's just a way to milk people that feel the need for a luxury vehicle.
Hey is a Kia has something for you then you can probably buy 2 or 3 or what your BMW is worth .
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #81
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Will all the fancy features in a Kia still be working 5 years from now?

Not all features are created equal. BMW leather wears way better than most. BMW bluetooth works/sounds better than any system I've seen. I could go on and on.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #82
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
I agree with that but just because other companies are making it a standard doesn't mean BMW should also, I mean it would be nice but some of us just love our cars for what it is. People now a days are caught up with the hype of all this technology in cars so it makes them think they need it when they really don't.

I drive my car to drive, I don't live in it so I don't need all those packages and yes depending on the 5 series model it's almost basically the same as the 3 series.
IMO few things should be standard.
Example: Premium sound system, navigation and couple of other things.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #83
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
It's just rather pathetic that Kia can figure out options like Ventilated Seats for an entry level SUV of 40k$, but brands like RR or BMW need to charge you an extra 10-20K for some stupid option package that includes the one option you want. It's just a way to milk people that feel the need for a luxury vehicle.
You said it!!! I agree BMW is a BMW and Kia is a Kia there both great in there own way...

But if one brand rapes you for an option that probaly cost them next to nothing to add it should make you wonder.

Now dont go thinking the option on the other car is inferior, perfect example...

HID Headlights ( Standard on every Acura sold / Infiniti / Lexus )

Last time I check when people retro fit HID's in cars the TSX / S2k projectors
are pretty much the benchmark / best option out there.

Dont think because BMW didnt include them it made the price go any lower or that the HID's on the X model is an inferior quality part being used.

I agree bells and whistles are not why we drive BMW's but gouging is gouging. They built the brand and they deserve to charge what they want
and I agree with that but dont try to justify that its right.

The germans materials / fit & finish & refinement is where they shine. Dont confuse that with reliability or horsepower.

With the newer models like the F30 ( 4 Cylinder turbo ) you see big diff in what weve grown use to in a BMW that silky smooth INLINE 6..
The new ones are a step down..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #84
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
You said it!!! I agree BMW is a BMW and Kia is a Kia there both great in there own way...

But if one brand rapes you for an option that probaly cost them next to nothing to add it should make you wonder.

Now dont go thinking the option on the other car is inferior, perfect example...

HID Headlights ( Standard on every Acura sold / Infiniti / Lexus )

Last time I check when people retro fit HID's in cars the TSX / S2k projectors
are pretty much the benchmark / best option out there.

Dont think because BMW didnt include them it made the price go any lower or that the HID's on the X model is an inferior quality part being used.

I agree bells and whistles are not why we drive BMW's but gouging is gouging. They built the brand and they deserve to charge what they want
and I agree with that but dont try to justify that its right.

The germans materials / fit & finish & refinement is where they shine. Dont confuse that with reliability or horsepower.

With the newer models like the F30 ( 4 Cylinder turbo ) you see big diff in what weve grown use to in a BMW that silky smooth INLINE 6..

The new ones are a step down..

This this this.. and all the crap about Kia not working in 5 years. They will prob work longer than a BMW and if they break at least its cheap to fix. Also I think an insult like I said is BMW is putting some of these options almost fully or fully there then not giving you the option without paying for an unlock code.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #85
avol3xo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
This is hilarious and the whole point of branding. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you build your reputation to the point that you can charge for certain things and people will pay for it then why not?

Let's look at it the reverse way, if BMW fully equipped all their cars then almost all 3-series would have a starting price around $50k. Ever think that BMW doesnt fully equip all cars so that more people can afford them and so you can equip your "luxury" car exactly the way you want to? The saying goes you have to pay to play and if you want to play with BMW you've got to pay for it. Mercedes is the same way. I agree some things could come standard but there will still be people out there who just don't want those options and would be willing to pay more probably to not have navi/sunroof/bluetooth, etc. For those of you that want all that, you can pay BMW for it or go to another brand, it's that simple. We can sit here and argue about it all day and night but I guarantee BMW will still make their money and sleep well at night.
      05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #86
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Why would you not want nav sunroof and bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #87
BMWseeker
Private
Rep
Drives: none

honestly, just add money to get the non-standard, in US cars are as cheap as ****, and you can lease. why get the standard model?

And, no wonder the standard is cheap, for a price of a 328 in US, one can only get a 320 elsewhere
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #88
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avol3xo View Post
This is hilarious and the whole point of branding. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you build your reputation to the point that you can charge for certain things and people will pay for it then why not?

Let's look at it the reverse way, if BMW fully equipped all their cars then almost all 3-series would have a starting price around $50k.
Why would the starting price be 50k to get options? If brand "y" can add the option for $10 why cant BMW and vice versa?
Makes no sense that you think they would have to charge a ton more to include a few options.

If its a $10 part for Kia it should be a $10 part for BMW esp if its a part that comes from the same mfr in the background.
( nav units / headlight assy's / transmissions etc etc )

Either way in the end they can charge what they want they are BWM and just like the phone analogies to Apple.. These are luxury
brands that don't cater to the budget conscious person they cater to the higher end market so I get it just dont try to justify why they have to do it.

They do it cause they can! And rightfully so they built the brand but the consumers are getting shafted the softer BMW becomes and less and less of
what built that brand image is still included in a BMW.. ie cost cutting.
Appreciate 0