E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Do you crate your dog?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #23
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
9536
Rep
13,927
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
My dog is unfortunately ending up being crated for several hours while I'm at work. This has become a recent issue with the fact that my ex is now working full time as well. I try to get home during lunch to let her out but sometimes I can't and she ends up in there for as much as 8 hours straight. If I let her have free reign of the house she will chew the crap out of anything she can get her teeth on. Anyone else crate their dog for extended periods? It can't be good for her.
My long standing view in this is that everyone who crates their pets should be burned. I still stand by that with all other animals than dogs.

Dogs in some weird way enjoy having their own space that way, and 98% of dogs are not dominant enough to make it on their own in big spaces when they're young. They clearly enjoy crates and its us people who see it as wrong too easily.

None of my dogs have been in one if not for flying but the idea is the same as with me giving them all their own spots in the house where they're always left in peace.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Do you believe in Lups?

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God -- and the only thing that scares me is Lups.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #24
wrickem
evilly amused
wrickem's Avatar
543
Rep
2,727
Posts

Drives: what he wants to
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: lambertville nj

iTrader: (0)

This is the first dog that we've crate trained, and it was for his own safety. This cute little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was THE worst puppy we've ever had and LOVED to chew electrical cords and anything else he could get his teeth on. He was never locked in it when we were home though, but we kept a close eye on him

After about 2 years when he out grew his puppyness we started giving him "room access" (confined to one safe room) when we weren't home.

After 5, he got full run of the house because he turned out to be good dog. When we come home, he's usually hanging out in his crate.

I don't feel one bit bad because he would have "passed himself away" by now and he loves his "safe spot"
Attached Images
 
__________________
______________________________________________
'16 435 x-drive coupe, '14 528x-drive, '07 M6 (I am a sequential BMW hoarder) '17 Jeep Wrangler, '07 Carrera S

Last edited by wrickem; 12-12-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM42613.00

      12-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #25
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
ShopVac's Avatar
650
Rep
922
Posts

Drives: '08 335xi cpe - aero kit, 6MT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I crate my white German Shepherd at night only...just because she looks out the window and barks at the deer. She has free reign with my black German Shepherd during the day...neither are destructive.

Agree with the past comment about neighbor kids, etc. I've asked my neighbor to let them out on a few different occasions.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #26
CTinline-six
Winning
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
1032
Rep
915
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '00 Jeep XJ
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My dog (border collie) only has a crate for when he is bad, which isn't very often anymore. In fact the crate is now full of his toys since it never gets used. We have the luxury of a 2 acre backyard though. He has an electric fence, and basically sleeps on the back deck all day or plays with his toys until we come home if it is a nice day. If it is cold or bad weather he stays inside the house. He is also inside at night.

The electric fence I wasn't really a fan of at first, but it's awesome. He has only been zapped once, on the first day, and now he recognizes the beeping from the collar before he is even close enough to the barrier to get zapped.
__________________
Josh
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
4257
Rep
5,314
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Crate for our smaller version of yours. She gets the door closed at night, and I throw a blanket or my robe over it. She knows to make just a subtle little cough/bark and I will take her outside.

When wife and I leave at 6, she goes into my son's room until the crack of noon, then she hops back in her crate, door open. The bedroom door is closed, and she has access to water. All floors are hard, either tile or wood. She sometimes does have to use the bath mat if we are gone too long.

When she was chewing the floorboards, wife put habanero on everything. I thought that was extreme, but she only had to apply it once.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
cxp213
@cxp213 - track junkie
cxp213's Avatar
232
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Not trying to offend anyone, but if you're having to stress out anyone (animal or human) for extended periods of time everyday by locking them up, you need to make some changes in your life. Whether that's in the form of finding a sitter, retraining, giving them a better place to live, etc is I'm sure case-dependent, but nobody deserves or should have to be confined to a tiny space.
Appreciate 1
Lups9536.00

      12-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #29
Real Dodger
Texan
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
1791
Rep
2,240
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Frisco

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
My dog (border collie) only has a crate for when he is bad, which isn't very often anymore. In fact the crate is now full of his toys since it never gets used. We have the luxury of a 2 acre backyard though. He has an electric fence, and basically sleeps on the back deck all day or plays with his toys until we come home if it is a nice day. If it is cold or bad weather he stays inside the house. He is also inside at night.

The electric fence I wasn't really a fan of at first, but it's awesome. He has only been zapped once, on the first day, and now he recognizes the beeping from the collar before he is even close enough to the barrier to get zapped.
My collie doesn't even need a fence, whether its wood or electric. If he gets left out, he runs to the front and barks till we let him in. He's only crated at night (he moves around too much on our hardwood floors and jumps on our bed at 3am) or when there is a thunderstorm.
__________________
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #30
EdM5
Lieutenant Colonel
EdM5's Avatar
Netherlands
274
Rep
1,629
Posts

Drives: F82 M4 CP & E70 X5 Xdrive35d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Is she a Labradoodle?
__________________
2004 e87 118d (ret.), 2007 e92 330d (ret.), 2007 e87 130i M-sport (ret.), 2009 e92 M3 (ret.), 2010 f10 535d M-sport (ret.), 2015 f10 M5 CP (ret.)
2017 f82 M4 CP & 2009 e70 X5 35d
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #31
upstatedoc
pew pew
upstatedoc's Avatar
803
Rep
1,870
Posts

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crisp, Baconia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Not trying to offend anyone, but if you're having to stress out anyone (animal or human) for extended periods of time everyday by locking them up, you need to make some changes in your life. Whether that's in the form of finding a sitter, retraining, giving them a better place to live, etc is I'm sure case-dependent, but nobody deserves or should have to be confined to a tiny space.
i'm working on a sitter, i agree, i dont want her in the crate for that long

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5 View Post
Is she a Labradoodle?
goldendoodle
__________________
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2013 E70 N57
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I was thinking of foaming that hole as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #32
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
9536
Rep
13,927
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
i'm working on a sitter, i agree, i dont want her in the crate for that long



goldendoodle
I have a gs, and an idiot (jack Russell). Mine are not in crates, but they are in their designated places for about 13 hours per day.

They are playing outside for about 4 hours per day in the woods walking, but in the house i have a strict policy of no contact with them. As much as we can, we humans ignore them in the house. Try making more of your time outside time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Do you believe in Lups?

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God -- and the only thing that scares me is Lups.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #33
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
1365
Rep
9,651
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

We have 2 small dogs at home and no crates. They’re free to roam in a section of the home during the day. In the early morning we let them outside to do their duties and leave them inside the rest of the day.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #34
RickFLM4
Colonel
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
2613
Rep
2,863
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

When puppies we wouldn't leave them in a crate for more than a few hours. One was fine with the crate. The other screamed like she was being tortured so we always let her out (first sign she was in control). We never had a problem with them being destructive so once they learned to do their business outdoors, they had pretty free range and we got rid of the crate. If we went out for a while, we would put gates up to limit their range. (Sadly one now gone and the other difficult to leave alone for any extended period of time due to age / physical conditions.)

Try to invest the energy in training to stop the destructive behavior and, km the meantime, sitter is better than crate all day.
__________________
2015 Sakhir Orange M4 Coupe, DCT, CCB, Adaptive Suspension, 19" black wheels, Exec/DA+/LED Lighting pkg, SO / Black full leather, CF trim, CF roof, HK Sound, SunTek PPF, Spectra Photsync 35%
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #35
qba335i
Second Lieutenant
112
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

You should take the time and train your dog properly so he can be in the house without doing any damage.

I had 2 dogs (Rottweiler and Amstaff) and both were able to walk around the house. I am against putting a dog for a few hours in the crate.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #36
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private
134
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: 2012 535ix
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: I'm here bc I'm not all there

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
I don't see why I need to lock up a dog when with proper training, they should be able to roam around at home freely without any harm to self or its environment.

Fortunately, my dog is very docile and doesn't do any kind of damage. I just lay out a pee pad for her to use when I'm gone for extended period of time (she usually just holds until I come home but I also come back for lunch everyday).
They aren't robots. Every dog has its own ticks/issues/etc. Plenty of reason to crate train. You have company over that doesn't like dogs. They sleep on your stuff when you're gone. They tear shit up. All kinds of reason. When I started working from home, my pits would be out all the time. I had a camera setup in my movie room. My male pit would lay on the back cushions of the couch as soon as I would leave. When he heard my car pull up, he'd jump off and lay on the ground like he was good the entire time. Smart dogs will do these kinds of things. Remy had people eyes....and a huge vocabulary...No amount of correction, training, spanks, or scolding would deter him. He was very head strong and does what he wants to a degree.

I remember Thanksgiving one year....the turkey was on the table...everyone got one round. I was headed to the garage and I told my brother in laws...watch remy....he's been eyeing that turkey. I didn't make it 5 steps with my back turned and he was on a chair going to town on the turkey. I turned around and started yelling at the brother in laws....like dude...not 5 seconds ago I said watch him....now the turkey is fucked. WTG.

These types of behaviors you just have to recognize and be creative with. Especially in strong headed breeds.
__________________
2012 F10 535ix - JB4 - Muffler Delete - Burnt titanium tips - coded modules - CF front lip - CF rear diffuser - clear bra
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #37
DSB335d
Captain
1270
Rep
699
Posts

Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West palm beach

iTrader: (0)

We used to keep ours in a children's play pen.
I came home from work and found our shih-poo had an eyeball hanging from his eye socket. Pretty gruesome sight to see; he's white and his face and body had blood all over. Our rotti-pit mix and him must've been playing rough while I was at work. Vet said shih tzu can have a common injury called eye proptosis. It's been years since that happened, due to nerve damage he cannot see out of that eye; fortunately we didn't have to have it removed. We never leave them alone, and when we aren't home one or the other are in their crate.

Say what you want about using crates but I'll never go through that again nor the expensive emergency vet bill.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #38
cxp213
@cxp213 - track junkie
cxp213's Avatar
232
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
They aren't robots. Every dog has its own ticks/issues/etc. Plenty of reason to crate train. You have company over that doesn't like dogs. They sleep on your stuff when you're gone. They tear shit up. All kinds of reason. When I started working from home, my pits would be out all the time. I had a camera setup in my movie room. My male pit would lay on the back cushions of the couch as soon as I would leave. When he heard my car pull up, he'd jump off and lay on the ground like he was good the entire time. Smart dogs will do these kinds of things. Remy had people eyes....and a huge vocabulary...No amount of correction, training, spanks, or scolding would deter him. He was very head strong and does what he wants to a degree.

I remember Thanksgiving one year....the turkey was on the table...everyone got one round. I was headed to the garage and I told my brother in laws...watch remy....he's been eyeing that turkey. I didn't make it 5 steps with my back turned and he was on a chair going to town on the turkey. I turned around and started yelling at the brother in laws....like dude...not 5 seconds ago I said watch him....now the turkey is fucked. WTG.

These types of behaviors you just have to recognize and be creative with. Especially in strong headed breeds.
Right, training them to be accepting of their crate for whatever reasons you stated is fine. Leaving them in their for extended period of time everyday is NOT. You don't confine them in a tiny metal frame because they're strong-headed or difficult to train, and you don't want to invest the time/effort required for success. Dogs are intelligent enough to be redirected and trained to be "better behaved," or at least relocated (if not the pet, then the objects you're trying to protect) to prevent whatever it is you're trying to prevent. I get that some dogs are cunning and that's fine, but that's not a good enough reason to shove them in a box for hours. Extended confinement is a form of punishment. You're also not providing them "safe place" despite what you want to believe, but merely placing them there for your convenience. Keep making excuses but inhumane is still inhumane. BTW, I didn't know creative = putting them in a crate.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #39
glennQNYC
Colonel
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
933
Rep
2,345
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.83]
A high-profile professional athlete just asked us to build some dog pens in his garage...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #40
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private
134
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: 2012 535ix
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: I'm here bc I'm not all there

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Right, training them to be accepting of their crate for whatever reasons you stated is fine. Leaving them in their for extended period of time everyday is NOT. You don't confine them in a tiny metal frame because they're strong-headed or difficult to train, and you don't want to invest the time/effort required for success. Dogs are intelligent enough to be redirected and trained to be "better behaved," or at least relocated (if not the pet, then the objects you're trying to protect) to prevent whatever it is you're trying to prevent. I get that some dogs are cunning and that's fine, but that's not a good enough reason to shove them in a box for hours. Extended confinement is a form of punishment. You're also not providing them "safe place" despite what you want to believe, but merely placing them there for your convenience. Keep making excuses but inhumane is still inhumane. BTW, I didn't know creative = putting them in a crate.
Inhuman? STFU. My dogs loved their crate. Even slept in with the door wide open. I have many breeds growing up. Weiner dogs, dobbies, great danes, pits, Rotties. All trained well. All high vocabulary....I couldn't even spell words because they knew what I was saying. Spoiled fucking rotten.

Better call the local authorities for all these ppl posting about crate training their dog and have us all arrest....yea, won't happen. Take your judgmental ass somewhere else.
__________________
2012 F10 535ix - JB4 - Muffler Delete - Burnt titanium tips - coded modules - CF front lip - CF rear diffuser - clear bra
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #41
Real Dodger
Texan
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
1791
Rep
2,240
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Frisco

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
A high-profile professional athlete just asked us to build some dog pens in his garage...
I hope its not Michael Vick.
__________________
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #42
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private
134
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: 2012 535ix
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: I'm here bc I'm not all there

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
You're also not providing them "safe place" despite what you want to believe, but merely placing them there for your convenience. Keep making excuses but inhumane is still inhumane. BTW, I didn't know creative = putting them in a crate.
My dog was shot in the head by the thieves that robbed my house while I went to go eat with my cousin. Had he been in the kennel....he would be fine....Now what were you saying about safety? STFU.
__________________
2012 F10 535ix - JB4 - Muffler Delete - Burnt titanium tips - coded modules - CF front lip - CF rear diffuser - clear bra
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #43
Alfisti
Captain
527
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'll never understand dogs in a house, well bigger dogs anyway. We always had two so they could keep each other company and they never stepped foot inside.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #44
cxp213
@cxp213 - track junkie
cxp213's Avatar
232
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

BuiltnBoostedZ - Telling people to STFU to sharing their opinion on a public forum. You sound like a fucking child, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
Inhuman? STFU. My dogs loved their crate. Even slept in with the door wide open. I have many breeds growing up. Weiner dogs, dobbies, great danes, pits, Rotties. All trained well. All high vocabulary....I couldn't even spell words because they knew what I was saying. Spoiled fucking rotten.

Better call the local authorities for all these ppl posting about crate training their dog and have us all arrest....yea, won't happen. Take your judgmental ass somewhere else.
Considering human children have difficulty comprehending language, particularly when you spell out a word, I'm surprised you had some sort of genius canines. What else could they do?

BTW, them choosing to be in the crate themselves while you're around is very different from being shoved in there because you're vacating the premises. If you don't get the difference, your lack of intelligence isn't my problem and I refuse to draw that out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
My dog was shot in the head by the thieves that robbed my house while I went to go eat with my cousin. Had he been in the kennel....he would be fine....Now what were you saying about safety? STFU.
Sorry your dog was shot, but I didn't know kennels were bulletproof and guaranteed your thieves would've left them alone. Great logic.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST