E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > E92 335i intro

11-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

E92 335i intro

It took me a little while but I finally found myself a ‘07 manual E92 335i a few weeks back. Saphire Black w/ Black and brushed alu trim, totally untouched and only 51k kms with FBMWSH. The only obvious options are the front BMW aero lip extension and rear bar. A pre-owned 335i is near impossible to find in any numbers here in Canberra; this one came from Sydney.

The first job after getting it home was part of a weekend attending to the paint: clay, 3 step polish and wax. The polishing steps made easier with a DAS-6 random orbital machine, Festool pads and Menzerna compounds. All then topped with Dodo Juice Purple Haze.

I have in store a few aesthetic and mechanical/tuning mods, most of which most guys on here have. I have been hitting up Stuart at BMR Autowerkes with a heap of questions and gathered useful info from him.

The one that has me stumped are downpipes. To get to the point, I am leaning towards a set of AR catless DPs after good reports from the US and locally. One thing that is a question mark for me is whether anyone here has experienced the “bad smell” I have seen mentioned in the US. I assume this is sulphur dioxide (rotten-egg gas) coming from the exhaust because of the deleted primary cats.

It surprises me to hear that as I would have thought that keeping the secondaries should prevent this. Has anyone experienced this or have any views please?
Attached Images

Last edited by JJH; 07-03-2017 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

welcome and great choice, I still wish I had black

as for the DP's you'll be fine, never had an issue or heard of anyone with an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP

welcome mate - nice ride - love black just to lazy to keep a black car clean

In regards to Dp's , i have AR Design on my car and have never had any smell whatsover
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

welcome JJH car look great. nice find with low ks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
welcome mate.

you can't really smell a difference tbh, but if you are really concerned i'd recommend coming up to a syd meet and sniff around... no pun intended
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Rob32R
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 530i/VW R32/E70 X5

Welcome aboard e90post mate. Congratulations on the purchase.

Nice neat example in the best colour, enjoy in good health. I'm a massive fan of the Aero kit so I will be watching this build thread closely if you choose to stick more photos in.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Nice ride dude, my previous car was black and going to space grey is fantastic in terms of maintaining a streak free finish!

Regarding the sulphur scent, I believe the mid pipe cats still function quite well and it seems once you delete these from the system also this is when guys start experiencing the odour.

What are your plans so far for your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hey mate, Looks good! I'm a fan of the ACT Euro plates too!

I just got a set of AR's put in yesterday (shoot me a PM if you want to know who installed them, along with a set of coilovers locally in Canberra) and so far there's no smell at all. Although I am a little concerned about just how loud the spool sound is when only fethering the pedal.

One more 335i in Canberra to look out for!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys for the comments and the great welcome. Appreciate the responses related to the DP question I had read about – perhaps a sign of just too much information out there! In retrospect, perhaps the issue is a result of some people not running any cats at all. I’m certainly intending to keep the secondaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootah View Post
welcome mate - nice ride - love black just to lazy to keep a black car clean
Yeah mate, black has its issues and is going to be a challenge. But I have been there before with a Diamond Black met E36 328i Individual and other dark cars anyway. The plus is that it is a weekend toy and remains under a cover in a garage all other times. That should ease the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
What are your plans so far for your car?
I’m starting with the tune first and am going with the Cobb AP simply because of the ease of install, seems to give good gains and I guess the flexibility it appears to have. That will be followed by the AR Design DPs, cat-back exhaust and aFe Stage 2 intake.

The cat-back system is where I may differ from most as I am a huge Supersprint fan having had them on my last two cars – just love their sound and the quality is top notch. Although the BMW PE seems to be in favour and I need to check them out before making the final call.

In amongst that will be a short shift kit, M3 steering wheel and M3 rear lip spoiler – pretty standard fare there. I find the manual shift throw just awful after being so used to running short shifts in my E36 and E46 M3s. It is a toss-up between the BMW PE kit and UUC Evo 3 (which I had previously). Thing is, the PE kit includes the PE knob and alcantara boot that I prefer not to have.

Then lastly swap out the RFTs and the wheels - though they are more than fine for now.

Cheers,
Jon
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Welcome mate! Nice looking car and good thing it already came with the aerolip and rear bumper too.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

If you make a conscious effort to stick your nose up your exhaust pipe with catless downpipes then yeh, maybe you'll notice a different smell... let us know how that goes

in the meantime, for everyday driving, you won't notice any different smells.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
I definately notice that it smells less clean.
Especially with the top down.
It tends to smell like an older pre emission car, if you are old enough to remember
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
keungleung
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i msport

nice purchase!

i test drove that car at the dealer since i'm in the market for one and in the mist of still deciding if i wanted a manual (which i do but my fiancee won't be able to drive), it got sold to YOU!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #14
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keungleung View Post
nice purchase!

i test drove that car at the dealer since i'm in the market for one and in the mist of still deciding if i wanted a manual (which i do but my fiancee won't be able to drive), it got sold to YOU!
So sorry man; I guess if there is one rule I operate under is being sure you are ready to jump when the right one comes along! And I did it from another city ...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH_335 View Post
The cat-back system is where I may differ from most as I am a huge Supersprint fan having had them on my last two cars – just love their sound and the quality is top notch. Although the BMW PE seems to be in favour and I need to check them out before making the final call.
I have only heard sound clips of the supersprint and it sounded very similar to oem imo, but having said that clips are very difficult to determine the exhaust note as it can differ in person.

Before laying out $2K+ for a full SS system with midpipes I need more convincing! The best exhaust note I have heard thus far on the N54 is the meisterschaft GT system, but its LOUD!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Well, I think I've had my fill of loud exhausts just for the sake of it! That is why I have steered away from things like the Eissenmann and Supersprint 'Race' versions.

I don't feel sound clips on YouTube ever capture the true exhaust note of most cars - impossible with poor built-in mics on the camcorders. From my experience with Supersprint on both E36 M3 and E46 M3s, the systems took the cars from just having an unexciting note on the E36 and a raspy note on the E46 to a very deep, distinctive and 'sporty' note WITHOUT being offensively loud. And no drone or anything like that. In both cases, I mostly gave up the sound system and just had the roof open and windows down practically all the time! Whether it's the same with the N54, I guess I'll find out when I get there!

Put it this way - a note that would make you turn around and look because it sounded great rather than have the car pass by unnoticed ...

But in the end, what is a great exhaust note for one person is not to another!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #17
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I have only heard sound clips of the supersprint and it sounded very similar to oem imo, but having said that clips are very difficult to determine the exhaust note as it can differ in person.

Before laying out $2K+ for a full SS system with midpipes I need more convincing! The best exhaust note I have heard thus far on the N54 is the meisterschaft GT system, but its LOUD!
Hey Shane, I believe someone is selling their super sprint exhaust on eBay now ! 6 days to go! He had it on for 7000km but selling it now, dunno why. Ad I think from memory he is selling 1500aud from Victoria.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #18
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Long time due - an update

It's been a while but the main reason is I have been so enjoying the drive since deciding to go with a Cobb AccessPort tune, courtesy of a well timed purchase when it was on sale at BMR Autowerkes. What a difference that has made - and I am only talking Stage 1; the car is a different beast now. I guess that is where the biggest gain happens in terms of kW atw, at least for what I have planned.

A couple of other worthwhile mods includes a UUC Motorwerks Evo III SSK. That is one nice piece of kit, making the shift even shorter and sweeter - just a simple snick-snick through the gears. I'm a big fan of this product. That is topped off by a genuine BMW ZHP style short and weighted gear knob which adds to the great new feel of the manual gearchange. Also received and ready to fit is a new M3 steering wheel and cover.

I am going down the path of an upgraded intercooler, charge pipe and down pipes. The first to arrive were a set of AR Design dps along with an aFe Stage 2+ Pro5R dual cone intake kit.

It has been fun gathering the bits and pieces. Getting them installed is hopefully a short time away.
Attached Images

Last edited by JJH; 07-03-2017 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #19
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

nice mods dude! Everyone who drives my car loves the meaty m3 tiller it feels extremely good to drive with and enhances the steering feel driving experience somewhat imo.

How did you go with the ssk install? That's one mod I'm yet to do and I have only baulked as I have heard that it makes shifting more difficult and tbh I would prefer a shift that is easier and more precise considering my car spends 99% of the time toodling about.

You will notice a big difference with the DP's FMIC and CP (as much as the ecu according to my butt dyno)

You dont happen to want a set of brand new in the box bmw MT pedals by any chance do you for $100?

Last edited by drjekl; 02-19-2013 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #20
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Welcome to the house of horrors, This is a really good forum to learn about your car.
I always wanted a manual but couldn't find one in good nick
if i can help in any way just give me a ring.
www.advanperformanceeuro.com.au
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #21
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Everyone who drives my car loves the meaty m3 tiller it feels extremely good to drive with and enhances the steering feel driving experience somewhat imo.

How did you go with the ssk install? That's one mod I'm yet to do and I have only baulked as I have heard that it makes shifting more difficult and tbh I would prefer a shift that is easier and more precise considering my car spends 99% of the time toodling about.

You dont happen to want a set of brand new in the box bmw MT pedals by any chance do you for $100?
I'll be installing the s'wheel first chance I get - looking forward to that for the reasons you mentioned.

The UUC SSK is the ultimate in my opinion. There are a few out there but this one is considered cream. I only went that way as I had UUC ones on my previous two BMs. This one is just as good. There is barely any more effort required but it is so much more precise and just snicks into place very accurately - not notchy at all. It is real quality - just look at what comes in the kit in my photo. The BMW Performance one was second option but an unknown to me. Based on personal experience, stay away from the cheap stuff as it will ruin the feel of your car and will be nothing but frustration. Just going for the shorter stubby gear knob and nothing else also improves the feel quite a bit - and is cheaper too!

Thanks for pedal offer - I have another full set of 4 in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Welcome to the house of horrors, This is a really good forum to learn about your car.
This place is what inspired me so far! Thanks and truly appreciate the offer of assistance. I already know you really know your stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #22
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH_335
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Everyone who drives my car loves the meaty m3 tiller it feels extremely good to drive with and enhances the steering feel driving experience somewhat imo.

I'll be installing the s'wheel first chance I get - looking forward to that for the reasons you mentioned.

The UUC SSK is the ultimate in my opinion. There are a few out there but this one is considered cream. I only went that way as I had UUC ones on my previous two BMs. This one is just as good. There is barely any more effort required but it is so much more precise and just snicks into place very accurately - not notchy at all. It is real quality - just look at what comes in the kit in my photo. The BMW Performance one was second option but an unknown to me. Based on personal experience, stay away from the cheap stuff as it will ruin the feel of your car and will be nothing but frustration. Just going for the shorter stubby gear knob and nothing else also improves the feel quite a bit - and is cheaper too!

Thanks for pedal offer - I have another full set of 4 in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
This place is what inspired me so far! Thanks and truly appreciate the offer of assistance. I already know you really know your stuff
Pete's a good chap, I taught him everything he knows
Appreciate 0