E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i Engine shakes/shudders at high RPM under acceleration

02-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
bmwdrvr2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

335i Engine shakes/shudders at high RPM under acceleration

When under hard acceleration, and when in high RPM's the engine will start shaking, and shuddering. It will continue to do so only if I press the throttle, if I coast the car is fine. It will continue like this unless I restart the car, then it drives fine again. If I drive it easy it will run fine, it only happens under hard acceleration. I have been to the Dealership three time to fix the problem, twice they reprogramed the pump, once they switched two coils around. Has anyone had the same problem and if so what was done to fix the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
rossg01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: m340 portimao blue

I just experienced the same problem this morning, only happens when I accelerate, scary issue I'm going to take mine in to see what is going on
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdrvr2 View Post
When under hard acceleration, and when in high RPM's the engine will start shaking, and shuddering. It will continue to do so only if I press the throttle, if I coast the car is fine. It will continue like this unless I restart the car, then it drives fine again. If I drive it easy it will run fine, it only happens under hard acceleration. I have been to the Dealership three time to fix the problem, twice they reprogramed the pump, once they switched two coils around. Has anyone had the same problem and if so what was done to fix the car?
They need to REPLACE the pump.
Also, switching coils around? What kind of dealer is that? If you were out of warranty they would have replaced the coils if they thought something was wrong with them.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 02-09-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

They switch coils around to diagnose if the coil is the problem for bad spark. If bad spark follows the coil, then the coil is defective. Common practice.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
They switch coils around to diagnose if the coil is the problem for bad spark. If bad spark follows the coil, then the coil is defective. Common practice.
Sure for an indy, not a dealer.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 328dX Msport Estoril Blue

I've had the same issue... 3 times now.... any updates what the fix could be? What year is your car? They can't seem to fix this issue yet...
Appreciate 0