E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Bumper Damage

01-27-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Bumper Damage

Well......

I was in a car park at Mosman Park on Stirling Highway - Perth, today having just purchased some cleaning stuff for my boat. I was in my car parking bay in reverse waiting for some senior citizen to move his 4x4 who was waiting to take my bay...bit hard when the dick was right behind me!!!!!

Anyway....his brain finally engaged and he reversed but in doing so only left me the narrowest of margins to reverse past him. Most unfortunately, as I now know, there was a knee high wall separating the car park from a walk way on my driver's side and yes, you guessed it, I clipped it.

I stopped and got out and the "old prick" (he went down in my esteem from being a "senior citizen") just drove on into the car park, got out, and went to the shop. He knew I had hit the wall but didn't give a poo.

I immediately went to a BMW recommended repairer - Peter Wilkinson & Company in Welshpool, and they confirmed the bumper was dead and needed a new one.

Just waiting for the insurance approval and hopefully get it done next week.

I am sooooooooo upset as I have had the car for four years since new and this is the first damage to it. I was lucky in one way that it was only the bumper and not the front wing or door panel.

Final comment - old farts shouldn't be allowed to drive 4x4's.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
lemonpark
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E92

I don't trust old people, one reversed straight into my Lexus a couple of years ago, it was middle of the day and sunny, don't know how he didn't see me or thought he could keep reversing. Not hating on all old people, but the ones I've seen are pretty dodgy LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:31 AM   #3
miro67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Scratched a wheel on the weekend in a very similar circumstance. Shitty about it as like you it's the first mark on the car, made worse because ultimately it was my fault. Teach me to be nice to others and rush what I was doing!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
bamboostk86
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328I E93  [10.00]
2009 bmw X3  [0.00]
Plz. Explain how u hitting the wall was his fault? Does he have a remote control for ur car?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 04:50 AM   #5
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
damn! sorry to see/hear...

But this was no fault but your own here.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboostk86 View Post
Plz. Explain how u hitting the wall was his fault? Does he have a remote control for ur car?
Because in my world it would have been plainly reasonable for the Senior Citizen to have shown some respect for other road users and placed his vehicle in a such a position to enable me to safely exit the parking area.

Instead, he sat there blocking my exit and then when he did move he placed his car in such a fashion as to severely restrict the amount of room I had to reverse out of. Next time I just won't bloody move!

At any case, it is being fixed and it could have been a lot worse.

Keep smiling and have a happy day
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
bamboostk86
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328I E93  [10.00]
2009 bmw X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
Because in my world it would have been plainly reasonable for the Senior Citizen to have shown some respect for other road users and placed his vehicle in a such a position to enable me to safely exit the parking area.

Instead, he sat there blocking my exit and then when he did move he placed his car in such a fashion as to severely restrict the amount of room I had to reverse out of. Next time I just won't bloody move!

At any case, it is being fixed and it could have been a lot worse.

Keep smiling and have a happy day
the reason i said this was literally that day i read this a guy rubbed my x3 while I was at the wheel watching, he scratched the paint off my bumper and messed his door up. my rambling point is we both knew who was at fault its the person who's car is in motion and controlled by the owner.I agree the old fart may well be a prick as many old farts are ( "hey you kids get of my grass" said in old man voice while shaking fist in air)

Stay clean my friends
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Sorry to hear, but it's got nothing to do with old people. If anything, old people have far more respect, manners and courtesy than most people quarter their age.

Sitting at a computer calling a senior an old prick shows how much respect you have, because he didn't move more for you. He clearly misjudged how much room he needed to give you. That's not a crime or at fault for your accident. You could have honked, gotten out to advise him or not move. Him walking away after you hit a wall that you walked past to get into your car - what did you want him to do? Give you a hug?

I was taught to respect my elders and show them compassion. I agree that they can be dangerous on the road with poor vision and reaction times, but it's unfortunate this had to happen to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
djpro1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 335i

first scratch always hurts.

then it becomes less and less painful..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:15 AM   #10
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
Sorry to hear, but it's got nothing to do with old people. If anything, old people have far more respect, manners and courtesy than most people quarter their age.

Sitting at a computer calling a senior an old prick shows how much respect you have, because he didn't move more for you. He clearly misjudged how much room he needed to give you. That's not a crime or at fault for your accident. You could have honked, gotten out to advise him or not move. Him walking away after you hit a wall that you walked past to get into your car - what did you want him to do? Give you a hug?

I was taught to respect my elders and show them compassion. I agree that they can be dangerous on the road with poor vision and reaction times, but it's unfortunate this had to happen to you.
You've got to be kidding.

They'll back into your car and drive off without a care in the world. They'll drag a shopping trolley across every panel down the side of your car and pretend they didn't notice. Oh and Don't worry if you've double parked and blocked me from opening my own car door. I obviously didn't need to drive home from the shops anyway.

Some of them drive right through the shop front window of restaurants and petrol stations, running over mothers, children and prams, pinning them to the wall or squashing them into the ground completely.

Then they have the audacity to tell the media and police investigators that they "mistakenly confused the brake pedal with the accelerator" and that it was all an accident. Yea, right. That's okay then. No worries, be on your way.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 03:04 AM   #11
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah, old people become less adequate behind the wheel as age goes on. Still no reason to call them dick or old pricks. Especially in this instance.

All of the above also capable from any inadequate driver. I've seen Asian women do most of the above. One missed me by about a metre and plowed into part of a Westpac. Four cop cars rolled up sirens blaring and guns out within five minutes lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:38 AM   #12
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpro1
first scratch always hurts.

then it becomes less and less painful..
True dat.

Still costs the same to fix the scratches when they do happen though. Wallet still gets the shits every time
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:51 AM   #13
LaserPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi -> E90 N55

Still don't understand why you did not step out of your car and ask him to move his car...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #14
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

I really feel for PerthBMW. It sucks knowing that you have damaged your car while trying to help someone out, but I am with cashedupbogan on this one. It's not just old people that have issues. The drivers I have the most problems with are girl P-platers (both colours). I had my Falcon ute side swiped by a girl p-plater in a black Barina. When she was pulling into a park next to my car, she dragged the front corner of her car from the back of the cab, across the door, across the guard and onto the front wheel..and didn't leave enough room for me to even get in the car. All happened in front of me as I was walking back to the car. When I interrupted her while she walking away, texting on the phone to point out what had happened, she was none the wiser. Literally didn't even realise. Unbelievable!

I swear chicks must try and get as close to a 45 deg angle in any spot they park in. Must be how they roll..or they just don't give a frig.

Incidents involving old people on the road get a lot more coverage than maybe they deserve. The same type of accidents happen to other demographics as well. It's just not as fashionable or politically correct to report on. Over a certain age seniors need to, every 2 years, pass a health assessment and pass a physical driving test to retain their driver's license. Every 2 years. What more can you really ask of someone?

Hopefully if we are lucky we are all going to get old one day and the right to have a driver's license will be brought into question. You never stop being a car enthusiast. How do you reckon we will cope when the girl at the RMS says "oh you're that old, well you'll have to get a physical done and pass an on the road driving test before we can renew your license ". I am just gonna say, "Don't you know who I am?!! I taught Ken Block everything he knows. Let's go outside and let me show you how to reverse drift into a parallel park!!!!" For me the prospect of not being able to drive for the rest of my days and losing my independence would just be f$&@in terrible.
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
Scotty89
Buy a 335 they said... It'll be fun they said...
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Don't know where you're from but seniors don't need to pass anything here. Just get your drivers license for 10 years and keep driving until it expires.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #16
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

In NSW, once you're over a certain age, you need a doctor to sign off that you're fit to drive every two years. I personally think this is too long. A senior's health can take a dramatic turn in two years and so too their ability on the road (and in car parks!) . Here in NSW, the doctors can advise llimitations such as driving during the day only, only certain KMs away from home to the shops or doctors etc
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 01:59 AM   #17
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Update...

As I noted above, I went to a BMW recommended repairer - Peter Wilkinson & Company in Welshpool, and pleased to say they were great with their service. Had my Insurer inspect and approve it on Thursday morning and booked in to have the bumper replaced this Monday coming.

Interestingly, this crowd only use OEM parts and the Insurer has approved the repair....all good by me.

Well see how she looks on Wednesday when I get it back.

The guy is still a "so and so" as far as I am concerned.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:54 AM   #18
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

went to a car park in oakleigh for 20 fraaking minutes came out some S%$&t head hit my front bumper... was there a note? of course there wasn't. anyway car parks/

preventive case.

last night waiting to turn left guy infront put it in reverse kept it there.. so after thinking for 5 sec i got out and told him he was in reverse. he thanked me and put back in drive...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #19
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
In NSW, once you're over a certain age, you need a doctor to sign off that you're fit to drive every two years. I personally think this is too long. A senior's health can take a dramatic turn in two years and so too their ability on the road (and in car parks!) . Here in NSW, the doctors can advise llimitations such as driving during the day only, only certain KMs away from home to the shops or doctors etc
Attached Images

Appreciate 0