E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Having issue trying to remove DRL (angel eyes) bulb

10-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
dieselgg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 335i

Having issue trying to remove DRL (angel eyes) bulb

Hi,

Could someone please tell me where the DRL bulb is on the passenger side of 2009 e90 335i. And I do have the xenon lamps. I scoured through all DIY and youtube videos and they either refer to the e92 model where you go from engine bay or 2008 and earlier which used a different bulb and different installation configuration.

I have wheel well lining removed and the compartment lid open where I think the light should be. It is circled in red. I removed the two retaining screws that are holding, but the problem is when I try to pull on it, the low beam housing is in the way and tilts up.

I have included a pic of the new bulb and the compartment. The DRL bub is an H8 12V 35W bulb.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

First off, you are looking in the wrong area. If your car is a 2009 then the DRL bulb should be right where the round cap is. Not where the large cover contains the D1S bulb needed for replacing the Xenon low-beam.
Leave the motor alone. You do not need to remove that to replace a bulb...
Wheel lining does not need to be removed, the DRL bulb can be accessed right from where the engine bay is.
      10-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
dieselgg
Private First Class
Rep

I know exactly the round cap you are referring to. I did that as per the owner's manual also. I opened it up from the engine bay and tried to reach in with my fingers I could not reach anything. The opening faces towards the rear of the car and not up as I have seen with the coupes. I also removed the round cap when I had wheel liner removed, I looked in and I could not find the DRL bulb. From the angle I had, I could just see some wires. Seriously, I could not see anything, which is why based on the repair manual and Realoem diagram I went to the area I did by the low beam lamp housing.

It must be buried in there somewhere in the compartment with the round cap.

Thanks very much for replying - Playground

Last edited by dieselgg; 10-29-2014 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselgg View Post
I know exactly the round cap you are referring to. I did that as per the owner's manual also. I opened it up from the engine bay and tried to reach in with my fingers I could not reach anything. The opening faces towards the rear of the car and not up as I have seen with the coupes. I also removed the round cap when I had wheel liner removed, I looked in and I could not find the DRL bulb. From the angle I had, I could just see some wires. Seriously, I could not see anything, which is why based on the repair manual and Realoem diagram I went to the area I did by the low beam lamp housing.

It must be buried in there somewhere in the compartment with the round cap.

Thanks very much for replying - Playground
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322124

Work in a better lit environment. If you use your fingers to feel the area you should be able to feel the base of the light bulb connected to a light grey plug which has tiny prongs you must lightly bend back to unclip the H8 bulb.

The guide on the link I posted should have everything covered. It is a real simple process, when replacing the bulb make sure not to touch the bulb with your oily fingers otherwise it will shorten the length of the bulb.
      10-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
dieselgg
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the excellent link and it was in the Uk thread, which i never would have searched in. I ended up going at lunch time and I was able to reach in and remove the bulb. I should have been more patient to look closely inside the compartment.

Btw, even though it was not necessary, I was able to access the headlight compartment by just removing the top 3 or 4 screws and pulling down on the wheel well liner. And now with the link you provided, at least I know what to do when accessing the headlamp area when I need to remove the xenon bulb.

Thanks again Playground
Appreciate 0