E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ASR Turbos installed (finally)

01-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

ASR Turbos installed (finally)

Ok... so I received them (FINALLY) a couple weeks or so ago... and installed over the weekend... I posted some notes on another forum last night and this morning... I will just paste them here..... no need for those that read them there to read these too.. no new info...

------------- Post 1 --------------

Ok... So I'm tired. But a few hours Friday night, all day Saturday. And then a few hours to finsih up today and they are in...

Install was straight forward enough. Nothing worth doing a diy basically... Plus no way was I touching my camera as filthy as my hands were...

A very good selection of 3/8 ratchet tools (extensions, a few different handles... Etc) as well as a small 1/4 one too. And a set if the torx drivers and the inverse torx sockets... And I was all good

An air ratchet saved some time. But there was a ton of tedious work where you just could get wrenches/ratchets on things.

So it took a while to do but fired right up when done

Obviously still traction limited in 1st 2nd. 3rd is now a little squirrely to . The top end is amazing. Jumps on the freeway are amazing. (running meth too).

Using procede with the upgraded turbo maps from 11-25... Very solid... Did get one misfire at the top of 4th but I'm betting I just need new plugs...

51k miles. Original clutch. Wonder how long it will hold up

------ Post 2 ------

Ok... further notes...

Car - 07 e92 - 51K miles
Mods - DCI, V5, Riss Catted DPs, Vishnu Meth with M10 nozzle, ASR Turbos, KWv3, Quaife LSD, Vishnu Exhaust, VK Intercooler

Other - typical cheap 'fancy' 19" wheels...(2 just dented recently) badly pitted and chipped windshield both of these are about to get replaced...

Tires - Nitto Invo 235/265 ... personally not amazed... note they are thinner than the eagle F1 asymetrics i had before... with the Invos i probably coulda fit 245/275 ...

Upcoming Mods... A full set of Velocity rear arms/links (700ish)
Rear Subframe bushings... dreading it after car work burnout
both of the above to try to fix the fluffy puff marshmallow back end I have right now with all the power....
... Spec Clutch stg2+...with aluminum flywheel....it's working for Shiv, and on ASRs car... I have some concerns but many of the clutches people have tried seem to be hit and miss so... i'm hoping for the best.... gonna have Edge Motorworks put it in i think... they are pretty local to me... (i don't feel like screwing it up, don't have the right tools, and don't want to drop a tranny on my head)

I'm typically very good on clutches... a few hard shifts here and there, but no dragstrips..etc.. I never wear out clutches untill i crazy mod the car.... at 51K this morning... in 33 degree weather, on relatively cold tires... I think i noticed the stock clutch slip in 4th at about 4500 rpm... just a 500rpm blip and it grabbed... did it twice, then i couldn't replicate.... it's possible that it was the tires slipping... it was so quick I couldn't see if the DTC light lit up....

doing the work, as i said.. nothing daunting.... just tedious... go into it knowing it will take a while... and you can do it... only tricks are good music... a 4 inch long chunk of 2x4 ripped to more like 2x3 to fit between the bottom of the engine and the subframe... another chunk of 2x4 and a jack also to hold up the engine.... pull DPs, pull the engine mount, pull the turbo water lines, pull the oil drain lines, pull the heat shields behind the turbos (4 bolts each) ... pull the turbos..... rejoice...

then put the water blocker things in... .. then for the oil feed lines.. i put the top half of each heat shield behind the turbos on first.... attached the lines to the turbos... stuck the front turbo in.. routed line from the bottom behind the heat shield... bolted bottom half of heat shield down.. repeat for the rear...

also for the front...i stuck it up there with the oil drain line already attached.... so i could be sure it was attached to the turbo well... it was a little bit of a pain getting it in with the line attached.. but i felt better about it...

all in all... slow.. but not bad.....

Sound.... car sounds a bit deeper and a little less raspy.... the little bit of drone i had around 2000 RPM is almost non-existent now as well... the little burbling I would get under deceleration if you barely touched the throttle is now a lot quieter too (i will miss that).... sounds way better in parking garages now... and i did start it with the DPs, but without the rest of the exhaust, just to make sure it ran before i bolted it all back together completely (murphy's law thing)... damn i wish i could drive around like that.. sounded awesome

plugs have about 15ish on them now.. so yea.. probably time to change...

will check out the oil recommendations.. thanks...

overall these things are pretty cool.... it's about damn time i got em in there..... (although my hands aren't so happy with me from doing all the work)

oh yea.. and despite the slightly rattly mechanical bits of the one turbo.... there is no rattle in the car... with the procede set at the default of 90% for rattle adjustment... (my old ones rattled badly unless i got it down to about 50%)

i guess that's about it......

----------------
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

subscribing.
      01-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

oh yea...and i forgot to mention... seems a lot more responsive on light throttle... I'm assuming due to the far less restrictive turbine side... it's quite nice...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
congrats man. post some vids plz. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Will you dyno it any time soon?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
in for pics as well
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Hmmm.... Videos.... Never bothered with video of the car.... Um... Yea.. Maybe but not super soon... Video of what ? Speedo or ??

Um.... Dyno.... Nope.... Don't have any before numbers, so after numbers wouldn't really matter much i suppose........ Never cared about dyno numbers really.... It'd be one thing if i had to use it to dial in tuning... But with the auto tuning and logging on the procede i just use those to make sure it's running right... I can promise it pulls much stronger than it used to... All the way to redline.. No issues...

Pics... Of ??? There is a thread on *********** that has pictures posted of the turbos and oil line hardware etc..... Not sure what else to show ? They look almost stock from the outside...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
rbaldwin28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Sport Prem. White

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
If somewhere is near San Diego we should meet on the I-5 and see how much real worl power you have gained from those snails. I can Video.
      01-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin28 View Post
If somewhere is near San Diego we should meet on the I-5 and see how much real worl power you have gained from those snails. I can Video.
I'm in the east bay...near SF.... I should update my profile since my warranty is expired now....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh yea... I will say... Pre-turbo... Just a few weeks ago... I hit a calculated 178 on a private dirt road in Mexico... Was still pulling just fine... I just didn't feel like stressing the engine to run up higher... Tach was still climbing... Woulda loved to have had these in for that little run though.... I know it woulda gotten up there significantly faster....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
I'm in the east bay...near SF.... I should update my profile since my warranty is expired now....
Hey, I'm in Oak-town...would love to check this out sometime.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Oh yea... I will say... Pre-turbo... Just a few weeks ago... I hit a calculated 178 on a private dirt road in Mexico... Was still pulling just fine... I just didn't feel like stressing the engine to run up higher... Tach was still climbing... Woulda loved to have had these in for that little run though.... I know it woulda gotten up there significantly faster....
Isn´t speeding illegal in Mexico as well?
You guys should go to the Autobahn instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Did I read that right? You were going 178 on a DIRT road?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Did I read that right? You were going 178 on a DIRT road?
Hahaha. Not really dirt...

And Mexico cant find me here... Or prove it was actually mexico... Or maybe it was somewhere else...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
Hey, I'm in Oak-town...would love to check this out sometime.
Yea.. That's cool... PM me your schedule or whatever... Maybe can work something out....

Oh yea. And maybe should stall a couple weeks till i get the rear end a little straightened out.... All the links..etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Pics or it didn't happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #17
cotmfk
Major General