E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Brake Sensor damage from Cleaning Wheels?

05-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Question Brake Sensor damage from Cleaning Wheels?

Hi guys,

So I was cleaning my rims last weekend. I was doing the usual routine of soaking them with water using a hose nozzle sprayer, then applying Sonax wheel cleaner and rinsing again with water. I just used a "flat pattern" spray on my nozzle which does not create that much pressure.

Anyway, shortly after cleaning my wheels, my brake lights came on indicating that I need to replace both my front and rear pads! I know for a fact that they are not due for at least another 12-15k miles (as that is what the maintenance indicator was saying a few weeks ago). I have also inspected the pads visually to note that they have plenty of life left in them. I tried to clear the indicator, but no change. It looks like I need to change out the sensors for it to go way

I'm posting this in the detailing section as I'm genuinely curious how common this is? It's too much of a coincidence that it happened right after cleaning my wheels! Has this happened to anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

As someone who has both cleaned wheels, as well as changed sensors, water spray isn't going to do a thing. Now if you were stabbing around with some kind of wheel brush to clean between spokes, that's a different matter.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
As someone who has both cleaned wheels, as well as changed sensors, water spray isn't going to do a thing. Now if you were stabbing around with some kind of wheel brush to clean between spokes, that's a different matter.
Hmm I did use a wheel brush to agitate the brake dust and I did use it by the caliper. This is the first time its ever happened tho...and Ive at least done this a dozen times...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Did you actually measure the pads? They could need changed regardless of what CBS says. I clean my wheels often and use the same procedure, don;t use wheel cleaner much as mine are opti-coated.
I also do my own maintenance and can tell you the CBS is glorified estimate as I checked my rear pads before they were done but no light, 2 weeks(@900 miles) later lights up.
Never had to change both ends at once though in any bimmer I've owned, check and see if you pulled the sensor loose where it clips into the chassis receptacle, sensor itself beds into the pad doubt you could damge that.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Did you actually measure the pads? They could need changed regardless of what CBS says. I clean my wheels often and use the same procedure, don;t use wheel cleaner much as mine are opti-coated.
I also do my own maintenance and can tell you the CBS is glorified estimate as I checked my rear pads before they were done but no light, 2 weeks(@900 miles) later lights up.
Never had to change both ends at once though in any bimmer I've owned, check and see if you pulled the sensor loose where it clips into the chassis receptacle, sensor itself beds into the pad doubt you could damge that.
Didn't measure the pads. Yeah, I suspect it could be a loose sensor since both the front and rear triggered. I'll double check them this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Basically it's just a wire and a clip. On end beds in the pad, runs thru the clip and plugs in. Check the end that plugs into the chassis and the wire if crimped or worn, any short or discharge will make it read open hence trigger the light.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

You probably broke the sensors with the brush. Just knocking them out of place will not turn on the brake lights.
      06-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
BoostedSteve
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Maby cleaning the brake dust just gave enough clearance for the sensor to go off that would be a odd one though but certainly not impossible.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedSteve View Post
Maby cleaning the brake dust just gave enough clearance for the sensor to go off that would be a odd one though but certainly not impossible.
Nope,
      06-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
BoostedSteve
Rep
Drives: E90 335

just change them your due in 15000 anyways
Appreciate 0