E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Water on Battery, won't start! Please help

11-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

Water on Battery, won't start! Please help

Alright so it rained pretty heavily in California last night, at least in the area i'm at. I went to park at a shop while it rained and went to get some grub. When I came back, my car would not start at all. I'd press on the brake, press the Start/Stop button and nothing. Nothing clicks, etc. However the car's interior lights still power on, radio, etc. But when I try to start the car. All of the accessory electricals turn off like the aforementioned lights and radio. Being that there were no errors on the dashboard cluster, I immediately thought of the battery.

I opened the trunk, removed the sidewall thing that covers the battery and there it was -- a small leak had allowed some of the rain water to touch the battery and a few leads. I called up a friend, went to pick up a battery and replaced it. The car started fine and I went home. I woke up this morning and AGAIN the battery is flat/non-reactive to starting up.

Has anyone gotten any experience with this aside from "TAKE IT TO THE MECHANIC" which I don't want to throw in the towel yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

You need to "register" the battery with the car to let it know you have replaced the battery. This can be done with bavarian technic tool or INPA i believe. Or take it to dealer to register battery.