E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What to look when finding a professional car detailer

04-22-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
SoonToBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi coup march build

Question What to look when finding a professional car detailer

I have just taken ownership of a Black Metallic 328xi coup. I want to find a good detailer. What should I look for and what questions should I ask? What should I expect to pay?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Lots of both. Picus...you out there brother...
      04-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
SoonToBimmer
Private
Rep

Anyone Anyone???

Doesn't anyone ever take their cars in to get detailed?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Ask the person what exactly they are going to do and in what order. Are they just going to wash and wax? If so, move onto the next detailer. You know you're wasting your time and money with the guy you're talking to. If they tell you they will give your car a full detail, ie. wash, clay, mild polish (deeper polishing, if required, usually costs extra as it takes more time), and seal, you know you're almost there. Next step is to find out what types products they use. If they're going to use the Meguiars 3 step system and wax with NXT, again, you'll probably want to find someone else who uses real abrasives and will protect their work with a quality sealant. Find out if they use a rotary to polish, and how long they have been using it.

Those are some things I can think of off the top of my head. See detailing 101 stickied at the top of this forum for more ideas on what to ask.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
SoonToBimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Ask the person what exactly they are going to do and in what order. Are they just going to wash and wax? If so, move onto the next detailer. You know you're wasting your time and money with the guy you're talking to. If they tell you they will give your car a full detail, ie. wash, clay, mild polish (deeper polishing, if required, usually costs extra as it takes more time), and seal, you know you're almost there. Next step is to find out what types products they use. If they're going to use the Meguiars 3 step system and wax with NXT, again, you'll probably want to find someone else who uses real abrasives and will protect their work with a quality sealant. Find out if they use a rotary to polish, and how long they have been using it.

Those are some things I can think of off the top of my head. See detailing 101 stickied at the top of this forum for more ideas on what to ask.

Thanx for the input
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

I'd like to add just a few thoughts to whats been said.

I ran a small detailing business for a while...just something on the side after friends commented on the cleanliness of my vehicles.

The gentlemen above is right, ask about products, etc...very important to see what they're using. Another thing you might want to ask is if you can watch one of their guys at work on any car they have in the shop at the time you visit...its a surprise inspection if you will. If they refuse...move on. If they won't let you watch what they're doing then you have no business letting them touch your car.

I would like to see their detailers too...who are these guys, 17yr old kids or people who know what they're doing and take pride in their work? I took pride, if someone wanted to see our work...you got to right on the spot. We put plastic on the seats and on the carpets so that we didn't track products into the cars. We use plastic gloves, bumper protectors, clothing which did not have zippers or buttons that might scratch the finish if one of us happend to rub against the vehicle. We kept things very clean, neat and tidy. It was something I took pride in, a shop that was friendly, convenient and went to the extra lengths that I personally take to clean and maintain my vehicles.

If you don't see these attributes and truly care about maintaining your vehicles finish, move on. You don't necessarily get what you pay for...some like to charge a bundle for a bunch of fancy words and promises and in the end its a cheap wash and wax job. You really need to do some research, visit a few detailing shops...look around, talk to a detailer and ask him to give you a run down on a particular service and what he's going to do. This is just something you need to really pay attention to your gut feeling...if it doesn't feel right, look elsewhere.

I'm passionate about this b/c I expect the best and often don't get it...so I took matters into my own hands and spoiled my clients. Charging a bundle wasn't necessary, when you take pride in your work...others will too and the business will come. This is why I say...you don't necessarily get what you pay for...sometimes those people who don't charge a fortune will give you better service.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
SoonToBimmer
Private
Rep

I'm passionate about this b/c I expect the best and often don't get it...so I took matters into my own hands and spoiled my clients. Charging a bundle wasn't necessary, when you take pride in your work...others will too and the business will come. This is why I say...you don't necessarily get what you pay for...sometimes those people who don't charge a fortune will give you better service.[/QUOTE]

Boy how true your statement is. I have have found this out many times. This is why I like to deal with a lot of smaller places for may services that I require. Thnx for your insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
madman23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40, 1988 325 IX

So i am an 18 year old kid that is learning as much as possible about detailing cars. unfortunatly i do not have the funds to open up my own shop or anything like that but those are definatly future plans of mine. I also go to shool so it is really hard to find the time.

Anyway, I have detailed a few cars and considering i am not "perfect" i dont charge a lot. But hey "practice makes perfect" right? I try as hard as i can to pay attention to detail. I wash the car and get every angle of it, i use meguiers claybar kit, NXT 360, and i have been experimenting with different waxes. I have been usind pure waxes, not liquid.

Detail is the main key of the business. If there iswax left on the lights or in the cracks, dont even bother, or just go back and complain. I have had customers ask me to redue certain spots, but like i said i'm 18 and still have a lot of learning to do.

Good luck with finding someone.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Since you're starting out you need to research and read-up all the information you can regarding exterior and interior care. Some think wash, wax is enough...unfortunatly it can get a lot more complicated. Here is a site I recommend you look through and take to heart their recommendations.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

here are a few products names I recommend...

Zaino - all products...their polymer sealants (a sort of advanced wax) are excellent, top of the line car care products. I can't stress how wonderful this product line is, everything from the wash to the leather care is excellent. I don't think there is a better paint product out there. It will cost you, but it is worth every penny.

Pinnacle - Leather care products in particular, they leave a wonderful leather scent behind and care for the leather. - I do not recommend Lexol contrary to some.

P21s - Most of these products are very good, the wash and wheel care items are best. Their waxes pale in comparison to Zaino.

3M - The products i'm thinking of here are the polishing compounds. Fine Cut Swirl Mark remover and such. These are great products and many professional detailers use these.

A few personal preferences...

I do not particularly care for traditional paste waxes - I prefer the liquids, easier to work with. Again, Zaino makes an entire line of liquid sealant products.

Microfiber ...everything, towels, wash mitts...everything. Use a plush well made microfiber brand see http://topoftheline.com/ As another option to autopia.

The California Blade - obvious, for drying.

When buffing surfaces I use a PorterCable rotary machine, this uses one disc and rotates in a circular motion, instead of the random overlapping rotation of the cyclo polishers. The PorterCable is a more advanced detailing tool. It can burn through clear coat and can damage the surface unless you understand how to use it properly...which really isn't difficult, basic principle is to keep it moving around the panel you are working with and keeping the pressure light. It is more effective than cyclo polishers.

Since you're new, read up about it and try it out...just be careful until you're comfortable with it. Practice makes perfect.

If you start to use Zaino...and want to maintain the work you did putting on that polish, you're going to have to use their wash and detail spray. Most other sprays and washes have a sort of stripping and waxing nature of their own. These will remove some if not all of the Zaino polish (Gold Class car wash will, for example). There are some tricks to using these compounds, but Zaino provides good instructions on their website. Ambient tempurature is important with their products, in my experience. The warmer, the faster the product dries and the faster you can finish the job. Relative humidity, if high, can delay an otherwise quick job...sometimes taking the polish up to 24hrs to dry - what a drag.

Good luck with your detailing, if you make a business of it be sure to get to know your clients. Treat each one like family and encourage them to watch how its done and how to maintain it. Give them tips - earn the trust you deserve and they will keep coming back, and so will their friends.

Edit:
Oh, if someone asks you to do something you haven't tried before...let them know you haven't done that (for instance, removing swirl marks, removing gum from leather - i had that once). If they acknowledge you are new to a particular problem they want you to solve...you are less likey to run into problems. If you do not tell them and you mess up...thats not good, for either of you. Be honest --> always. If you make a mistake and can't fix it, take responsibility pay someone else to fix it...learn and move on. Taking responsibility for your mistakes speaks volumes about one's integrity and this again is very important in business. If you make a mistake and learn from it - you're golden.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

The key to evaluating any business is critical thinking. Compare what they are offering/saying to reliable sources of information, like autopia.org. I've had a number of members PM me with potential detailers sites they plan to visit all across the country; you can usually tell in the first few minutes if the detailer does, or doesn't know what they are doing.
Appreciate 0