E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMWhat Rocks- My mini review

03-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #23
Concentric190
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
link for the BT tool? This might be reason enough to use my android tablet.
97 M3 NASA TTB build for 2014!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #24
BlueBill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I just informed the vendor that I am getting a refund for the iOS version which is severely overpriced given its limitations.

I CANNOT recommend the iOS version at its current price point. It is simply (limited) coding and diagnostics (which require emailing him the errors for him to give you all the data). You would be much better off with $100 K+DCAN cable and a laptop, since you can't use the app for anything 'real-time' while driving. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Why are you saying this? I have been using the app for quite a while now and there is no need to send anything off to get the fault info. You get all of the data directly from the full version

And you can do all the coding yourself with the iPhone.

This is definitely 1000 times better than having to carry my laptop around.

I just love to be able to get all the information with my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Curious for a description of the dog?
Heh. Elle is a Pom poodle perhaps Maltese mix. Dexter is 7lbs of Pom but I put him in the footwell.

So yes a sitting dog driving home from vet and I hear incessant seatbelt chiming that gets old fast.

- b
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #26
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBill
Quote:
I just informed the vendor that I am getting a refund for the iOS version which is severely overpriced given its limitations.

I CANNOT recommend the iOS version at its current price point. It is simply (limited) coding and diagnostics (which require emailing him the errors for him to give you all the data). You would be much better off with $100 K+DCAN cable and a laptop, since you can't use the app for anything 'real-time' while driving. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Why are you saying this? I have been using the app for quite a while now and there is no need to send anything off to get the fault info. You get all of the data directly from the full version

And you can do all the coding yourself with the iPhone.

This is definitely 1000 times better than having to carry my laptop around.

I just love to be able to get all the information with my iPhone.
Not true. When you email him you get detailed info on the fault. While the app does provide a short decription (more than a raw code) it doesnt indicate conditions etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #27
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I still can't find the proper "boost" pressure parameter for this app.
FYI, I emailed Arian about this and send him my log file. He is going to ask Parvis as well. (Perhaps you already did. But better safe than sorry I guess.)

Also for others interested, BMWhat authors are maintaining a list of requested features that they are working in... it is located here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=4

-Ed
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #28
BlueBill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not true. When you email him you get detailed info on the fault. While the app does provide a short decription (more than a raw code) it doesnt indicate conditions etc.
Have you ever actually used the app?
If you just look at the 3rd screenshot in iTunes you see the "Send report" button in the full version of the app.
With this button you can send exactly the same kind of report you got from the developer with the lite version. We use that frequently to send the reports to our repair shop.

Also when comparing BMWhat diag results with the "official" software tool you get basically the identical fault information.

by the way -it seems that you are quite negative about the app - maybe that's why you have not looked into all it's available features.

Not to mention that I have never seen such a responsive support for a software for that price!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #29
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Yep, the developers for this app are very quick at replying to concerns, questions or recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #30
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBill View Post
Have you ever actually used the app?
If you just look at the 3rd screenshot in iTunes you see the "Send report" button in the full version of the app.
With this button you can send exactly the same kind of report you got from the developer with the lite version. We use that frequently to send the reports to our repair shop.

Also when comparing BMWhat diag results with the "official" software tool you get basically the identical fault information.

by the way -it seems that you are quite negative about the app - maybe that's why you have not looked into all it's available features.

Not to mention that I have never seen such a responsive support for a software for that price!
I have praised Parvis for his responsiveness, he and I have traded quite a few messages. I am only one consumer but comparing what you get to what you pay for (iOS), there is better value elsewhere. The setup costs as much as a K+DCAN cable (app+wifi), the options are more limited for coding (and while it's convenient to code on your phone, you might as well use a laptop since you can only use the WiFi OBD when stopped). Parameters are not available, and yet even non BMW developers (Dash Command) are able to pull parameters for our vehicle OVER WiFIwhich Parvis asserts cannot be done!The proof is in the pudding.

Diagnostics require you to SEND the report encrypted to Parvis, where he will decrypt and send back to you (I've only had it sent back ONCE when I was only a -Lite customer - never since being a paying customer (probably oversight as I think he's a pretty good guy).

Don't mistake my dry tone for bashing his app. Its a good option, but 1) is overpriced vs the competition (incl his own Android offering) Note also: I have to compare it as a package deal with cost of dongle, 2) currently limited in coding options, though I expect it to improve. 3)Diagnostics are not as full featured as they could be within the app - would like to see the full DECRYPTED report without having to go back through him.

I have really high hopes for his app and hope he'll bend to some of the suggestions instead of stonewalling and blaming apple. I suggested a business model where the base app (whatever can work on ALL BMW) is one price (say $30) and then you can in-app purchase, additional features (parameters/coding) if they are supported by your model.

unless your experience with the send report is different from mine? mine have all come out encrypted :shrug

I am very tired tonight...sorry if this doesn't flow the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #31
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
I have praised Parvis for his responsiveness, he and I have traded quite a few messages. I am only one consumer but comparing what you get to what you pay for (iOS), there is better value elsewhere. The setup costs as much as a K+DCAN cable (app+wifi), the options are more limited for coding (and while it's convenient to code on your phone, you might as well use a laptop since you can only use the WiFi OBD when stopped). Parameters are not available, and yet even non BMW developers (Dash Command) are able to pull parameters for our vehicle OVER WiFIwhich Parvis asserts cannot be done!The proof is in the pudding.

Diagnostics require you to SEND the report encrypted to Parvis, where he will decrypt and send back to you (I've only had it sent back ONCE when I was only a -Lite customer - never since being a paying customer (probably oversight as I think he's a pretty good guy).

Don't mistake my dry tone for bashing his app. Its a good option, but 1) is overpriced vs the competition (incl his own Android offering) Note also: I have to compare it as a package deal with cost of dongle, 2) currently limited in coding options, though I expect it to improve. 3)Diagnostics are not as full featured as they could be within the app - would like to see the full DECRYPTED report without having to go back through him.

I have really high hopes for his app and hope he'll bend to some of the suggestions instead of stonewalling and blaming apple. I suggested a business model where the base app (whatever can work on ALL BMW) is one price (say $30) and then you can in-app purchase, additional features (parameters/coding) if they are supported by your model.

unless your experience with the send report is different from mine? mine have all come out encrypted :shrug

I am very tired tonight...sorry if this doesn't flow the best.
Can you list out specifically what your favorite app is for coding and diagnostics? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #32
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I received an email from Parvis (the brain behind BMWhat) and he said he would be more than happy to make available any parameter we would want to see out of the 1000 parameters that are available for our DDE.

He asked us to compile a list of keywords that we as a group would like to read from our DDE and he would then convert to german and make all parameters matching those keywords available in the next release.

Here are some to start.. please add to the list.

soot, boost, regen, pressure

????

-Ed
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #33
BlueBill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you never actually used the full version

With the full version you have the "Send Report" button and you can send the same full detailed fault report anywhere as often as you like
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #34
Ryballz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Do you have a link to the BT module they sold? I have a technic tool, but it's a pain to do on the fly.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #35
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBill
Quote:
So you never actually used the full version

With the full version you have the "Send Report" button and you can send the same full detailed fault report anywhere as often as you like
As i already stated. This was the full version. Go back and read.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #36
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

I'm still on the fence of which obd wireless adapter should i buy. I want to try the BMWhat app and their bluetooh scan tool is just €18.5 and the wifi scan tool is €44.10. Once i'm a android fan, the bluetooth version is enough although the wifi version offers a wider range of options.

But i don't want to limited my choice to BMWhat app. Does anyone tried the BMWhat tools with other apps such Torque Pro or Dashcommand?
      03-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #37
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll try the torque app with my BMWhat tool for you. Stand by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
I'm still on the fence of which obd wireless adapter should i buy. I want to try the BMWhat app and their bluetooh scan tool is just €18.5 and the wifi scan tool is €44.10. Once i'm a android fan, the bluetooth version is enough although the wifi version offers a wider range of options.

But i don't want to limited my choice to BMWhat app. Does anyone tried the BMWhat tools with other apps such Torque Pro or Dashcommand?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #38
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

bmwhat bluetooth adapter works with torque pro on android
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #39
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewodzien View Post
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #40
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
bmwhat bluetooth adapter works with torque pro on android
Awesome. What about dashcommand?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #41
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The BMWhat BT adapter for 18 euro works great with Torque!

-Ed

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #42
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The BMWhat BT adapter for 18 euro works great with Torque!

-Ed
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #43
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Never used dash command. I have a couple of bluetooth adapters and the bmwhat does not seem to have anything proprietary. That said it is kind of bullshit that the bmwhat app looks for their bluetooth when trying to run parameters on the android version and won't do it unless it sees the bmwhat adapter. I am quite confident my other adapter would work just fine but the app seems to default to no parameter view. Great way to turn off people to what otherwise is a great app.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #44
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman
Quote:
Never used dash command. I have a couple of bluetooth adapters and the bmwhat does not seem to have anything proprietary. That said it is kind of bullshit that the bmwhat app looks for their bluetooth when trying to run parameters on the android version and won't do it unless it sees the bmwhat adapter. I am quite confident my other adapter would work just fine but the app seems to default to no parameter view. Great way to turn off people to what otherwise is a great app.
+1
Appreciate 0