E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMWhat Rocks- My mini review

05-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #89
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ddd
do you guys know if any of these apps monitor diesel cetane?
someone mentioned that there is a way a dealer can tell you via connected computer.

it would be nice to figure out which gas stations in my area carry good diesel (50+)
Ista wont show you that spwcifically. Only general fuel quality
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #90
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Ista wont show you that specifically. Only general fuel quality
are the readings for general fuel quality enough to determine if its in 40s or 50s cetane range? By change can you give an example of the reading? Also it something that can be programmed by the developer of BMWhat app since consumers can request new features.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #91
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

See this link

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...3&d=1358905683
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #92
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
nice! thank you.
i will try to reach out to BMWhat app developer and see if he can add this.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #93
GadgetBMW
Torque........I'm Loving it!
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Still waiting for an email response after BMWhat adapter purchase

I purchased the BMWhat Android app after testing the BMWhat Lite app. Both apps were able to connect to my OBDPros Bluetooth capable OBD adapter which is running an older firmware version. However, when I ran the "DIAGNOSIS" option in BMWhat, it returned no response from the selected ECUs and of course no additional info. I also use this OBDPros adapter with the Torque Pro Android app that I have and it works fine without any issues. I selected the option to "Order BMWhat adapter/cable", which I think also sent a couple of encrypted files with data about my vehicle along with my adapter/cable order request. Soon afterwards, I received an email from Arian Avini from a "BMWhat@iVini-apps.com" email address with what appeared to be an automated response with ordering and pricing info on the available BMWhat adapters for purchase and payment options.

After an initial email inquiry and exchange with Arian in which he was prompt and responsive AND answered my questions and stated that the product was in stock and ready for shipping, I went ahead and ordered the adapter and provided my complete contact info and ordering info to Arian. I paid 30 euros using PayPal for the BMWhat Android Bluetooth adapter, shipping to my address, and PayPal fees, as he instructed. I received PayPal confirmation that the payment was sent to Arian Avini.

Over the last few days, I've sent several emails to the "BMWhat@iVini-apps.com" email address that Arian originally responded to me with and inquired if he received my PayPal payment and asked for details and status concerning the shipment of the BMWhat Android Bluetooth adapter that I paid for via PayPal. So far, no one including Arian Avini has replied to my emails or called me concerning my payment and order status and I'm still waiting for a response. I want to know if he received my PayPal payment without any issues and get the details/tracking number, etc concerning shipping the adapter to my address. They currently have not provided me any info concerning this. It should be a simple response, "Yes, I received PayPal payment and here are the shipping details" OR "No, I didn't receive PayPal payment, can we have PayPal look into it?".

As a paying customer, this lack of response and lag in terms of customer service concerns me and I truly hope that this is just an oversight on their part. If I can't get a simple and timely email reply within a day or two with a response to my payment question and confirmation of payment and shipping info for a product that I've paid for, what happens if I need software support for the BMWhat app or hardware support for their OBD Bluetooth adapter?

I plan to send another email to ivini-apps and if necessary, place an international phone call to them and see if I can get info and status concerning my PayPal payment to Arian Avini and shipping info for the BMWhat Android Bluetooth adapter that I paid for. If I can get this resolved, then perhaps I can look forward to receiving my adapter from them and hopefully use the BMWhat app as it is advertised.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #94
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Have you considered the time difference between the States and Europe?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #95
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I went thru amazon and order the BMWhat bluetooth and usb adapter. Got a confirmation from amazon and then an email from Avini when it shipped. Cost me $80 for both adapters and shipping costs. Had to wait about 3 weeks for it to arrive from the Fatherland.

Couldn't get the BT adapter to hook up to my phone. Problem is with my phone, Motorola POS uses BT 3.0 and BMWhat uses 4.0 so they wont talk to each other. The phone can see the adapter but that is it. Works great on my wife's samsung.

This adapter has no problems with Torque. Solving this problem by getting a 10" galaxy with a window mounting bracket so I can put a whole bank of Torque gauges on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #96
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Have you considered the time difference between the States and Europe?
Yozh, I think that I have, it's been a few days and no response. Perhaps they need more time to email me a confirmation of my order, payment, and shipping info. The initial response and subsequent back and forth emails before I made the adapter purchase via PayPal were prompt and within a 5-6 hour window or less, which I think is about what the time difference is from me. I hope that me not receiving any order confirmation from ivini-apps is an oversight on their part. I'll just wait and see. I definitely want to use the BMWhat app with their BMWhat Bluetooth adapter so that I can see all of the parameters that the app offers on my Android phone when connected to my 335d.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #97
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335D Alpha Pappa View Post
I went thru amazon and order the BMWhat bluetooth and usb adapter. Got a confirmation from amazon and then an email from Avini when it shipped. Cost me $80 for both adapters and shipping costs. Had to wait about 3 weeks for it to arrive from the Fatherland.

Couldn't get the BT adapter to hook up to my phone. Problem is with my phone, Motorola POS uses BT 3.0 and BMWhat uses 4.0 so they wont talk to each other. The phone can see the adapter but that is it. Works great on my wife's samsung.

This adapter has no problems with Torque. Solving this problem by getting a 10" galaxy with a window mounting bracket so I can put a whole bank of Torque gauges on it.
I initially wanted to order the BMWhat Bluetooth Adapter, the USB-OTG adapter, and the USB-OBD cable that ivini-apps offers. Arian Avini told me via email that I didn't need the USB-OTG adapter and the USB-OBD cable because those two items will not work with my 2011 BMW 335d. He said that all I need is the BMWhat Bluetooth Adapter, so that is what I ordered from ivini-apps via PayPal. Hopefully they will send me confirmation info about my order and ship the item to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #98
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetBMW View Post
I initially wanted to order the BMWhat Bluetooth Adapter, the USB-OTG adapter, and the USB-OBD cable that ivini-apps offers. Arian Avini told me via email that I didn't need the USB-OTG adapter and the USB-OBD cable because those two items will not work with my 2011 BMW 335d. He said that all I need is the BMWhat Bluetooth Adapter, so that is what I ordered from ivini-apps via PayPal. Hopefully they will send me confirmation info about my order and ship the item to me.

I ordered the USB cable because I wasn't planning on doing the coding thru the phone. Would prefer to do it with a larger tablet. I will have to check to see if it works. If not, then I will karma it to another owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #99
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

+1. I like buying through Amazon.
      06-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #100
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetBMW View Post
Yozh, I think that I have, it's been a few days and no response. Perhaps they need more time to email me a confirmation of my order, payment, and shipping info. The initial response and subsequent back and forth emails before I made the adapter purchase via PayPal were prompt and within a 5-6 hour window or less, which I think is about what the time difference is from me. I hope that me not receiving any order confirmation from ivini-apps is an oversight on their part. I'll just wait and see. I definitely want to use the BMWhat app with their BMWhat Bluetooth adapter so that I can see all of the parameters that the app offers on my Android phone when connected to my 335d.
I got an email reply today from ivini-apps with shipping tracking information for my BMWhat Bluetooth adapter order that I placed and paid for 4 days ago. I expect that it will take a while for the adapter to arrive, which is ok. It will be nice to be able to monitor the engine parameters from my smartphone. I'm most interested in being able to view when a DPF regen is taking place.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #101
Stu In Blackpool
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 320D Xdrive

Garage List
Nice little review, I've just ordered this too... Hopefully it will be here by Tuesday.

G21 320D Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #102
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
... Couldn't get the BT adapter to hook up to my phone. Problem is with my phone, Motorola POS uses BT 3.0 and BMWhat uses 4.0 so they wont talk to each other...
You ruined my mood . I am waiting for my BT adapter as well (it takes a while I guess) and already purchased an android tablet (sale sale sale) which after checking comes with BT 3.0 (4.2.2 os) . Damn it. Anyways I will check the connection as well and report it back here but I guess it is destined to go on ebay.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #103
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

I ordered the Bluetooth adapter for my android tablet on May 18th. Amazon says it should be here between now and July 3rd. I got my tablet from amazon too, says it uses Bluetooth 4.0 I'll keep you posted on how well they work together once I get the obd2 to Bluetooth dongle.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

I have a generic WiFi obd2 adapter for my iPhone and it works great with the bmwhat app, just wish it had engine parameters like Android app.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #104
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

well good news is that my tablet with BT 3.0 (hisense 7 pro - 4.2 android) seems to work.
i was able to code digital speedometer and instant digital mpg gauge. so i guess its working.

also have torque app and switching between the two doesnt always work. probably need to disconnect BT first. a reboot seems to fix it
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #105
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

I'm sure this was discussed before; is there a list/documentation explaining what each of the parameters are?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #106
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

I got my BMWhat Bluetooth dongle today! It works great with my tablet. I just need to spend some time finding what parameters I want to monitor and what range of values to enter in. Then to train my brain to convert metric values to standard.......
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #107
Big_Daddy_38
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
New BMWhat iPhone update has engine parameter monitoring!!! It works. Can't find logging feature so already asked developer for it.

Last edited by Big_Daddy_38; 07-06-2014 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Fixed for clarity
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #108
Kjelly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_38
New BMWhat iPhone update has engine parameter monitoring!!! It works. Can't find logging feature so already asked developer for it.
That is great news! Thank you for the update. I've been waiting for the iPhone function, since I didn't want to buy an android tablet just for the car.

Have you tried the parameter monitoring yet?
      07-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #109
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Does anyone know if the BMWhat BT adapter will drain the car's battery if left in place? Thanks....
      07-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #110
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
Does anyone know if the BMWhat BT adapter will drain the car's battery if left in place? Thanks....
If you don't see the module light go off after locking the car (wait 2 mins), then yes, over time it will drain the battery.

For some BMWs it does turn off. On mine, it stay on.
Appreciate 0