E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ABS pump question

01-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
GAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

ABS pump question

I got the 3 lights about a month ago and got the new pump in the mail today. For swapping the old pump with the new one, can I just remove the crews holding the module and the pump together, remove the pump and put the new one on without removing the module?
That way I don't have to get the brake lines removed and don't lose fluid?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Did you get the codes pulled and confirm that it is in fact a faulty ABS hydro unit(pump)? Mine ended up just being an ABS sensor that had went bad.

As far as replacing the hydro unit goes, you're actually gonna have to bleed the brakes at two corners of the car while depressing the pedal with a pedal pusher or just having someone sit in the car and hold it down. The reason you don't have to bleed all 4 corners is because you're just bleeding the brakes to relieve pressure built up in the system. When you're pulling the lines off of the pump, have something to cap the lines with to prevent excessive fluid loss. Once you've installed the new one and gotten all the lines back together, you're gonna want to fill the brake fluid reservoir to the "full" line then bleed the brakes a little. After you're done with that, you're gonna have to bleed the pump which is done by cycling the abs system. There's a "proper" way to do it, but there's also a free way to do it without having to have what I can only guess is a very pricy BMW specialty tool. What you have to do is find a slippery/loose surface and romp on the brakes. This will set the ABS system off and bleed it. After you've done that you're gonna want to bleed the brakes one final time, and you're all done!
Active Autowerke Stage II | MMW CSv2 Exhaust | MMW Catless Headers | BC Racing BR Extreme Low Coilovers | custom adjustable rear suspension links | 19" Hyperblack CSL's | M3 style front | trim wrapped in brushed steel vinyl | Slightly smoked tail lights with clear reverse lights | factory xenons

Appreciate 0