E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LCI Xenon Housing question

12-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
seanm135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335xi

LCI Xenon Housing question

On my E90 LCI with adaptive bi-xenons, the shroud behind one of the angel eyes dislodged on the passenger side. It is now angled forward and is blocking the top portion of my low beam. See pictures below (sorry for crappy quality, it was dark out and I was in a rush)...

So what are my options? After doing some searching I know splitting the housing is difficult but not impossibly as a DIY, that OEM housings are expensive brand-new, and that used housings are scarce.

Is my best bet trying to split them and fix this or trying to find a used one on the forums or from a junk yard?

Last edited by seanm135; 12-02-2016 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
seanm135
Private First Class
Rep

so looking around some more it seems there are some used single housings for around $500... if I decide to go that route, I obviously would have nothing to lose trying to split the housing myself.

Is there a forum member or forum sponsor shop that we know of who will split the housing? I found 888Concepts but then realized he stopped taking orders and vanished. Now looking into OSS Designs and ONEighty NYC... thoughts...

Last edited by seanm135; 12-02-2016 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
robbiss7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI, F10 LCI

Try lightwerkz in New Jersey. While they are opening up the headlights might as well upgrade the angel eyes and clear lenses on the projectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

I've split and repaired several of these. PM me if you want it done.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #5
bhoang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

will keep my eye on this tread. exactly how mine is right now

can you see where its dislodged? is it a clip of some sort? a socket?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
The problem is that these aren't secured with black butyl adhesive that can be heated up so they require some more aggressive methods. Which means that splitting these open for your very first time can be a nightmare. Most have used a dremel to cut the lens right where it mounts to the black housing. Some have said that they've been able to remove the lens with some sort of acetone. Personally the acetone method didn't work at all. Ultimately I wound up sourcing good condition, used headlights and called it a day.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
seanm135
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoang View Post
will keep my eye on this tread. exactly how mine is right now

can you see where its dislodged? is it a clip of some sort? a socket?
It looks like it just clicks in but I'm not totally sure... either way, if I can get the housing apart it seems like it's easily fixable. ONEighty in NYC quoted me $200+shipping to split and repair this one headlight which isn't bad at all.
      12-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
With the headlight off the car I was able to fix this problem, the projector fell out of its socket, you just have to put it back in. (unless it's damaged)

It seems you have the same problem and it's the top right (if looking behind headlight) mounting point has popped out.

I was able to do it without taking the headlight apart.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
seanm135
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZuc View Post
With the headlight off the car I was able to fix this problem, the projector fell out of its socket, you just have to put it back in. (unless it's damaged)

It seems you have the same problem and it's the top right (if looking behind headlight) mounting point has popped out.

I was able to do it without taking the headlight apart.
Even with the headlight off of the car, how do you reach this shroud to pop it back in place? remove the bulbs from the back and go in that way? that really doesn't seem like it would work to me... more details please
      12-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm135 View Post
Even with the headlight off of the car, how do you reach this shroud to pop it back in place? remove the bulbs from the back and go in that way? that really doesn't seem like it would work to me... more details please
Your issue is the shroud only is tilted forward or the whole projector beam?

If it is the projector beam what I said will work.

I used gravity to make the lense sit like normal (requires you to face the headlight to sky)

Using your fingers and the adjustment nut you have to get the projector back into its joint.

If I had pictures from when I had the last headlight apart I'd show you.

If I was you go take off the wheel, and take a look with the front plastic shield off so you can see the whole headlight assembly. Then remove the huge cap that allows you change your xenon bulb. Take a look at the projector you should be able to move it freely and see if the hook the projector is off. (identify which part of the projector is causing the issue)

I may have a spare passenger side adaptive xenon around if you're not too far from me.

EDIT:
Just saw it's only the shroud. (and yes removing bulbs just to be safe, even the corner LED.)
If you have tiny hands or get someone with tiny hands, the shroud just clicks into place but make sure your sit it properly. You can use somewhat of the same process ^ to get it done.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #11
seanm135
Private First Class
Rep

thanks man! I'll give it a go, my wife's hand may do the trick hahaha
      12-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #12
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

There's no way your getting hands in there...

The only way I can see this being fixed is to get a coat hanger wire, wrap the end in heat shrink and bend a small hook on the end so you can fish it inside the housing and pull the shroud back onto the projector. Even with the end wrapped in heatshrink, the finish on the shroud will most likely be damaged. It's a very light, chrome coating

Of course of the retaining clips for the shroud are broken, you're SOL
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was incorrect, it is extremely difficult to reach the shroud itself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
seanm135
Private First Class
Rep

bummer... thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I'm either gonna have someone split them or try and find a single used housing
      12-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #15
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

It is strange that the whole shroud would fall off. They are quite well "clicked" onto the projector. Potentially, shroud mounting leg(s) may have a crack. Did you hit a decent pothole?

There is one unproven theoretical way. It is possible to remove the projector without taking apart the headlight. Shroud will stay inside. Hooking the shroud back onto the projector as you are inserting it back is the challenge. But without the projector, you can be creative how you wish to hook it up. Ex.: fishing line...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #16
seanm135
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
It is strange that the whole shroud would fall off. They are quite well "clicked" onto the projector. Potentially, shroud mounting leg(s) may have a crack. Did you hit a decent pothole?

There is one unproven theoretical way. It is possible to remove the projector without taking apart the headlight. Shroud will stay inside. Hooking the shroud back onto the projector as you are inserting it back is the challenge. But without the projector, you can be creative how you wish to hook it up. Ex.: fishing line...
I thought this is a decently common problem? I've seen other people inquiring about the same issue.

Anyway, I actually bought the car several months ago like this; I didn't notice it until after I bought it which obviously sucks because I could've gotten the price down. It really is barely noticeable which is good at least but it's bugging me now that I know about it
      02-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #17
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm135 View Post
I thought this is a decently common problem? I've seen other people inquiring about the same issue.

Anyway, I actually bought the car several months ago like this; I didn't notice it until after I bought it which obviously sucks because I could've gotten the price down. It really is barely noticeable which is good at least but it's bugging me now that I know about it
OP have you resolved this issue? If you have, which method did you choose? And Are you lowered at all?

Reason I ask is bc I am lowered on h&r race (i springs) and Koni yellows and I have a similar problem that I haven't investigated completely. For about 3-6 months though I was riding on the (i/rwd) h&r race springs and stock struts/shocks in my xdrive. Whay I've noticed lately is that my left light actually shakes while I'm driving. It's usually when I'm at a steady speed of 45 mph or more so I don't know if it's my shroud or my projector itself or both. Planning on splitting my lights sometime soon so I'll let you guys know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #18
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Update: fixed the issue by taking headlight off of cars it seemed to be that the headlights height adjuster has an arm with a knob that sits in joint that will allow you to move the headlights projector up and down. On mine the knob at the end of the arm actually fell outside of the joint. I managed to unscrew the shroud and squeeze my hands in between, I then put a long flat head in against the headlight itself and managed to pop the round knob back into the adjustment joint.

Honestly felt like I was going to snap something but got it to pop back in. I was ready to buy a new housing anyways so I had nothing to lose. Both arm with knob and joint aren't as tight as they used to be but all and all it's a night and day difference.

I actually had OEM 4300 K bulbs that were worn out and starting to turn pink. It wasn't until I replaced them with Morimoto 6500k bulbs that I realized how much the protector was pointing straight down. Eventually I will crack them open to do a retrofit and fully repair the projector.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #19
seanm135
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinnhogue7 View Post
Update: fixed the issue by taking headlight off of cars it seemed to be that the headlights height adjuster has an arm with a knob that sits in joint that will allow you to move the headlights projector up and down. On mine the knob at the end of the arm actually fell outside of the joint. I managed to unscrew the shroud and squeeze my hands in between, I then put a long flat head in against the headlight itself and managed to pop the round knob back into the adjustment joint.

Honestly felt like I was going to snap something but got it to pop back in. I was ready to buy a new housing anyways so I had nothing to lose. Both arm with knob and joint aren't as tight as they used to be but all and all it's a night and day difference.

I actually had OEM 4300 K bulbs that were worn out and starting to turn pink. It wasn't until I replaced them with Morimoto 6500k bulbs that I realized how much the protector was pointing straight down. Eventually I will crack them open to do a retrofit and fully repair the projector.
Hey man... sorry I meant to respond to your first post but forgot. I never did get it resolved and yes my car is lowered on BC coilovers; my guess is that hitting a pothole lowered on 19s caused the housing to pop loose at some time. I just haven't had the chance to pull the headlight off cus I'm not sure if I have the guts to split them myself or just send them to OneEighty, etc.

Do you have any pictures to help show what you're talking about in the second post?