E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Blackout Chrome

05-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
TopEndCC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM e90 Pre-Lci n52

Blackout Chrome

Hello All. First Post.

I wanted to know what my options are for blacking out the chrome accent around my window trim.

- Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

I would say you have four options to choose from:

1) Buy the Shadow Line Trim from BMW and replace your chrome trim
2) Have your body shop paint your existing trim gloss black
3) Purchase gloss black vinyl and wrap it
4) Plasti dip the trim (will be matte black)

#1 is highly expensive $1000+
#2 is a bit expensive as well but cheaper than purchasing all new trim
I would recommend #3 as it is reversible and the best "bang for your buck"
#4 just don't do it.... lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzequielR View Post

And your reasoning is because?

I blacked out my window trim, side mirror caps, front kidney grills, and badge with Plasti-Dip. Came out nice, all it takes is some patience.

As for OP, Plasti-Dip is your cheapest bet, but the quality of how it will look completely depends on the amount of time and patience you're willing to put in. Rush it and it will look terrible, put the time in and you can't beat the price.

Otherwise Vinyl at a local shop will be your next option. A local shop for me quoted $180, not overly expensive but also not cheap.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

Yeah don't do plasti-dip. That stuff is not nice looking. Paint or new trim would be best but vinyl will be pretty close.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld
Quote:

And your reasoning is because?

I blacked out my window trim, side mirror caps, front kidney grills, and badge with Plasti-Dip. Came out nice, all it takes is some patience.
I have nothing against those who use plasti dip on their cars, but I have had horrible experiences with it. It may be due to my inexperience with the product, but I rather save others from what could be a potential headache.

I apologize if I have some how offended you or any others, that was not my intention.

Please share your technique for the OP if he decides to go that route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
my 2 feets are currently on the ground, are they ruined? haha
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
TopEndCC
First Lieutenant
Rep

My friend owns a body shop and he said that painting the trim would be a problem because of chipping, that after a while the trim doesn't look clean.

I suppose the gloss vinyl would be a nice look. Anyone have any links to someone who has wrap on their car?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

PM me your email and I'll send some over. Had mine wrapped a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopEndCC
My friend owns a body shop and he said that painting the trim would be a problem because of chipping, that after a while the trim doesn't look clean.

I suppose the gloss vinyl would be a nice look. Anyone have any links to someone who has wrap on their car?
My window trim is wrapped in 3m black gloss vinyl.
You can see it in my videos.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
TopEndCC
First Lieutenant
Rep

@335iAP Messaged.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
supergoat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan

Either paint or buy them.

Plasti-dip never looks good.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
I have nothing against those who use plasti dip on their cars, but I have had horrible experiences with it. It may be due to my inexperience with the product, but I rather save others from what could be a potential headache.

I apologize if I have some how offended you or any others, that was not my intention.

Please share your technique for the OP if he decides to go that route!
No worries mate, I wasn't offended. It's just that to me when people dismiss one option without giving a reason, it seems a little unfair to the OP & biased. My apologies if I may have come off a little harsh though.

However, as aforementioned, Plasti-Dip can be pretty hit-or-miss, as it can be pretty tricky to apply it in a satisfying way.

Do it inefficiently and it will look terrible. Do it correctly however, via proper masking of tape, taking your time applying multiple coats, proper spraying motion, and don't rush the peeling stage and you'll be quite impressed by the results.

Why do I recommend it? Affordable & when done right, doesn't doesn't come off as cheap. Reversible and can easily be cleaned up (don't leave it on for a few days and let it bake on from the sun though--in terms of the over-spray mist, that's a pain to get off).

Patience is the key.

Most people when using Plasti-Dip seem to be under the impression that it's some sort of miracle in a can. Well that level of quality can only be obtained when putting some work into it. Yeah, I'll admit when I first tried it I wasn't enthused about the results, but I knew it could look better.

So I peeled it off and tried again--changing my spray range, motion, and overall simply being more patient with it. And I have no complains about the end result for me.

If you're into the Matte look, then for the price, there's really no alternative.

Last edited by YouAreMyWorld; 05-06-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
TopEndCC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone here know a place in New Jersey I could take my car to have the trim wrapped, that seems to be the best option from what you all have been saying?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I would plastidip. I did the vinyl, and it looked good, but when I took it off a year later it made a freakin mess of sticky residue that was incredibly difficult to get off. Some of it came off clean, but not all. I spent hours trying to remove this stuff and there's still some on there in the tighter corners. For that reason alone I'd do plastidip
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #14
skrelnik
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

The best option is to buy the shadowline trim from Tischer BMW at getbmwparts.com

They sell the whole kit for $380 plus shipping you can install this yourself or go to a paint/body shop. The paint/body shop charged me $175.

DO NOT PUT PLASTIDIP ON IT, GUARANTEED TO LOOK LIKE CRAP.

From their website:

Completely change the look of your E90/92 by replacing the stock chrome exterior window trims. E90 sedan kit includes l/r upper window trims, l/r front door lower window trims, and l/r rear door lower window trims. E92 coupe kit includes l/r upper window trims, l/r front door lower window trims, l/r rear door lower window trims, and l/r under mirror trims. *New chrome trim kit option for E90's - includes all chrome trim. **Flatrate Shipping - see Shipping Policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopEndCC View Post
Hello All. First Post.

I wanted to know what my options are for blacking out the chrome accent around my window trim.

- Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #15
TopEndCC
First Lieutenant
Rep

I contacted a couple shops in my area about having the trim wrapped for which I am still awaiting prices. If the prices are comparable to buy the Shadowline then I may just go that route.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #16
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

$21 in gloss vinyl from http://shadowlinetrim.com/purchase.html and two hours of your time...
      05-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Not understanding all the hate for Plasti-Dip lol. I have mine dipped with black with gloss on it and the dip protector which changes the consistency of plasti-dip from rubber to more of a harder plastic like feeling that doesn't scratch. I like it but honestly it is a pain in the ass to prep the area since you'll be covering the paint and windows up so you don't get over spray that you have to annoyingly take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
$21 in gloss vinyl from http://shadowlinetrim.com/purchase.html and two hours of your time...
I tried this as well before plasti-dipping. This was more of a pain to do honestly especially with the curve towards the end of the car. But I have a coupe so not sure how it is on sedans. Was able to get a nice smooth install up to the curve then it all went to hell. Probably easier with a bigger piece.
Current 2008 Bmw 328xi Coupe Sport N51 /w 3 stage IM | VMR 710 w/ Conti DWS | AA Tune Stage 2 | AA Signature Exhaust | Red Cyba scoops | Lux V4 | Euro-box mod w/ Silicone intake hose | Eibach pro kit w/ Bilstein Sport | Carbon Fiber Hood powerdome | Mtech Bumper w/ Akyrim CF lip
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #18
Bigboost_E92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI

Just because you use plasti dip, doesn't mean its going to be matte or flat black. They sell a glossifier that helps and looks decent in my opinion. Here's a pic of the difference and what the glossifier looks like.
Attached Images

05-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #19
HouseN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 coupe

Plastidip has came along way. They now have a high gloss. watch this video for yourself. Is this really Plastidip? Skip to 3:30
      05-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #20
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseN54 View Post
Plastidip has came along way. They now have a high gloss. watch this video for yourself. Is this really Plastidip? Skip to 3:30
Whhaaa? Ok, based off that video, color me impressed...
      05-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #21
skrelnik
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I have plasti-dip on the part of my front bumper, which was formerly chrome. It serves it purpose perfectly, durable as well since it takes a beating from rocks/debris. No complaints, but for the door trim, the oem looks great. Its a pay for what you get thing, the wallet plays a big factor as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Krish View Post
Not understanding all the hate for Plasti-Dip lol. I have mine dipped with black with gloss on it and the dip protector which changes the consistency of plasti-dip from rubber to more of a harder plastic like feeling that doesn't scratch. I like it but honestly it is a pain in the ass to prep the area since you'll be covering the paint and windows up so you don't get over spray that you have to annoyingly take off.

I tried this as well before plasti-dipping. This was more of a pain to do honestly especially with the curve towards the end of the car. But I have a coupe so not sure how it is on sedans. Was able to get a nice smooth install up to the curve then it all went to hell. Probably easier with a bigger piece.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #22
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i 6MT

Is it possible to remove the trim pieces to dip them? I dipped my wheels and trying to get off the overspray is a total nightmare. Would not do again.
Appreciate 0