E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Tinted Windshield?

04-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Made an appointment with a local tinter to probably get Air Blue 80 installed this Thursday. The tinter I talked to had it installed on his own car after already having ceramic tint everywhere else (as I do now) and said it made a noticeable difference heat-wise, and that the cut line from leaving a corner untinted to handle stickers is barely noticeable. He's offered to let me check out his car before deciding, but I think as long as the aesthetic difference between the tinted and untinted areas of the windshield don't bother me I'm going to go for it, though I'd leave each of the bottom corners untinted since I have other stickers in that corner. Stay tuned!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #24
BMVeh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

One thing u need to think about... Tint has to be very wet when applied... The rain sensor is there on the inside.... How r u going to protect that ?
      05-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVeh View Post
One thing u need to think about... Tint has to be very wet when applied... The rain sensor is there on the inside.... How r u going to protect that ?
I asked about that. Apparently they cover the entire dash and the bottom edge where the vents are with absorbing cloths. I think the sensor down there is the light sensor though for automatic headlights, though; I believe the rain sensor is the one on the back of the rearview mirror?

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
middleagedhippie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I just wish they had this stuff years ago. Never again will I own and drive a car without a windshield tint while living in the South. I actually get cold with my airconditioner going at 72 or so on the lowest blow setting, and the temperature outside according to the computer, is about 85. Its great to not feel the heat on my hands or arms from sunlight streaming through the winsdhield. The light is still streaming, its just not hot.

I would also think any professional installer takes care that water does not leak behind the dash in any car these days. Almost all cars, even the cheapest, have all kinds of electronic gizmos.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #27
BMVeh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Right..but the rain sensor is actually stuck to the windshield... correct me if i am wrong..but that needs to be covered up?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #28
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right..but the rain sensor is actually stuck to the windshield... correct me if i am wrong..but that needs to be covered up?
Probably, and it sounds like they do that. But again, I think the sensor at the bottom of the windshield is the ambient light sensor and the rain sensor is on the back of the rearview mirror; or do I have it backwards?

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #29
BMVeh
First Lieutenant
Rep

this is what is attatched to the windshield... i believe this is the rain sensor as it is attached..

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this is what is attatched to the windshield... i believe this is the rain sensor as it is attached..
You're right, I was thinking of the same thing but was working from memory and forgot that it was pressed up against the windshield rather than just embedded in the back of the mirror housing. But given that the sensor is housed in a plastic casing attached to the windshield, I assume the tinters will just cut the film to go around it. But I'll let you know for sure on Thursday assuming I go through with it, which is dependent only on me being ok with how the transition between the tinted and untinted area looks; fortunately the tinter's car has it, so I'll be able to see it beforehand.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #31
BMVeh
First Lieutenant
Rep

i would def go thru with it.. You will love it.. if not its not you cant take it off..

Just to be safe.. i would like tape or wrap that sensor up somehow.. Let us know how it goes. Im going Saturday to have mine done..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #32
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHATX View Post
Thanks for the input! Glad to know someone has done this and is happy with it. How's the glare and heat reduction? any issues with glare and viability at night when driving?
No glare, heat reduction is a lot better. You don't feel the sun pounding down on you in the summer. Car still gets hot when its sitting out in direct sun light, but cools down a lot faster.

No issues with glare or visibility at night.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #33
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just got Air Blue 80 installed. When I got into the car, if it weren't for the cutouts made for the stickers on my windshield I don't think I'd have noticed any difference at all visually. With the cutouts, obviously the windshield appears slightly bluish by comparison, but like I said, not enough that you'd notice if you were able to get the whole windshield done (in TX windshield stickers are required and it's not recommended to put stickers on tint). Viewed from the outside it does indeed just look like the windshield has a natural slightly blue tinge from the factory, very much like Mercedes AMG cars.

The only mistake I made was asking for same-size cutouts on both corners of the windshield; I have a BMW CCA sticker and a parking complex sticker on the passenger side which take up a larger area than the driver's side stickers. The tinters said they usually cut within 1/4" of any existing stickers, but I thought it might be better for aesthetics if they were matching, plus it would leave room for possible larger driver's side stickers in the future. It wasn't until after the installation that it occurred to me that I could always have asked for the cutout to be enlarged later if needed, so I should've gone with the smallest possible cutout for my current needs. Oh well, the extra vertical space on the driver's side cutout doesn't really bother me and I'm sure I'll stop noticing within a day or two just as I no longer see the stickers there.

It's obviously still too early for performance impressions, but I parked on the roof of my parking garage today, I'll see how the car feels when I get in after it's been out in direct sun for 5+ hours.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #34
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's my update after having left my car out in 90-degree weather in the shade for 5 hours (accidentally picked the wrong parking spot for the test) and then leaving it in still 90-degree weather in direct sunlight for 2 hours.

I have a black interior. Before I had either tint or Air Blue 80, after having sat in those conditions my car would be roasting on the inside; I would break a sweat almost immediately, my aluminum trim was uncomfortable to the touch, and my seat belt buckle could burn. After just getting 35% Pinnacle Ceramic tint all around, the inside dropped to very warm under those conditions -- not particularly pleasant, but nowhere near unbearably hot like before. When I got into my car these two times today now that I have Air Blue, my car was only slightly warm, barely any warmer than outside. In fact I didn't even consider it essential to roll the windows down or turn on the AC, as I almost always did even after I'd gotten tint.

I'd say that if you live in a hot climate, Air Blue is worth the cost, especially for those who ever need to park out in the open. Obviously a folding windshield cover would be an alternative there, but frankly I'm too lazy to deal with that and wouldn't want to keep it in my car, and I also like the idea that Air Blue is helping to protect my interior even while I'm out driving on hot days.

Props to Sunbusters out here in Austin for a quick and clean install -- they did my tint and VentureShield before this and they've done a great job once again!

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #35
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: e30 325i

I got my windshield done and its a beautiful product. Like the others, I also have black interior and it was extremely hot, the Air Blue 80 made a lot better for sure.

I also found the TXDPS Window Tint Standard and according to the my friend, he said to have the standard readily available cause many of the Inspection centers aren't aware and they have failed a couple of his customers. My friend ended up giving away the standards with their receipt.

Here is the link and its number 5 under windshield:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...windowTint.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #36
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchcky View Post
Does your Lumar dealer friend have any print on this? I'd be interested, but according to the DPS website, this is still not allowed.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...windowTint.htm
Actually if you look at the link you have provided, it states that it is allowed under windshield and scroll down to number 5.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #37
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
So here's a question: if you didn't get the air blue and just used a reflective sun screen (folding/collapsible) when parked, would you get the same effect? I use one in my car and it makes a noticeable difference in interior temperature, plus it also blocks UV and other harmful rays. It's just not as convenient, but then my inspection/registration stickers don't come into the equation. I do usually remove my R2D2 and sometmes my portable NAV, but again, it's just a minor inconvenience. Of course, the sun shield has to be removed when driving, but I've never noticed any discomfort from the windshield area on long trips. It would probably allow the A/C to operate at a lower speed.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #38
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
So here's a question: if you didn't get the air blue and just used a reflective sun screen (folding/collapsible) when parked, would you get the same effect? I use one in my car and it makes a noticeable difference in interior temperature, plus it also blocks UV and other harmful rays. It's just not as convenient, but then my inspection/registration stickers don't come into the equation. I do usually remove my R2D2 and sometmes my portable NAV, but again, it's just a minor inconvenience. Of course, the sun shield has to be removed when driving, but I've never noticed any discomfort from the windshield area on long trips. It would probably allow the A/C to operate at a lower speed.
I suspect that a sun screen would probably be even more effective when parked since it's blocking ALL light: UV, infrared, and even visible. I agree that Air Blue will likely allow the AC to operate under a lighter load, and as I mentioned, the ability to protect my interior from the ravages of high temperature and sunlight even on the road appeals to me.

However, if I had a radar detector or portable nav system stuck to the windshield, I might not have gotten Air Blue because I'd have worried about what would happen when I upgraded those devices to versions that used different mounts. If the new mount was smaller, I'd end up with an odd-looking untinted area around the new mount. If the mount was larger, I guess I could take the car back to have the tinters enlarge the untinted area to accommodate the new mount, but that's a hassle.

I'll see what I think after having had it for a while. Thus far I'm not thinking it's some sort of godsend, but then again I've had it less than 24 hours and we're still not into the hot summer days.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #39
middleagedhippie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I use a bean bag base for my gps unit. Sits on the dash. Much better than on the windshield imho. Me epasd was simply put right on the film. No problems there either.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #40
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I use suction cups for the detector on the upper windshield, but I stuck one of those flat discs that come with the unit where the windshield pillar reaches the dashboard, and I stick the GPS to that. I've got both units wired in. I wouldn't think it'd be necessary to have a cutout for suction cups once the film's adhesive had cured completely. Does the Air Blue block laser/radar signals?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #41
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I use suction cups for the detector on the upper windshield, but I stuck one of those flat discs that come with the unit where the windshield pillar reaches the dashboard, and I stick the GPS to that. I've got both units wired in. I wouldn't think it'd be necessary to have a cutout for suction cups once the film's adhesive had cured completely. Does the Air Blue block laser/radar signals?
You're probably right about the suction cups, as long as the holder has a mechanism to release the vacuum short of you yanking on it (either a pull tab or a loosening ring like TomTom's holders use). Air Blue is ceramic tint so it should not interfere with radar/laser signals, but not having one myself I can't confirm that.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #42
BMVeh
First Lieutenant
Rep

got mine done today.. he did a very good job.. covered up the sensor as well:

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #43
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep

Ok, I went to get my inspection and the inspection center was not aware of any window film allowed in the windshield. I showed him where it states in the TX DPS website and he still will not do it. My friend gave me the number to the guy in charge of the Window tinting in the state of Texas only. Here is the number just in case you run into any issues. 512-424-2995 (Romnie).
Appreciate 0