E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Question about changing brakes!

10-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
JLSoccerDOTcom
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 323i

Question about changing brakes!

Hi,

I have a 2009 323i and I have a brake light on my dash along with the car hoist warning on the display. If I want to service my brakes completely is there anything other than brake pads/rotors that I would need to change? I did a google search and found that there is a sensor. Is this a requirement? Lastly, what about brake fluid? My car is currently at 150,000kms.

My brakes started making rubbing/grinding noises but my service appointment isn't until next week. Would the vehicle be safe to drive until then? I don't want to wait if it is not. I assume that the worst case scenario would be that my rotors are getting damaged, but please enlighten me if I am incorrect.

Would you recommend getting original parts through BMW or are after market parts just as good? Any recommendations for parts?

I appreciate any response. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
turo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.40]
2024 BMW M2  [9.00]
2018 BMW 340i XDrive  [10.00]
You're probably going to want to change the sensors as well. I'd also flush the brake fluid if you've never done it.

Aftermarket brakes can be excellent as well. You'll have to decide your balance between braking performance, noise, and dust. Do a search on this sub-forum and you'll find LOTS of info.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
JLSoccerDOTcom
Registered
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turo View Post
You're probably going to want to change the sensors as well. I'd also flush the brake fluid if you've never done it.

Aftermarket brakes can be excellent as well. You'll have to decide your balance between braking performance, noise, and dust. Do a search on this sub-forum and you'll find LOTS of info.
Thanks for the response. So, would you say the vehicle is still okay to drive even though there is a slight grinding sound? Am I just damaging the rotors by driving? Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSoccerDOTcom View Post
Thanks for the response. So, would you say the vehicle is still okay to drive even though there is a slight grinding sound? Am I just damaging the rotors by driving? Thanks again!
Dangerous. You may not stop.
If you are hearing grinding you are into the pad backing plate.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

You are also destroying your rotors. They will need to be swapped now. You're supposed to change the cheap pads before the metal hits metal and grinds groves in your rotors. Once they make the grinding noise it's almost always too late any you triple your repair cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
JLSoccerDOTcom
Registered
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight. Will get them changed asap!
Appreciate 0