E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Picture Request: Pre LCI E92 335XI on Koni Yellows and H&R Race Springs

03-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
949Banker
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 JB M3 Vert | E92 AW 335Xi

Picture Request: Pre LCI E92 335XI on Koni Yellows and H&R Race Springs

Not really buying on the idea of getting KW's again due to an unfortunate situation with them on a previous BMW. And with the lack of options of coilover manufacturers for the AWD segment, I might need to settle on getting shocks and springs instead. From my research here, it sounds like the Koni Yellows and H&R Race Springs combo might be my best bet. I don't care much for the ride aspect since the roads here in Iowa are horrible, either way my ride will be uncomfortable. I'm definitely going for the equal wheel gap of the fronts and rears and am taking steps in making this a somewhat flush (not HF) approach for the wive's car. I wouldn't a minor frontal rake.

Would any of you gentlemen, be so kind to post sideview pic(s) of your e92xi rides with Koni Yellows and H&R Race Springs? Much appreciated in advance!

03 Jet Black E46 M3 Vert || 08 Alpine White E92 335xi
MFest || TheSHOP || STM || Southbay Autohaus || EAS
AG Forged || StilundMacht || BavX || Hardware Motorsport || Team Leche
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
I'm not sure too many have done H&R race springs with Koni Yellows... It seems like most people either do just the springs or many have done the Eibach/Bilstein combination as your research has probably already found. The only xi car I recall having done the race springs posted a few pictures and wasn't heard from again on his thread, despite people asking for follow up.

For near the same cost you can get H&R Coilovers, as I'm sure you already know.

Good luck with your decision and I can relate to the roads in IA- I got my '08 e92 335xi from Kimberly in Davenport.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
949Banker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
I'm not sure too many have done H&R race springs with Koni Yellows... It seems like most people either do just the springs or many have done the Eibach/Bilstein combination as your research has probably already found. The only xi car I recall having done the race springs posted a few pictures and wasn't heard from again on his thread, despite people asking for follow up.

Good luck with your decision and I can relate to the roads in IA- I got my '08 e92 335xi from Kimberly in Davenport.
And you're all the way in Arizona now? Talk about extremes! Anyway, thanks very much on your input. I think I may have made found the solution! If it's not on the forums, you go directly to the sources. Just touched base with one of my old friends that just so happens to be one of the big guys at Megan Racing. I told him if you guys are mass producing coilover kits for Nissan Quest family vans, I can easily get you guys much more demand than that with the e9x xi market!

Imagine this...$999 Euro Sport Coilover Kit by Megan Racing that also comes with Camber Plates!?!? Who wouldn't want to add another $90 for that kit comparing to a Shock/Spring combo? Anyway, now I gotta find Megan Racing a stock xi sport suspension set for them to reverse engineer and then go get the XI boys to sign up to a non-commitment list of those interested in making this coilover/camber plate purchase!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
I'm inn the same boat. Have h&r springs in the garage... close to going with the koni sports....was holding out for KW but getting impatient.

Small part of me wants to just throw on the springs but I know that is the wrong choice. 08 xi sedan here.

Last price on konis was $680.

Is that setup known for rake???
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
aadum
Second Lieutenant
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30

i have H&R only and car is too stiff as Xi shocks are too compressed now because of their lenght....Wait for your Koni's
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949Banker View Post
Not really buying on the idea of getting KW's again due to an unfortunate situation with them on a previous BMW. And with the lack of options of coilover manufacturers for the AWD segment, I might need to settle on getting shocks and springs instead. From my research here, it sounds like the Koni Yellows and H&R Race Springs combo might be my best bet. I don't care much for the ride aspect since the roads here in Iowa are horrible, either way my ride will be uncomfortable. I'm definitely going for the equal wheel gap of the fronts and rears and am taking steps in making this a somewhat flush (not HF) approach for the wive's car. I wouldn't a minor frontal rake.

Would any of you gentlemen, be so kind to post sideview pic(s) of your e92xi rides with Koni Yellows and H&R Race Springs? Much appreciated in advance!
What was your unfortunate situation?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
casualsurfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Koni yellows are on sale at Tire Rack. Just ordered those plus Eibachs. Will post pics as soon as they're installed next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
949Banker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335sRus View Post
What was your unfortunate situation?
i had v2's and bought it straight from an authorized dealer (won't mention the name). anyway, one of the front shocks gave in after 5000 miles of usage. was told that there would be an unlimited lifetime warranty on them. it wasn't the case even though i was to provide original receipt and also the $150 deductible at hand. i can say that i may be 1 in a million cases that had a horrible experience with KW and majority of people have high regards with them and their performance. not knocking on that at all, but unfortunately i was that 1 in a million and wouldn't wanna go through that again.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949Banker
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post

And you're all the way in Arizona now? Talk about extremes! Anyway, thanks very much on your input. I think I may have made found the solution! If it's not on the forums, you go directly to the sources. Just touched base with one of my old friends that just so happens to be one of the big guys at Megan Racing. I told him if you guys are mass producing coilover kits for Nissan Quest family vans, I can easily get you guys much more demand than that with the e9x xi market!

Imagine this...$999 Euro Sport Coilover Kit by Megan Racing that also comes with Camber Plates!?!? Who wouldn't want to add another $90 for that kit comparing to a Shock/Spring combo? Anyway, now I gotta find Megan Racing a stock xi sport suspension set for them to reverse engineer and then go get the XI boys to sign up to a non-commitment list of those interested in making this coilover/camber plate purchase!
Ya... The shop I take my car to said that I'm the first xi they've worked on- can't imagine why

Sounds like a cool project- if it is seen through, I'll buy them as well. Seems like the best value option, provided that the quality is up to par.
Appreciate 0