E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Just want to share something weird.

11-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
delacruzAAe90
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Just want to share something weird.

So Today I Started having the headlight problem (flickering -> shut off). So I started thinking what could be the cause of it :

When I was driving to my GFs place (30minutes ago) I kept my fog lights on and kept my headlights off. I had my iPhone charger running all along and when I unplugged it and turn my headlights on while I was driving it stopped flickering? And was actually staying on!?!?! I'm just thinking are there any connection to the centre console charger and headlights!?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
delacruzAAe90
Rep

Nvm guys... HID problem is still there -_- WTH IS IT!?!?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

On an 06 model, HID FAIL
      11-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
delacruzAAe90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS
On an 06 model, HID FAIL
I'm getting frustrated cause I really don't wanna bring it to the dealership but I did find a link? I'll post and ask people for confirmation!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
delacruzAAe90
Rep

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=391682

I found this link in google! Anyone care to confirm?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacruzAAe90 View Post
So Today I Started having the headlight problem (flickering -> shut off). So I started thinking what could be the cause of it :

When I was driving to my GFs place (30minutes ago) I kept my fog lights on and kept my headlights off. I had my iPhone charger running all along and when I unplugged it and turn my headlights on while I was driving it stopped flickering? And was actually staying on!?!?! I'm just thinking are there any connection to the centre console charger and headlights!?
I'm a little confused about the situation.

Do you have an aftermarket HID kit in your halogen reflector headlights? Or an aftermarket HID kit in some aftermarket "projector" headlights, like the DEPO's?

If you have an HID kit in your halogen headlights:
1. take them out, because you're blinding everyone else on the road and actually decreasing your nighttime vision by having so much light in the foreground (bright light on the ground/in air in front of you-->pupils close up to reduce perceived brightness-->reduced long-distance vision). That or get a real bixenon projector retrofitted into your halogen headlights.
2. It sounds likely that you have not coded out errors on your car, which would explain the intermittent performance.

If you have the OEM bixenon headlights:
1. Check all your connections for lose connectors/corrosion/etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
delacruzAAe90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157
Quote:
Originally Posted by delacruzAAe90 View Post

I'm a little confused about the situation.

Do you have an aftermarket HID kit in your halogen reflector headlights? Or an aftermarket HID kit in some aftermarket "projector" headlights, like the DEPO's?

If you have an HID kit in your halogen headlights:
1. take them out, because you're blinding everyone else on the road and actually decreasing your nighttime vision by having so much light in the foreground (bright light on the ground/in air in front of you-->pupils close up to reduce perceived brightness-->reduced long-distance vision). That or get a real bixenon projector retrofitted into your halogen headlights.
2. It sounds likely that you have not coded out errors on your car, which would explain the intermittent performance.

If you have the OEM bixenon headlights:
1. Check all your connections for lose connectors/corrosion/etc.
It's OEM I just got the car last month from a guy and I'm pretty sure they're OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Recon2005
Rep
Drives: 328

Swap out the xenon bulb. Just experienced the same symptoms as you so I pulled the old bulb/igniter and the bulb was toast.
Appreciate 0