Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > newb question about tire pressure monitor?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

newb question about tire pressure monitor?

I have a 2007 335i sedan. When I first got it one tire must have been low so as I was driving the little horseshoe looking symbol came on. I then looked around my car and saw which tire was low, filled it and reset the monitor. Well I just recently ordered some new wheels, and I was asked if I want the brackets for the tire pressure monitors. SO I was talking to the gentleman about the tpms and he said it sells you the pressure of the tires. Well I didnt and dont see any pressure readings. The only thing I noticed is when a tire is low, the light comes on therefore I figure I have to look to see which tire is low. So does my car have a system that tells the actual pressure of each tire? I had 2 previous e46 m3's and when the tires went low it didnt show me the actual pressure or tell me which wheel, just the horseshoe symbol came on and I had to find the tire that was low. So my 335i is doing the same thing. Am I missing something, or does my car not show the actual pressure of each tire?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
woptang22
Major
Rep

anyone know about the TPMS in the 07 335i sedan?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

1. The early '07s have the older FTM monitor which compares the wheel's rotational speeds through the ABS sensors. It can only indicate that one or more tires are low.

2. The later '07s with TPMS (sensors in each wheel) also normally indicate only that one or more tires are low. However, software updates may make identifying the particular low tire available - but even in this case, BMW does not provide the psi for each tire.

So you need to inflate all tires to the desired cold pressure, reset the system and then check each tire if you get a warning. And checking each tire at least monthly is always a good idea.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
If you have Nav, it will tell you which tire is low, if you have a later '07 model.

My 07 was actually built in NOV 06, so it has the FTM with rubber valve stems on wheels as indicators, same as rest of world, vice TPMS mandated by US regs. I opted out of NAV because I read it sucked, at the time.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
1. The early '07s have the older FTM monitor which compares the wheel's rotational speeds through the ABS sensors. It can only indicate that one or more tires are low.

2. The later '07s with TPMS (sensors in each wheel) also normally indicate only that one or more tires are low. However, software updates may make identifying the particular low tire available - but even in this case, BMW does not provide the psi for each tire.

So you need to inflate all tires to the desired cold pressure, reset the system and then check each tire if you get a warning. And checking each tire at least monthly is always a good idea.

Tom
thank you very much for the reply. So Im guessing I just have the basic as far as tire pressure monitors go. The reason I ask is because I am getting new wheels and the company I bought them from is selling me tire pressure monitor brackets for the new wheels. So Im guessing I dont need these brackets? and I dont have navigation.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
thank you very much for the reply. So Im guessing I just have the basic as far as tire pressure monitors go. The reason I ask is because I am getting new wheels and the company I bought them from is selling me tire pressure monitor brackets for the new wheels. So Im guessing I dont need these brackets? and I dont have navigation.
Exactly! Neither do I.

Save your money, bro, and apply the TPMS savings to get an upgrade set of wheels/tires! LOL

Jus' sayin'

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Check your valve stems. IIRC, the FTM BMWs have rubber valve stems (as Flip mentioned) and the TPMS cars have metal. If you have TPMS and do not buy the TPMS sensors (or transfer the exisitng ones from your OEM wheels), you will defeat the flat tire monitor and constantly have a dash warning light.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Check your valve stems. IIRC, the FTM BMWs have rubber valve stems (as Flip mentioned) and the TPMS cars have metal. If you have TPMS and do not buy the TPMS sensors (or transfer the exisitng ones from your OEM wheels), you will defeat the flat tire monitor and constantly have a dash warning light.

Tom
My valve stems are rubber. So Im guessing I must have the old style monitors.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
My valve stems are rubber. So Im guessing I must have the old style monitors.
This would indicate that you have the indirect system, so no actual TPMS sensors in the wheels.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
This would indicate that you have the indirect system, so no actual TPMS sensors in the wheels.
thank you very much. this saves me some money and aggrevation. Thanks for everyones help.
Appreciate 0