E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Spark plug question?

10-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Norcal_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Spark plug question?

I replaced my spark plugs last week and I found oil in the tread of spark plug 4,5, and 6. My questions is this normal?? BMW dealership states it is and no repairs will be made. I feel its NOT normal and needs to be repair before spark plugs become fouled with oil. thoughts and comments
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Valve cover is leaking. Did you get an invoice from the dealer that they will not fix it and it is "normal". If so, call BMWNA and ask them to have the dealer fix it. If not, go to another dealer and specifically have them write down their analysis ie: oil in spark plug well "normal". Then give that to BMWNA and ask them to have the dealer fix it. Bottom line, get it fixed.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

No it's not typical. But I seems the tech or yourself did not torque the spark plugs down enough. I'm surprised at the SA did not automatically caled you in and double check the work -if they performed it. It all about customer service these days.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
No it's not typical. But I seems the tech or yourself did not torque the spark plugs down enough. I'm surprised at the SA did not automatically caled you in and double check the work -if they performed it. It all about customer service these days.
Spark plugs have nothing to do with the valve cover leaking. The valve cover is leaking because the valve cover is leaking. Spark plugs do not hold down or secure the valve cover. To the OP, just as a fyi here is a link which you may want to print and show your dealer so that they can change the valve cover gasket. I personally would go to another dealer. Once they play around with me they lose me forever. http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/repl...et-on-your-bmw
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Norcal_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

thanks guys for your help
Appreciate 0