E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Macro Flash Recommendation

10-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Macro Flash Recommendation

I'm using a Nikon D40 with a Tamron 60mm f/2 macro lens, primary use is for surface detail in small objects such as coins and machine parts. I've been using an LED light block for illumination, but would like something quicker to use and to reduce movement blur when I can't get the block in close. My knowledge of flash photography is very limited. Thanks
      10-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
There's a lot of options for you that gives you various results. I tried the following:

Flash LED ring: gives a nice lighting to the face of your subject without having a shadow at the bottom of it, like an On-Camera flash would do. Pretty uniform flash and very bright. Nice bang for the buck if you're on a budget (costed me around $60).

If you can get some budget, (My favorite) Off-Camera flashes: tried two yongnuo 560exII flashes on stands with radio controls. Its nice because you have a lot of control over the shadow created by the flashes or even use small on-flash softboxes. You can simply move the stands in a breeze and try giving them different angles. Some wont try those flashes just because of the price, but i've put them to test against my Nikon SB900 and they reload as fast and dont heat up as fast as the Nikon. Looks like they wont last a lifetime, but for the price; heck why not. (costed me $60 per flash + about 70 for the radio controls).

Liked this so much that I ordered two more to try 360 degrees flash and shoot on top with a light tent. Can wait to try this out. But 2 flash setup is still very nice for about $200.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I'll look into those.
      10-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

I had purchased this one a while back, and the few times I've used it has impressed me so far:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LYF5P2

Keep in mind that it's not a professional product and I wouldn't recommend it for professional product photography, for example. But it's a good price point, is easy to use, and works good enough for the rare times I need it.
      10-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

I had looked at similar lights but at that price point I was dubious. Looks like it's worth a try, hard to go wrong for that amount of money.
      10-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I had purchased this one a while back, and the few times I've used it has impressed me so far:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LYF5P2

Keep in mind that it's not a professional product and I wouldn't recommend it for professional product photography, for example. But it's a good price point, is easy to use, and works good enough for the rare times I need it.
Pretty much the same as mine! Except mine is a Meike. I like it as well for the price.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Came in and I've had a chance to shoot a few pics with it. My thoughts:
For the money, a good low cost option but limited to close distance work. Somewhat cheap/fragile, but functional. Hopefully you're not banging your lens and camera around so not a serious concern. Comes with a full set of adapter rings with the kit which are unique to this light. I haven't had a problem with the light rotating on the ring, but should this be an issue, a small wedge of paper will lock it in place. Being a constant on light source, it does help with focusing. Thanks to all for their input.