E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone can help a fellow member get in the Oil & Gas Industry?

10-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 2009 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
You're top of your class and can't find a job? Your school couldn't help you with job placement? You never made any connections? I love bimmerpost but I would hope that after having worked as hard as I am sure you have, there would be better avenues than this place...

Sad country we live in when our best and brightest can't find jobs out of college.
Well the connections I made in school weren't that useful. Most of the faculty were long retired and not actively on projects.

If they did have connections, it didn't help as most of them were for the defense industry which my school is strongly affiliated with. I do not qualify for security clearance so anything defense related is out of the question.

My better connections are back in my home country and I have to work in the USA to keep my green card.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #24
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Australia > Canada

my .02 cents...
Yes that is still where some jobs are. I hope the job situation changes soon in the USA so that returning Veterans can find a job at home they so well deserve!

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
This is the sad reality of today... I know many, many people in the same position.
Not in the OP's case given the sector of work..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Yes that is still where some jobs are. I hope the job situation changes soon in the USA so that returning Veterans can find a job at home they so well deserve!
not that I have anything against the returning veterans but oh wow more competition
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #27
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

CVX is a great company, they probably get 1000's of resumes a day for college grads.

Do you prefer to work on-land or offshore? You can live anywhere in the world if you don't mind working offshore, on a platform, rig, drillship, etc. We drill for chevron right now, subb'd out to petrobras for one well but, majority of the time we work for chevron.
Right now, chevron just hired 12 college grads. to do their ADP program, in the end they'll be ops. managers, drilling superintendents, etc. sky is the limit for these kids.
Think pay for them is around 105-110k/yr, 3 week rotating work schedule. In 5 years they should see 2-400k depending on where they focus and want to specialize.
I work for R I G ticker, fly off the rig tomorrow morning for my 3 wks off. Job sucks, it sucks being away from family, friends, girlfriend, etc. we work 90 hrs/week but, if your smart and invest/save your money now, when you turn 35 you can walk away as a millionaire and probably get a land job anywhere within chevron or the oil and gas industry. Land rigs-you will work at a much higher pace, probably harder and old school supervisors.
I got a ton of shit for coming down to the gulf of mexico since I had a 4 yr engineering degree, uscg engineering license and grew up in the "North".

It is a very very very competitive industry, with a rough crowd on the rigs but, a lot safer than most people think and very stringent policies and procedures we follow while at work.

goodluck and if you have more questions- Post or PM.
      10-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #28
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did you already see this Event-Bakersfield, Ca

https://www.chevron.apply2jobs.com/P...&CurrentPage=2
      10-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #29
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I didn't get selected for the El Segundo refinery full time facility engineer position that I applied for last week but I did wait at the career center for 4 hours while they were conducting the on campus interview. I finally managed to catch the Chevron reps on break but unfortunately they couldn't offer me an interview.

It's sad how some classmates that don't even work remotely close as hard as I do get the interviews just because they took some different classes. I didn't take those classes because I knew that I wouldn't learn anything from the professors teaching them(yes they were that bad, only 5 or 6 people attend their lecture out of a class of maybe 40 in hopes of getting some exam or quiz tip offs because nobody knew what he was talking about).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #30
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejheverest View Post
Did you already see this Event-Bakersfield, Ca

https://www.chevron.apply2jobs.com/P...&CurrentPage=2
Thanks for the tip! Will apply. Site is under maintenance so I can't see anything yet. I hope it comes back up tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #31
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone know if going to the event like the chevron one mentioned above will be of any help? I have 0 experience and they are looking for people with at least 3 years of experience. It is a 3 hour drive so, I don't want to just travel up there for nothing...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #32
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...01989#45038505

move to north dakota

/thread
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #33
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

you don't have much to lose, other than your time by going to this event.
I had Zero rig experience when I applied, they never called me back. After I was able to get an interview at a career day, they called me and flew me down to Houston.