E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Logic 7 sounds kind of muffled ?

12-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Logic 7 sounds kind of muffled ?

I'm not sure if muffled is the right word to describe it, I'm coming from Toyota's and they sound a bit better, it's easier to hear everything in the song, especially the quieter things? Base seems good but I feel like it drowns out other things in the song?

I feel like I'm speaking a different language, I don't really know how to describe sound.

I think the technical way to describe it is that is doesn't have a good range of frequencies?

I've tried the EQ settings mentioned in the EQ sticky but I took it back to defaults, I felt like I didn't hear a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRWD
I'm not sure if muffled is the right word to describe it, I'm coming from Toyota's and they sound a bit better, it's easier to hear everything in the song, especially the quieter things? Base seems good but I feel like it drowns out other things in the song?

I feel like I'm speaking a different language, I don't really know how to describe sound.

I think the technical way to describe it is that is doesn't have a good range of frequencies?

I've tried the EQ settings mentioned in the EQ sticky but I took it back to defaults, I felt like I didn't hear a difference.
I agree there is a certain clarity in the mid and high frequencies that other decent car systems have, that the bmw lacks. The only thing I can put it to is either the placement of the mids and tweets or the quality of the signal from the head unit.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
I agree there is a certain clarity in the mid and high frequencies that other decent car systems have, that the bmw lacks. The only thing I can put it to is either the placement of the mids and tweets or the quality of the signal from the head unit.
Most of us get better sound via new amps and speakers in stock locations though. So placement isn't necessarily the bad part. Likely, it's a poor choice in amp/signal processor that's the biggest culprit.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

IMO the underpowered stock amp is the biggest issue with the logic 7 system after that it is the aluminum tweeters. Changing the amp to something with more headroom will make it sound alot clearer, but then the harsh tweeters becomes more obvious.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Change EQ settings. These work well for me:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=217
That should sound much better than stock. Of course the source (original song) is quite important too. There's no fixing crap recording/mastering.
      12-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Most of us get better sound via new amps and speakers in stock locations though. So placement isn't necessarily the bad part. Likely, it's a poor choice in amp/signal processor that's the biggest culprit.
I disagree - I am using a JL HD600/4 and Helix DSP - and the absolute clarity of some other systems just isn't there. I think it is the hifi head unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
I disagree - I am using a JL HD600/4 and Helix DSP - and the absolute clarity of some other systems just isn't there. I think it is the hifi head unit.
I think it is too. I've tried the same amp(xd600/6) and speakers(Morel HO II's, Jenhert xe200) with my aftermarket headunit and the stock headunit coded to hifi. The aftermarket headunit sounds cleaner. Not exactly a fair comparison though since I was using the aux in on the stock headunit and Bluetooth or USB on the aftermarket.
Appreciate 0