E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BSH Competition Oil Catch Can **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

03-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

BSH Competition Oil Catch Can **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

Anyone that ever removed a single pipe on the intake track of this car has inevitably found oil literally dripping from the pipes. It is really an un-nerving thing to see oil literally caked all over the pipes that lead to your engine. I remember when I was changing my intercooler for the first time, I was very concerned this oil could damage my new investment. I guess there are a couple of questions that immediately came to my mind and the first was... why does this happen on the N54? Well it is obvious the N54 suffers from blow-by pretty bad. What is blow-by? I found a great explanation that I will quote:

Quote:
Let's look at your engine for a moment. Every engine during the normal combustion process has blow-by. Engine blow-by is excess combustion gases that leak by the piston rings and escape into the engine crankcase. During each compression or power stroke of a normal engine cycle, a very small amount of gases leak by the piston rings. This happens because the piston rings do not create a perfect seal. This blow-by of gases is very small, but the higher the RPM and the more pistons, the more the blow-by starts to create pressure in the crank.

This pressure needs to be released, and is done so by crank case vents. Because manufactures have to keep environmental issues in mind, these gases can’t just be vented to atmosphere. So the OEM’s vent these gases back to the intake system to be re-burned. This all sounds good, but Blow by is nasty stuff!

Engine blow-by contains gases and oil from the crankcase. The gases aren’t really a problem, but the oil is. This oily mess coats everything in its path as it makes it way back to the combustion chamber. This nasty oil mess gets into the turbo, then boost tubes, then intercooler, into the intake manifold, and finally back into the engine. As the oil creeps in between couplers and boost tubes, it can cause the connection pop off under boost. This oil then gets into the intercooler coating all the cooling fins. This greatly affects the ability of the intercooler to cool, and the efficiency of it will drop! This will cause a huge loss in power and can cause detonation. The last place this oily mess sees before the combustion chamber is the intake valves. Because of the temp differences and the oil impacting them, the oil will start to build up and form sludge. This adds up over time, and can cause many other problems, and hurt performance.
Simply put blow-by is nasty stuff that will inevitably ruin a lot of parts on your car you don't protect yourself. I was not willing to ruin a $1000 intercooler, so I needed a way to catch this oil. The most common way to catch this oil is with an oil catch can. For about 2 years Riss Racing really had the only N54 specific oil catch can, so that is what I have been using. It looked great when I got it and performed well, but unfortunately it has deteriorated over time. The problem is the Riss Racing Oil Catch Can is now known to be a cheap ebay can that is heavily prone to leaking. I finally got sick of looking a glazed over, oil covered catch can and decided to replace it. Thus the search began...

I like the simplicity of a metal filtrate style can because it will work well regardless of the temperature of the oil. They are easy to care for and if built well are trouble free. My search led me to the BSH Competition Oil Catch Can. The BSH product is light years ahead of the Riss Catch Can I had and boasts strong upsides. The BSH Competition Oil Catch Can features the following:
  • BSH N54 Specific 3" Catch Can
  • BSH Billet Aluminum PCV Inlet Adapter
  • BSH Billet Aluminum PCV Outlet Adapter
  • BSH Billet Aluminum Dipstick
  • Push Lock Hose
  • All Hardware Needed For Installation
  • Emissions Compliant
With this information, I decided to order the BSH Competition Oil Catch Can and rid myself of this problem once and for all.

Experience with BSH Speedshop

This was my first experience with BSH Speedshop, so I wanted to find out a little about them. BSH is a full 10,800 square foot facility where they design, develop, manufacture, and distribute their products. BSH is a full high tech shop with multiple CNC machining equipment including milling, turning, tube bending, and cutting equipment. This matters a lot to me because BSH is not just a "pusher" of someone else's product. BSH builds their own parts/kits and holds themselves to a very high standard.

During the ordering process, I was fortunate to talk with Phillip from BSH. In the short time we spoke, I got an overwhelming feeling that he was a race inspired enthusiast. Phillip made is very proud that BSH designs and manufactures their kits in-house. The advantage is they are in direct control of every item that leaves their shop. Phillip was a pleasure to deal with and made my first experience with BSH absolutely superb.

Shortly after ordering the BSH Competition Oil Catch Can, I received tracking info allowing me to plan for the installation. The kit came well packaged and protected.

The items in the box were protected well with bubble wrap, plastic wrapping, and peanuts.

You can see each item in the box is individually packaged for easy organization in the install process.

The CNC Billet Aluminum PCV inlet/out adapters are beautiful items. These are not cheap leaky plastic connectors like I had on my Riss kit. These items really speak volumes to the quality that BSH provides. You can also see the heat resistant double gaskets on each adapter.

Notice the locking design on the BSH Billet Aluminum PCV outlet adapter. This is important because the oil will be present on the PCV outlet and BSH went the extra step to insure it will remain secure.

The BSH Catch Can itself is well built and has a beautiful black wrinkle coating.

A closer look at the BSH Catch Can shows the internal aluminum metal baffling system. This is not a can with a package of steel wool stuffed in it. This catch can is specifically designed to catch oil vapors without sacrificing the crankcase flow.

How do you check oil in a car? Well, with a dipstick and BSH used the same concept for our oil catch can. It is a great feature and a beautiful billet aluminum item with the BSH logo etched on the top.

Here is a close-up of the drain plug on the BSH can.

Finally, you will notice that BSH uses "push lock" hose. This means it is meant to fit secure and leak free.

I did want to give you a comparison of the Riss Racing Oil Catch Can and the BSH Competition Oil Catch Can.

The Riss Catch Can looked great when I got it, but now you can see the coat of oil all over the entire thing. Basically it appears every seal that could fail did. The fill tube is bent and deformed. Conversely, the BSH can is a welded one piece canister. The build quality is superb and the finish is OEM.

BSH really put created a quality product here and I am very impressed with every aspect of the kit.

Installation

You take full responsibility for the entire installation process of the BSH Competition Oil Catch Can. This is simply a documentation of the install process I used.

You will need the following items for the install:
  • 3/8" Socket Driver
  • 3/8" Socket Extension
  • 8mm Socket
  • 10mm Socket
  • 5mm Allen Head
  • Flat-head screwdriver
  • Box Cutter Blade
I think there must be 10 DIYs on how to remove the microfiber filter cover, cowl, and ECU covers so I will defer to those. After removing the above items, you will need to remove the engine cover. It is held on by (4) 5mm Allen head bolts.

Notice the passenger side bolt is recessed a bit, so you will need the extension to remove this bolt.

With the engine cover removed, you have full access to the PCV inlet/outlet for the installation of the BSH OCC.

I had the Riss Racing OCC on my car prior, so here is what the connectors looked like connected to the PCV inlet/outlet. Notice the cheap plastic fittings.

The first item of order here is to remove the inlet and outlet PCV connectors. The driver's side connector has a wire harness that needs to removed first. The actual PCV connector is held on by a clip on the side toward the nose of the car and the side toward the rear of the car. Use a flat head screw driver to carefully pop this connector out.

The passenger side PCV connector has a square securing clip. You will need to insert a flat head screw driver to release these pops and remove the connector.

Here are the connectors removed from the car. Passenger side below.

Driver's side below.

Now it is time to assemble the BSH Billet Aluminum fittings on the PCV inlet and outlet connectors. The threaded BSH adapter goes on the passenger side connector. Insert it into the PCV connector and then install the brass elbow into the connector. I used blue threadlocker to insure a secure connection.

Insert the push lock hose onto the brass fitting and secure using the included clamp. You can cut the hose later, but this saves you from trying to secure the clamp in tight quarters.

Next insert the driver's side BSH adapter into the PCV connector. This has a locking tab to insure the connection remains secure. The locking tab will slide over the lip on the PCV connector and is secured with the Allen screw.

Now, lets get the BSH catch can and bracket assembled. Use the included screws and washers to secure the bracket to the catch can.

We need the can installed so we can measure and cut the hose, so that is our next order of business. The BSH OCC is mounted to the bolt near the positive terminal under the hood. This nut/bolt simply holds the heat shield down, so it should be easy to identify. Mount the can/bracket as you want and lock it down.

Now you can measure the length of hose needed and cut it using a razor blade or box cutter. There is enough hose for some slack and it is better to leave more hose then come up short. I put the engine cover on, so I could simulate the exact setup before marking and cutting the hose. After you mark and cut the hose, insert each hose into the PCV inlet & outlet fittings. It is push lock, so there are no clamps needed. Next insert the PCV inlet/outlet back into their mounting locations and re-attach the wire to the driver's side connecter.

Connect the hose to the catch can.

Finally, place the engine cover back on the engine and route the hose over the side of the cover.

Button everything back up in the opposite order. One thing to note, when you are inserting the passenger side rear bolt on the engine cover you should use tape to hold the bolt to the Allen head socket so you don't drop it. If you do, it is belly pan removal time that will add 30 minutes to the job.

Results

This is about to be the shortest results section I ever wrote. My BSH Competition Oil Catch Can is now collecting oil! LOL. The truth is this is a well engineered and designed aluminum mesh baffling can that should collect oil well and protect our entire post turbo track from accumulation of oil residue and that is cheap insurance.

Conclusion

The customer service from BSH was off the charts. Phillip was a pleasure to order from and I believe will become a source of more great products for our community. They were fast in their shipping and quick to supply me with tracking information. The products were well packaged and protected.

BSH really hit one out of the park with this kit. The fittings are all top notch CNC billet aluminum parts. The catch can is a well built can with an aluminum metal filtrate system that will not sacrifice flow for oil separating ability. The black wrinkle coated can is beautiful and obviously very functional. The billet dip stick is innovative and a great way to determine when it is time to empty the can. Finally all gaskets are heat resistant to protect us from the leaks many of us have dealt with on prior products.

Honestly, I am glad to finally have an oil catch can that I can trust. I have insurance for my intercooler, charge pipe, intake manifold and engine components from oil build-up and in my opinion this is a must for the N54.

Last edited by Former_Boosted_IS; 03-31-2010 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I don't think you have enough mods

thank's again for the good write-up!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
looks like the damn thing came with the car. pricing?
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Wow, nice results. Great write up as usual!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
What perfect timing. The UPS man just delivered mine today. You sir, are an asset to the n54 community - proven many times over.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Its a reliable can. I totally forgot mine was installed. Never had any issues with it at all and I don't even see it in my engine bay when I pop the hood lol. It blends in well.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Jesus another stellar review! FBIS, I need to do what you do in respect to having money for mods...God you have EVERYTHING possible for the N54 right now....Turbo upgrade is your next mod I would assume! You are a great asset to the community!
Now I have to upgrade my RR CC even though I am one of the lucky few without any leaks so far!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Jesus another stellar review! FBIS, I need to do what you do in respect to having money for mods...God you have EVERYTHING possible for the N54 right now....Turbo upgrade is your next mod I would assume! You are a great asset to the community!
Now I have to upgrade my RR CC even though I am one of the lucky few without any leaks so far!
Lets call him out and make him be the first for HPF stg 4 :P
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
Lets call him out and make him be the first for HPF stg 4 :P
I have no doubts if HPF comes out with something spectacular, he will be one of the first to dive in!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Great review I'm glad that you are happy with the BSH Competition Oil Catch Can !
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
ala012
Koala012
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Dakar Yellow

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wow great write-up....
      03-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Another awesome write up. Thanks again!

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

i'll refer to this when installing my AR catch can...thanks FBIS!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

guess it was time to retire the RR unit. haven't noticed any leaking on mine yet. what are your thoughts on the BSH and AR OCC's? I know you went with BSH, but why did you.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFiasco View Post
guess it was time to retire the RR unit. haven't noticed any leaking on mine yet. what are your thoughts on the BSH and AR OCC's? I know you went with BSH, but why did you.
+1

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IMO I think he went with the BSH mainly because of location of CC and not having to relocate one of the boost canisters, also the quality of the unit with its fittings of the blow by tubing, plus a dip stick to check the level of oil captured!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

i should just do what FBI did on his car, then i don't have to worry or regret... another one down... nice... i have riss racing occ, although there's no leaking with mine (yet at least), i would still consider this... as a matter of fact, if i were to switch or install any mods for my car, i look for his review first...

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:35 AM   #18
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Thanks for another excellent review.

I'll get my car back today with the ar design oil catch can installed - I think it will be largely similar (quality and all) to yours.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-31-2010, 05:03 AM   #19
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I don't think you have enough mods

thank's again for the good write-up!
jpsimon, thanks for the compliments. Oh no, I don't have enough mods yet. Look for two more reviews maybe later this week, two next week, and one the week after. 3 are major modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
looks like the damn thing came with the car. pricing?
335iheLLraiseR, I agree it is very OEM like. There are a few vendors in the GB section with this BSH Competition Oil Catch Can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Wow, nice results. Great write up as usual!
forza1976, thank you for the compliments. I am very pleased with the BSH product and it is nice to have this monkey off my back once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
What perfect timing. The UPS man just delivered mine today. You sir, are an asset to the n54 community - proven many times over.
scott, that is very nice of you to say! I hope this helps give you an idea of what is involved in the install.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 05:09 AM   #20
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
cn555ic, thanks for the compliments! I am just trying to build a great machine. I assure you that I will have a turbo upgrade in the future, but I haven't decided what direction to go quite yet. I have some more reviews comnig shortly. I have 5 items at my house now that I need to review and will within the next 2 weeks.

The Riss can is just a mess waiting to happen unfortunately. Get that thing out of the car and just move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Great review I'm glad that you are happy with the BSH Competition Oil Catch Can !
Thanks **********s! I am glad you guys carry this item. BSH is a great vendor and good for the N54 community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala012 View Post
Wow great write-up....
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Truong View Post
Another awesome write up. Thanks again!
ala012 & M_Truong, thanks for taking the time to read the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
i'll refer to this when installing my AR catch can...thanks FBIS!
import36, I am glad the review will be useful.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 05:17 AM   #21
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was hesitant to replace my Riss too because I didn't want to spend more time on a mod already on my car, but I got tired of seeing the glaze on it. I now know it is a cheap piece and you can get this job done in under an hour, so it is worth the peace of mind. I am glad I just don't have to worry about it anymore.

I went with the BSH for a few reasons. I like metal filtrate catch cans very much because they are simple and are basically immune to oil clogging. The BSH can has CNC billet aluminum connectors which are very nice. The billet aluminum dipstick is awesome for checking the oil level! Finally, the location is ideal for me because I don't want to move my boost cannister and I have the STETT CAI on the driver's side.

I am sure AR's product is great because they don't make bad products to be honest.

Good guesses cn555ic! You know me well.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 05:24 AM   #22
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hun77777 View Post
i should just do what FBI did on his car, then i don't have to worry or regret... another one down... nice... i have riss racing occ, although there's no leaking with mine (yet at least), i would still consider this... as a matter of fact, if i were to switch or install any mods for my car, i look for his review first...
hun77777, that is really nice of you to say. I am glad that I have been a help to the community. This winter season of modding has been brutal. I have written so many reviews that mentally I am just exhausted. LOL. The appreciation I get here is probably the reason I have taken on so many projects.
Appreciate 0