E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Will touch up paint cover this?

07-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
gnad
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Will touch up paint cover this?

Just noticed this on my car today..

Does this look like something touch up paint can mostly cover up or does it need to be repainted completely?

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Question: Are you willing and able to have a body shop/car painter fix the issue for you? If so, buy and try the touch up paint. Sooner or later something will come along that touch up paint is perfect for anyway. If the touch up paint you apply doesn't sufficiently satisfy you, take it to a body shop and have the work done professionally. It's not as though your application of the touch up paint is going to prevent the body shop for being able to rectify the problem.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

that is asking to much for touch up, it will always be visible with the globs of paint applied to it.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
lexi0
Registered
Rep
Drives: e91

I have found that several layers of touch up paint are needed to get a satisfactory result.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

Try cleaning the area with some IP alcohol. Looks like the bottom ones will mostly go away. The big one at the top will require some sanding of the area, then will need to be filled with putty and sprayed/touched up.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
OzCoE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Sand the raised plastic scratches out of it, then you could try Dr. colorchip. I would not use OEM touch up with the brush, that will look hideous. If you can throw the Dr. Colorchip on super thick then use their leveling solution, you might have this looking decent. Worst case scenario is if it doesn't work, you may need to paint/blend that corner of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCoE92 View Post
Sand the raised plastic scratches out of it, then you could try Dr. colorchip. I would not use OEM touch up with the brush, that will look hideous. If you can throw the Dr. Colorchip on super thick then use their leveling solution, you might have this looking decent. Worst case scenario is if it doesn't work, you may need to paint/blend that corner of the bumper.
Agreed. You'll never get this "fixed" with touchup paint, but it may get to the point where it looks pretty good and you're fine with it for a few years before you have a lot more chips, scratches, etc. and then take it in for repaint. If you want an actual fix, you'll have to see a body shop to repair and repaint the bumper unfortunately.

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0