E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help! Might have a problem...

01-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
Gooey33
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport Saloon

Help! Might have a problem...

Think I may have an issue with my pre-LCI '06 325i (2500cc).

Drove all the way up to the lakes via butter tubs pass in the dales (awesome road) and the car was absolutely fine (3.5hrs)

Arrived at whinfell forest and whilst in the queue to get into the park (centre parcs) all the trouble started to occur. First it felt like it was misfiring, then it ran really rough and the idle was everywhere. Then it died. Refused to start, left it a few mins, started, ran rough and the engine management light came on. Carried on running really rough and idling badly (but sounded fine when it was given a slight rev) but then died. It started again and then ran fine in gear (1st and 2nd) as I took it to the car park.

And that's where it is, I've since started it and it sounds ok but not driven it...meant to be driving back to Notts on Friday. I've got a recovery service but anyone had anything similar happen and what was the fault? It's never let me down before.

As the engine lights no longer showing, will the fault still register if plugged in? I'm thinking it could be spark related? Plug/coilpack etc?

Anyway, a pic on top of butter tubs pass...prior to conking out!!

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
smuler
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Your thinking is my thinking, sounds exactly like what happened with my E46.

I have a mini diagnostic and yes, it did show the misfiring fault even when the lights went out.

I was away from home and called my recovery service so they sorted me in no time enough to get home at no more cost than calling into my local garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Plug in and pull off the codes. It will still work as long as your battery has juice for the OBD II port. What mileage are you at? Could be coils or something else e.g. Valve tronic, eccentric shaft sensor, alternator etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 02:46 AM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Could be a number of different things so best to get the codes read (which will be held in the DME even after the engine lights have gone out etc).
      01-20-2016, 04:15 AM   #5
Gooey33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
Plug in and pull off the codes. It will still work as long as your battery has juice for the OBD II port. What mileage are you at? Could be coils or something else e.g. Valve tronic, eccentric shaft sensor, alternator etc.
Just ticked over to 91k so a fair few...will see what the code says when it's plugged in. Fingers crossed it gets back ok otherwise it'll be on the back of a recovery truck!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
Gooey33
Private
Rep

Just a little update on the problem...

Car returned home without fault and done its usual weekly commuting with no problems.

It went for its MOT today where I'd already asked them to diagnose what the fault was.

I don't have a code but he says it's showing as the "Vanos Camshaft Solenoid"

Hes reset it and nothing's come back so far...
Is there anything to gain from removing and cleaning as per a couple of threads have said or shall I just replace or wait till it fails properly and replace?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Well something got well and truly confused mate.
If you clear down the codes and they don't keep coming back then you will be fine.

I had an issue very like this when the wrong pressure sensor was plugged into the manifold. I got no codes. Just a bad idle and the AFRs went all out of whack. I only knew this because I had mobile logging through a JB4. The car felt like it ran fine once going but I spent 15 minutes just trying to start it. Idle revs were going up and down. As soon as I would turn it on it died. I eventually got it to stay running by giving it juice for a minute.

It could be a dirty (MAP) pressure sensor. They can get covered in soot over time and you've got a few miles on the car.

It's roughly a £45 part as far as I recall. You can even pull the current sensor from the manifold very easily and check it. 2 screws. I think you'll have to remove the cowl tray though. Easy to do. Just takes a few mins. If it's dirty something like carb cleaner or meths would probably clean it up but check they are ok to use first.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)

Last edited by AWSAWS; 02-02-2016 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Just looking around, I'm not sure where a 325i's MAP sensor may be compared to my 335i's one. It's worth looking into.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooey33
Just a little update on the problem...

Car returned home without fault and done its usual weekly commuting with no problems.

It went for its MOT today where I'd already asked them to diagnose what the fault was.

I don't have a code but he says it's showing as the "Vanos Camshaft Solenoid"

Hes reset it and nothing's come back so far...
Is there anything to gain from removing and cleaning as per a couple of threads have said or shall I just replace or wait till it fails properly and replace?
No regrets replacing mine:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212900
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 03:51 AM   #10
Gooey33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Just looking around, I'm not sure where a 325i's MAP sensor may be compared to my 335i's one. It's worth looking into.
The report sheet I have says "Vanos inlet solenoid", but whilst I'm getting my hands dirty removing and giving it a clean, I may as well take the time to do the MAP as well, can't hurt - found some point pics online of position and it doesn't seem too hard to get to.

Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 04:34 AM   #11
Gooey33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
sounds like it transformed the car then! I'm a big believer of "if it aint broke"...

I have some correct contact cleaner and a compressor at home so for 30mins of my time i think i'll just give it a clean and see how it feels. It certainly doesnt feel like its affecting performance as much as it did on yours though? Worse case i tell myself you were right and just swap them out with new ones!

thanks for the info though
Appreciate 0