E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > NEW: Vishnu Dual Intake System

06-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
NEW: Vishnu Dual Intake System

One of the things that surprised us about this market is that after nearly two years, there is no proper intake system available for the 135/335/535. By proper, I mean one that provides ALL of the following:

1) Separated and symmetrical airflow to both turbochargers (no restriction bias)
2) Low pressure loss in high power application (sufficient filtration area)
3) Good fitment (doesn't rub against important stuff under the hood)
4) Durability (flanges don't tear)

So.... we made one. Here are some pics:

Technical Junk:

The stock airbox is restrictive at power levels much greater than 340whp (Dynojet). This does not mean that it cannot support more power. It just means that vacuum develops at the turbo inlet and the turbos need to spin harder than they need to. This generates more heat and exhaust backpressure do to the higher pressure ratio. By eliminating this vacuum, the turbos are relieved of unnecessary strain and can make more power with less heat and exhaust backpressure. Need proof? It's coming later in this post.

What is "wrong" with the factory airbox?
At stock power levels, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock airbox. It flows enough air with minimal restriction. But at higher-than-stock power levels/airflow, it is the N54's Achilles heel. And here's why:

Here's a picture of the factory airbox:

Here's how airflow must flow before it gets to the turbos:

Notice how the airflow gets restricted as it has to make the 180 deg bend just downstream of the air filter. This is the major sources of restriction with the factory airbox. This is also why drop-in air filter upgrades are only worth a few horsepower and not the 15-25whp we often see with our high flow Dual Intake System!

The other source of restriction is the air filter itself (next to one of our filters):

The factory filter only has approx 90 square inches of surface area. This is insufficient for the 340+whp the PROcede is easily capable of supporting. Each one of our filters offers nearly 100 square inches of surface area! With 2 filters in the system, total surface are is over twice that of stock! This might sound like overkill but it isn't. Imagine what happens when the filters accumulate dirt and effective flow rate gets compromised. Even when handicapped with dirt, our Dual Intake System is easily capable of supporting up to 450whp worth of airflow. And making the job of the turbocharger as easy possible while doing so.

Here's the inside of one of our air filters:

Notice the inverted cone design implemented inside the filter to smoothen airflow as it enters the intake tube leading to the turbocharger inlet. Just one of the little features implemented to reduce restriction and airflow turbulence.

What about cold air ducting?
The truth behind the matter is that lack of restriction is far more important than "cold air ducting". Especially in intercooled turbo systems. In such a system, the only temperature that matters is that of the air as it enters the intake manifold. But this air has already been on a long journey. It originally entered the system at the air filters. Then it travelled through the turbos, through a bunch of piping, then through the intercooler, through more piping and only then to the intake manifold. With the exception of when it passed through the intercooler, the air picked up heat at every stop. The largest heat gain occurred in the turbo during the compression stage. Here, air temps can easily rise by 150 deg F. A whole lot more than the 10-30 deg F gained from drawing air from under the hood (and not through a cold air box.)

With the vast majority of heat generated in the compression stage, it makes sense to address this stage and see what we can do to cool things down. First of all, we can actually reduce the amount of compression. And yes, we can do this without reducing boost pressure simply by eliminating the negative pressure (vacuum) at the turbocharger inlet. This reduces the pressure ratio which makes the turbo spin slower and generates less heat. And not only is there less heat generated through the reduction in compressor RPM, the amount of exhaust backpressure is also reduced. Add both effects together and you get a car that makes more power with less stress on the turbo. In fact, at 14-15psi of boost, our Dual Intake system offers a 15-25whp advantage over the stock cold air ducted airbox. And not only that, intake temps at the intake manifold is measurably cooler (that's what datalogging is for!).

Is it easy to install?
Yes. Total install time shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Same goes for removal.

Will it make the car louder?
You will hear a bit more induction noise. But nothing obtrusive. Most people like the extra sound.

How much power will I make with it?
With our PROcede v3 running the standard map, on an otherwise stock car, expect to see 360-370whp on a dynojet. Assuming proper testing methods of course (good intercooler fans, reasonable ventilation, etc,.)

Ok. So how much does this cost?
$195 plus shipping.

Can I make the same thing for cheaper?
Of course you can! You could have also bought a DIY kit car instead of your BMW.

Is it available now for purchase now?
Not just yet. We'll start taking orders within the next few days. And start shipping next week
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Looks good Shiv.....
      06-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

this product is long overdue...I'd pay $195 for this system. Wish this came out before I bought my new filter upgrade.
Good looking product! Can't wait to try it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I'm loving my dual cone setup (which I just made DIY style). Honestly, if you buy all the pieces yourself (and/or get the connecting pieces fabricated at Midas Muffler) the price will be very close to this... so you might as well just buy the Vishnu setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Ok I want that now
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
How much power will I make with it?
With our PROcede v3 running the standard map, on an otherwise stock car, expect to see 360-370whp on a dynojet. Assuming proper testing methods of course (good intercooler fans, reasonable ventilation, etc,.)
When you say proper testing methods, ventilation etc, is that test done with the hood open or closed?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399 View Post
Ok I want that now
Let me know if you wanna set up a dyno day Hunter. I am thinking I am gonna put my DPs on and go for 400rwhp....
      06-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Can you run the AA bov with this setup (fitment wise)?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post
Not sure about AA BOV, but it works with the CPE BOV.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
this product is long overdue...I'd pay $195 for this system. Wish this came out before I bought my new filter upgrade.
Good looking product! Can't wait to try it.
It's funny. I've been running this intake on my car since last year. I posted up pictures and even made a few kits for people. I even saw one of my hand built kits end up on a competitors "shop" car. I assumed it would just be copied a million times over by now given the power it makes. Not that there is much to copy. It's two filters and a couple of machined metal tubes. But I guess I was wrong

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

I already have one

Makes juuuust the right amount of sound too....not to loud, not to quite.

Thanks Dustin
      06-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #12
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It's funny. I've been running this intake on my car since last year. I posted up pictures and even made a few kits for people. I even saw one of my hand built kits end up on a competitors "shop" car. I assumed it would just be copied a million times over by now given the power it makes. Not that there is much to copy. It's two filters and a couple of machined metal tubes. But I guess I was wrong

Shiv
Because people are lazy. And when it comes to a $50k car, I think most people are against jury rigging a product.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #13
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
I already have one

Makes juuuust the right amount of sound too....not to loud, not to quite.

Thanks Dustin
They sound great on your car
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post
yes, as well as the ever elusive perfect strut bar fitment.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
lacartus
Blah blah blah
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice. I've always been partial to the open-ended filter elements--more surface area!
      06-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #16
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Shiv,
Can we order replacement filter elements or are these the wash and re-use type? Definately great. I too am surprised by the lack of good intake systems available.
      06-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #17
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I still like my UR CAI, but this is not bad either, especially price wise
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #18
tomtom
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

any fitment issues with Forge DVs?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

I've been waiting for someone to offer this! I'm in for one!

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #20
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
I like it

I want one
      06-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #21
ulises 335i
these cars waste alot of fucking gas
Rep
Drives: 335i montego blue

Whats the model number of the filter? Please
      06-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
any fitment issues with Forge DVs?
Nope. I have them on my car too.

Don't know about the elusive strut tower brace. They are so elusive that i have yet to see one.

Haven't tested fitment with the AA bov kit so I have no idea.

There is some adjustability with the intake but not much. We're fitting as much filter as we can in that tight space

Shiv
Appreciate 0