E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW Xenon Coding (Condensed)

03-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #67
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothborderdc View Post
I know, off topic, but where would I even begin to find LCI Xenons for my pre lci halogen setup? Should I just go straight through BMW, or is there a less expensive way to get the OEM headlights, ballasts and any necessary wiring. I feel now that since all these guys have done such an excellent job at coding, the hard part now is finding the actual headlights for a decent price.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Ebay!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #68
mammothboarderdc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Ebay!
I've been looking! Hard to make sure that I get everything I need for the entire setup. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #69
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
I'm going to answer my own question, as nobody else did!

I fitted oem pre lci xenons to my pre lci halogen e90 today. Coding to xenon breaks the operation of the manual level control so i didn't change the vo, so all i did was code out the two low beam checks:-

NFRM module
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (low beam cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (low beam warm)

And of corse i did the 2 wiring mods, and it all works perfectly, except i won't get a warning if a xenon bulbs fails, but i would rather that than not have level control.

But still if anyone knows how to have level control and low beam bulb checks please let me know!
You should have coded the VO $522 for xenon. You wouldn't have lost the leveling feature. I just had to disable the leveling feature because my headlights are aftermarket. Either way, as long as just the bulb check deactivation is working, that's totally fine.

Quote:
Follow my post above and they'll work fine. If you're putting Depo's in with "no error" ballasts then you don't need to code anything.
This is false. I have the Canbus error-free ballasts, and I still used to get a lot of errors. Granted, I drive a 2006. But the only way to properly get rid of errors is to code, either switching the VO or deactivating bulb checks or both. The ballasts alone won't do the trick, and in my case, they didn't help whatsoever.

November 2011 to April 2013 with NO ERRORS. Coding works, everyone!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #70
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

The info here is much more than i bargained for . So much so, that ive spent days working out how to code my 2006 pre lci xenon (from halogens).
Ive even tried combining the pdfs in the original post to help me through.

I havent tried the coding bit yet as i wanted it to make sense (or at least partly in my own mind first).

Q1.
In the http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_C..._Order_CAS.pdf, can someone tell me what is meant by "Note: Only the CAS has the new vehicle order, the 2nd control unit
which stores the vehicle order must now be coded with the new vehicle order, select F1 “Change ECU” and repeat process.

Q2. Can someone provide a guide (for real dummies) to code from halogens to xenons (where inner halogens are activated for high beam.

Pls can someone help, as the bulb errors are driving me nuts.....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #71
pweber84
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativ101 View Post
The info here is much more than i bargained for . So much so, that ive spent days working out how to code my 2006 pre lci xenon (from halogens).
Ive even tried combining the pdfs in the original post to help me through.

I havent tried the coding bit yet as i wanted it to make sense (or at least partly in my own mind first).

Q1.
In the http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_C..._Order_CAS.pdf, can someone tell me what is meant by "Note: Only the CAS has the new vehicle order, the 2nd control unit
which stores the vehicle order must now be coded with the new vehicle order, select F1 “Change ECU” and repeat process.

Q2. Can someone provide a guide (for real dummies) to code from halogens to xenons (where inner halogens are activated for high beam.

Pls can someone help, as the bulb errors are driving me nuts.....
This DIY is described well and for dummies. Email me: *******************
I can't send you PM - not enough posts.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #72
ItDunMatter
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #73
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Hi Everyone,

First of all, thank you to all of those who compiled this thread. There is a lot of information!

I recently bought a pair of retrofitted xenons that were originally a cheap ebay pair with CCFL AEs. They have euro corners, morimoto projectors, ddr 55w hid kits, and orion V4 AEs.

I have a few errors on the dash, so I am going to make my first attempt at coding. I do a fair amount of computer coding, so I am hoping that this is somewhat easy. It looks daunting right now.

I bought a OBD2 cable last night, and it should be here later this week. In the meantime I have a couple questions:

1) If I understand this thread correctly, I should code the VO for xenons first and then check for errors.

2) If I still have errors after coding the VO I should code out the front bulb checks. Are these two assumption correct?

3) Is there any resetting the FRM that needs to happen? I read something about this somewhere, but that was the only time I saw that mentioned.

4) The projectors are bixenon and come on with my brights, but the center halogens also come on. I really don't like this because they are blacked out and I don't want it to melt the paint off, so I am just going to unplug those bulbs. This shouldn't create any errors because I will already have disabled the bulb checks. Is this correct?

I am sure I will be back for more questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #74
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Probably no point changing the vo as its for bmw xenons which are 35 watt. Plus if you change vo you will lose the in cabin headlight height adjustment control.
You should just need to turn off low beam bulb and parking light bulb checks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #75
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Probably no point changing the vo as its for bmw xenons which are 35 watt. Plus if you change vo you will lose the in cabin headlight height adjustment control.
You should just need to turn off low beam bulb and parking light bulb checks.
I actually don't have the in cab adjuster since I'm in NA.

Here is another question: I downloaded the program files from here https://rapidshare.com/#!download|95...06BB9EB17BCC8A

but I can't open the .rar file. What am I doing wrong? Should it have downloaded as a different file?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #76
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Do you have winrar installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #77
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Plus if you change vo you will lose the in cabin headlight height adjustment control.
If you are going from Halogen to Xenon, then the VO is required?
Can the cabin adjustment control not be coded back in?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #78
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have winrar installed?
No, I don't. What all do I need to install to continue with this DIY?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #79
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Only change vo if you are fitting genuine bmw xenons, and also the auto level sensors that fit on the suspension.

I fitted just the genuine xenons, and only changed the low beam bulb check, which you don't need anyway as you will know if one of your low beams isn't working!!

Also change these if your car is post 04/07 manufacture date, to enable drl and have option to turn it on or off in the bc menu.

In Kombi change the following to aktiv

TAG_LICHT_AN

&

TAG_LICHT_AUS

You will see it in your setting menu after

in nfrm

tagfahrlicht_ece_0
Aktiv

verhalten_drl_tfl
drl_s
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #80
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Only change vo if you are fitting genuine bmw xenons, and also the auto level sensors that fit on the suspension.

I fitted just the genuine xenons, and only changed the low beam bulb check, which you don't need anyway as you will know if one of your low beams isn't working!!

Also change these if your car is post 04/07 manufacture date, to enable drl and have option to turn it on or off in the bc menu.

In Kombi change the following to aktiv

TAG_LICHT_AN

&

TAG_LICHT_AUS

You will see it in your setting menu after

in nfrm

tagfahrlicht_ece_0
Aktiv

verhalten_drl_tfl
drl_s
So I should only code out the bulb checks since these are aftermarket/ Are you sure?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #81
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Positive!

All changing the vo does is change the car parameters for the bulb check, i.e. a working xenon bulb has a different resistance to a working halogen bulb. It also enables the feature for the auto levelling sensors to work and control the height of the beam.

You said your car does not have a control on the headlight switch for beam height, I did not realise na halogen cars did not have the in cabin adjustment! So does it have the auto levelling sensors even though it's not xenon, or is it only possible to manually adjust the headlights on your car from the actual headlight?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #82
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Positive!

All changing the vo does is change the car parameters for the bulb check, i.e. a working xenon bulb has a different resistance to a working halogen bulb. It also enables the feature for the auto levelling sensors to work and control the height of the beam.

You said your car does not have a control on the headlight switch for beam height, I did not realise na halogen cars did not have the in cabin adjustment! So does it have the auto levelling sensors even though it's not xenon, or is it only possible to manually adjust the headlights on your car from the actual headlight?
The only way for me to adjust the lights is manually using the phillips screwdriver. I had halogens on the car and now I have these retrofitted (aftermarket) xenons.

Where do i download NCS Expert? Will this come with the cable on a disk or do I download it somewhere off of the internet? I don't have the cable yet, but I would like to get my profile setup within NCS Expert now so that when I do receive the cable I am all set to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #83
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

This excellent guide has everything you need, just ignore the advice on which cable to get, it's a bit out of date now:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=how+to+code
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #84
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This excellent guide has everything you need, just ignore the advice on which cable to get, it's a bit out of date now:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=how+to+code
I downloaded the first one (NCS Expert, INPA, etc.) but I still can't open it. In Junior's pdf tutorial it said to unzip the file, but my computer won't open the .rar file and I'm stuck.

Do I open or save it?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #85
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Save it to desktop or somewhere, then unrar it.

You do have winrar installed on your pc don't you?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #86
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Save it to desktop or somewhere, then unrar it.

You do have winrar installed on your pc don't you?
No, I don't.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #87
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT Bimmer View Post
No, I don't.
I do now.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #88
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Ah, i guess you don't do much downloading then! Get it from their website, it's free!

I hope for your sake you know more about using a pc than you know about downloading, otherwise i think you might struggle with coding.

One other thing, is your laptops windows 32 bit or 64 bit? NCS won't work with 64 bit afaik.
Appreciate 0