E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Navigation Retrofit!

07-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #199
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Me too. Since the "new" system isn't even out in NEW cars yet, I want this now. I would imagine a retrofit to the new system being much more complex (or better yet...a factory authorized retrofit!?!)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #200
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Retrofit update!

Okay...Well, I'm mid-way on the retrofit. I had a bunch going on today and had guests over tonite, so I didn't get as far as I had planned. However, things are going well!

It took approx. 2 hours to get the car all apart and dash out. I've had most of the parts out once already, so I was somewhat familar. Even so, it's quite easy actually! I'm now building the harnesses for the controller and CID. And C_boy was correct - there is no CID harness anywhere. (I've been mistaken all this time) - easily rectified though. In addition, my local dealer was unable to get the CCC Fan harness kit and said it was unavailable (anywhere), so I'm struggling a bit trying to find a connector to fit the CCC fan. Ideas anyone? I may not hook it up and just put the car together if I can't get something together tomorrow. I'll procure the parts later. Its not that hot here and the cooling hose is installed...

The cooling hose question that has come up is a no-brainer. The diagram and text in the Pro retrofit don't make sense, but when its in front of you, its easy. The hose retrofit-part is a hose with a connector (I think its a duplicate of the hose in the car, most of which we cannot see.) You pull-off two-thirds of the hose as the instructions not-so-clearly state, then using the small 1/3 part of the hose, you push it onto the existing hose on the car with male-to-male joiner still fitted. The rubber attachment point snuggly fits onto a dowel on the heater box. (Toss the larger 2/3 section of hose.) That's it. It took me longer to type this than to figure it out and install it.

I am taking pictures and notes as I go, so a retrofit article will be created upon completion. I've spent a lot of time figuring out the harnesses (even though there is only three and very small, simple ones at that) - I'm taking my time, methodically trying to make the best fit. I pulled down the JBE which probably took more time than anything, in attempts to get to a connector on the rear to hook up one lousy pin for the controller. The screws were not-so-accessible, so I'm looking for an alternative option, but on the same circuit.

I hope to be done tomorrow, but we'll see how much time I can devote to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #201
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Smile I-drive install complete!

Well, today I finished it - well pretty much...I forgot to order the center speaker mounting bracket (didn't know I needed it) but its all in and working, 90%!

After unhooking the shark fin from the TCU and hooking it up to the i-drive, I tested by calling BMW assist through the car - worked like a charm and they verified my current location. No issues there. All steering wheel controls work (except for voice command button), climate control, IPOD MOST adapter, bluetooth, CD player,- all works as before during testing.

I think making the wiring harnesses took the longest amount of time and I took my time making them look clean and soldered them in/heatshrinked instead of using scotch-lock connectors. C_boy hooked his controller to the junction at x9331 whereas I went straight to the spot at the back of the JBE since I was already in there - I didn't feel like tearing up the driver's side floor (also) to run a longer wire. I think the car is happy, other than my part number dilemma of the CCC and controller. I didn't install the CCC fan as I haven't located a 3-pin connector or harness for that yet, but I'll do that when I change out the CCC. I've already procured another controller and am still looking for another (US) CCC. The dash itself was very simple, it just took a while to get there and reassembly went very fast. It was super exciting seeing it come together. I took lots of pix, but probably didn't capture every detail...but for those of you who are interested, it'll give you insight to the process.

As of now, the install is complete, however, I still have a few issues, likely due (as per my BMW expert) the ECE/US part discrepancy. Once that is resolved, Progman should update all my modules with the new software and I should be 100%. Still waiting to be resolved: Voice command (phone) and voice guidance, AM Radio, traffic info. Everything else is good.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #202
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Well, today I finished it - well pretty much...I forgot to order the center speaker mounting bracket (didn't know I needed it) but its all in and working, 90%!

After unhooking the shark fin from the TCU and hooking it up to the i-drive, I tested by calling BMW assist through the car - worked like a charm and they verified my current location. No issues there. All steering wheel controls work (except for voice command button), climate control, IPOD MOST adapter, bluetooth, CD player,- all works as before during testing.

I think making the wiring harnesses took the longest amount of time and I took my time making them look clean and soldered them in/heatshrinked instead of using scotch-lock connectors. C_boy hooked his controller to the junction at x9331 whereas I went straight to the spot at the back of the JBE since I was already in there - I didn't feel like tearing up the driver's side floor (also) to run a longer wire. I think the car is happy, other than my part number dilemma of the CCC and controller. I didn't install the CCC fan as I haven't located a 3-pin connector or harness for that yet, but I'll do that when I change out the CCC. I've already procured another controller and am still looking for another (US) CCC. The dash itself was very simple, it just took a while to get there and reassembly went very fast. It was super exciting seeing it come together. I took lots of pix, but probably didn't capture every detail...but for those of you who are interested, it'll give you insight to the process.

As of now, the install is complete, however, I still have a few issues, likely due (as per my BMW expert) the ECE/US part discrepancy. Once that is resolved, Progman should update all my modules with the new software and I should be 100%. Still waiting to be resolved: Voice command (phone) and voice guidance, AM Radio, traffic info. Everything else is good.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #203
c_boy
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

Hoped for pictures!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #204
djdaveyg
Rep
Drives: e90 318d

Just an update from me.

I have successfully changed my VO and configured my CCC from logic 7 output to analogue output using the autologic system.

I have a new style CCC with the additional touch sensitive buttons on the front. The CCC has a later if not latest firmware installed as i do not get any feedback on the idrive controller.

Because its the first time the autologic system has configured an e90, it took a bit of time to work out what needed doing but after 3 visits to the garage we got it going.

visit 1,

initial visit, autologic system needed a firmware update to communicate to the car. Once updateded it uploaded the information from the various modules in the car, and they got sent to autologic. The software guys then take a look and work out what needs changing. The then send the instructions to the garage.

visit 2

VO changed and sipmly on the autologic touch screen you see your list of options, remove the pro radio option and add pro navigation. The system then updates the various modules that need changing. Then the car goes to sleep to take the configuration. Now I install the CCC and let the autologic system talk to the car again. Once this has happend the autologic system reports what needs updating, in this case the CCC. Now when we tried to do this, the autologic system reported back saying it needs the fiber optic interface tro complete the task. We didnt have one!

visit 3.

Autologic do have a fiber optic optional connector but some garages do not have it. We managed to borrow one to get the job done. The CCC did report back some errors when updating the irst time, but after 2 attempts it took the update. The autologic system reported back that all modules were upto date, but we still did not have any audio. We had to then go into the CCC options in the autologic system and do a hard reset, then we had music! Ipod controlls all worked ok too and PDC.

So there is not any direct option to configure the CCC, it seems that it looks at the VO to see what options it needs to have, and after the VO has been changed the CCC thinks it should be in the car and configures itself.

I also noticed that before the VO was changed, when i hooked up the equipment in the car, the menus back light was always on, and the screen would not dim when the lights were switched on. Now it works as it should.

So in theory, it can be a quick process with autologic, aslong as the garage has the know how and the fiber connector.

I already have the dash, so i have ordered the extra parts required, and will do the fit as soon as they are here.

Autololgic is a UK based company but the have garages all over the UK and USA with the equipment.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #205
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

I can't wait to see pics of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #206
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I can't wait to see pics of this.
Well, I put a couple of photos up for the curious people to look at now. I'm about 1/2 done with the DIY I plan to post... I'll let you know when its done!

Ahhh...nice...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/...d1382f82_o.jpg

All the parts that had to come out!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/...385c7bb5_o.jpg

Cooling tube before:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/...51ab021d_o.jpg

Cooling tube after:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/...c2708248_o.jpg

Holy Cow!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/...f09f3e5c_o.jpg

All done:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/...b625aec5_o.jpg

My current hold-up...this bracket is supposed to be the same on both dashes...but its not. Hmmmm.....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/...a34035b9_o.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #207
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

wow, you got balls....I would never try something like that, good job!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #208
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Holy shit man!

Hats off to a job well done.
      07-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #209
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

Awesome job!! how much was the end cost? Id like to pay you to come here and do it to my car....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #210
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Well, I put a couple of photos up for the curious people to look at now. I'm about 1/2 done with the DIY I plan to post... I'll let you know when its done!

Ahhh...nice...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/...d1382f82_o.jpg

All the parts that had to come out!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/...385c7bb5_o.jpg

Cooling tube before:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/...51ab021d_o.jpg

Cooling tube after:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/...c2708248_o.jpg

Holy Cow!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/...f09f3e5c_o.jpg

All done:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/...b625aec5_o.jpg

My current hold-up...this bracket is supposed to be the same on both dashes...but its not. Hmmmm.....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/...a34035b9_o.jpg
Bloody hell - this is definitely what I call a DIY
Did you let your wife see the car when everything was apart? Did she
freak out? I know mine would
Congrats though

Last edited by shadowcoder; 07-18-2008 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #211
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

atta boy! making great progress! I had this intention when I first bought the car, very glad to see someone else is giving the same challenge a shot! I'm wishing you the best of luck with the project. Can't wait to see the final pics!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #212
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcoder View Post
Bloody hell - this is definitely what I call a DIY
Did you let your wife see the car when everything was apart? Did she
freak out? I know mine would
Congrats though
Well, end cost hasn't been determined yet, as I still need to procure another (US) CCC and off-load (ebay) a few spare parts (dash, fakra cable, old CCC, etc...) I think I have around $1600-1700 US into it now and it'll be more shortly - I'll definitely recoup some of that. If I wanted to sell my OEM Professional radio, I could probably cut that down even more - eventually I will. I'm still trying to get this software 100%, so I'm holding off till everything is perfect.

Also, I'm having difficulty with the center speaker mounting bracket - the parts catalogs say they are the same for both dashboards, but the one out of my dash is like putting a square peg in a round hole - definitely not the right part! I didn't order it initially, since I thought they were supposed to be the same. The other day, I ordered a new one anyway, just in case they made a new part that fits both dashboards. Weird. (so right now I have the center dash speaker grille on, but it doesn't snap in or have a center speaker in there.)

Yeah- my wife came home and saw all the parts I took out layed out on the floor. She wasn't phased. Then I showed her inside the car and the dash (or lack thereof) and she was like, "Where's the steering wheel?!?!" - nevermind the rest of the missing stuff. LOL.

Thanks for the kudos. Its been fun researching this and getting this far. It was actually exciting putting it back together, seeing it come together. Then to hear the "bong.....bong..." - the new i-drive chime. Ooooooo.. The dash swap really wasn't 1/2 as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think they are made to swap easy, since when the passenger airbag pops, it tears a giant hole in the dash - so even low-speed impacts require a dash change. This project isn't for the faint of heart though - my neighbor came over and nearly fainted when he saw the interior - dash out, back seat out, trunk trim removed. Hee hee. I'm happy though - NO RATTLES! It's well engineered and looks nothing like an American car in there.
Appreciate 1
feuer4277.00
      07-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #213
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Let me know if you want to offload your European CCC.

I will have it off you instead of buying from Poland or wherever the favourite place seems to be at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #214
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdaveyg View Post
Just an update from me.

I have successfully changed my VO and configured my CCC from logic 7 output to analogue output using the autologic system.

I have a new style CCC with the additional touch sensitive buttons on the front. The CCC has a later if not latest firmware installed as i do not get any feedback on the idrive controller.

Because its the first time the autologic system has configured an e90, it took a bit of time to work out what needed doing but after 3 visits to the garage we got it going.

visit 1,

initial visit, autologic system needed a firmware update to communicate to the car. Once updateded it uploaded the information from the various modules in the car, and they got sent to autologic. The software guys then take a look and work out what needs changing. The then send the instructions to the garage.

visit 2

VO changed and sipmly on the autologic touch screen you see your list of options, remove the pro radio option and add pro navigation. The system then updates the various modules that need changing. Then the car goes to sleep to take the configuration. Now I install the CCC and let the autologic system talk to the car again. Once this has happend the autologic system reports what needs updating, in this case the CCC. Now when we tried to do this, the autologic system reported back saying it needs the fiber optic interface tro complete the task. We didnt have one!

visit 3.

Autologic do have a fiber optic optional connector but some garages do not have it. We managed to borrow one to get the job done. The CCC did report back some errors when updating the irst time, but after 2 attempts it took the update. The autologic system reported back that all modules were upto date, but we still did not have any audio. We had to then go into the CCC options in the autologic system and do a hard reset, then we had music! Ipod controlls all worked ok too and PDC.

So there is not any direct option to configure the CCC, it seems that it looks at the VO to see what options it needs to have, and after the VO has been changed the CCC thinks it should be in the car and configures itself.

I also noticed that before the VO was changed, when i hooked up the equipment in the car, the menus back light was always on, and the screen would not dim when the lights were switched on. Now it works as it should.

So in theory, it can be a quick process with autologic, aslong as the garage has the know how and the fiber connector.

I already have the dash, so i have ordered the extra parts required, and will do the fit as soon as they are here.

Autololgic is a UK based company but the have garages all over the UK and USA with the equipment.
What is build date of your car - AND - were you able to get the programmable buttons on the front of the CCC working/programmable?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #215
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I'm sure he said it was all working perfectly.

Check your PM's mate.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #216
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had just heard that on cars build before ~3/07, you couldn't get the programmable buttons working. I wanted to know if his car was an early build (and to see if he got them working)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #217
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah but that was from a BMW dealer, who also say your can't retrofit nav.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #218
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Yeah but that was from a BMW dealer, who also say your can't retrofit nav.
No - actually I heard this from an acquaintance who's done several nav retrofit's/upgrades/VO changes on other cars.... He told me he was unable to get the buttons working on an e60 or some other (unknown) BMW and told me that I might have problems on an e90.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #219
djdaveyg
Rep

My car is Nov 07, so the later model with EFD. The new style CCC is the one that i 'should' have in the car if i had nav from the factory. The FAV buttons all work OK and i have configured a couple to navigation destinations and a couple to radio stations and ipod tunes.

The navigation voice was very low to start off with but if you select the option to repeat the last direction command and then the volume, it changes the volume of the voice. My PDC tones are slightly lower volume than my when i had the pro radio in, this cant be changed in the same way, but having used the PDC its not too now.

My antenna from ebay also works no problem, I have mounted it where the center speaker would be, as i have just standard speakers. Its spot on and keeps up to date when i turn or go the wrong way ect.

Ive got some pics to put up, they look the same as the rest of them, Im not quite finished, im waiting on the hose and equipment holder for the dash.

Overall, im very happy with it so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #220
djdaveyg
Rep

I have have been a little too quick to say everything is ok.

Bit of a strange one, if anyone can help.

My climate control unit is working, the display is on and the fans come on when i turn them on, the idrive can make the green lights come on for windows, main and footwell ect.

But heres the issue, there seems to be no tempreture control, it i put the AC on the air is not cool, if i move the temp upto the highest it will go 28oc it does not get hot.

I have checked fuses ect but everything is OK?

Help?
Appreciate 0